Player Watch #19: Josh Schache

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when Tulip changed his username to Tulip yet didnt know why people called Robbie Flower that name.... super cringe. :$

What was your username before the change again Tulip ? Ive forgotten.

Diesel? Tough and grunty and dirty. Surely that’s a satirical nickname… Don’t mind the re-sign though. At least you know he’s fit, shows up on time and doesn’t s**t in Chaplin’s breakfast.
Remember when Tulip changed his username to Tulip yet didnt know why people called Robbie Flower that name.... super cringe. :$
SackLunch I have a new username idea for you

What was your username before the change again Tulip ? Ive forgotten.
Reckon you’ve made this one up, Rude.

It was show some fight but I signed up as Stefan Martin

[/QUOTE]
Reckon you’ve made this one up, Rude.

It was show some fight but I signed up as Stefan Martin

Na, 100% remember it, coz I thought it was SUPER weird when you asked why they called him Tulip after naming yourself that, it's one of those things that is too weird to forget, always stuck with me.

Would it be weird to mention Josh Schache?

Why the handwringing around Schache? Can play all three key positions at a passable level, and clearly doesn't mind being a backup. You can go punt on a dominant guy at VFL level like Fergus Greene at the Hawks, but there's no guarantee they'll do anything.

We are also a good chance of all, or about 3/4, of the following moving on:

Harmes
Grundy
Hibberd
Melksham
Tomlinson
Jordon
McDonald
Dunstan
Smith
Brown

That's a lot of list spots to fill for a club trying to extend their window. It can't all be kids, even if we have about 6 picks in the first 2 rounds.

Can Scache play three key possessions at a ‘passable level’ though? We’ve seen no evidence of that.

Also again this idea that contracted players are going to be terminated with full pay or voluntarily retire. Brown, TMac, Tomlinson, Harmes even Smith if I’m not mistaken. All locked in for 2024. A couple might be traded sure but maybe not either. None are just going to wave bye bye without full payouts.

Can Scache play three key possessions at a ‘passable level’ though? We’ve seen no evidence of that.

Also again this idea that contracted players are going to be terminated with full pay or voluntarily retire. Brown, TMac, Tomlinson, Harmes even Smith if I’m not mistaken. All locked in for 2024. A couple might be traded sure but maybe not either. None are just going to wave bye bye without full payouts.

On Schache, he can play forward, back and ruck at mediocre to poor level in the AFL.

He does bring flexibility over an 18 year old or some mature age player who might be able to play only one of those positions at a mediocre level in the AFL.

On the retiring players under contract, they would consider taking a reduced pay out if their heart is no longer in it, or their body can no longer handle the rigours and requirements of an AFL preseason and the likely endless rehab.

I reckon Brown is the only one mentioned that may voluntarily pull the pin. The others wouldn’t take a reduced pay out to retire because they are either too stubborn (TMac and even he was moving better than I’ve seen for a while in the VFL last week) or too young and want to keep playing (the rest).

On Schache, he can play forward, back and ruck at mediocre to poor level in the AFL.

He does bring flexibility over an 18 year old or some mature age player who might be able to play only one of those positions at a mediocre level in the AFL.

On the retiring players under contract, they would consider taking a reduced pay out if their heart is no longer in it, or their body can no longer handle the rigours and requirements of an AFL preseason and the likely endless rehab.

I reckon Brown is the only one mentioned that may voluntarily pull the pin. The others wouldn’t take a reduced pay out to retire because they are either too stubborn (TMac and even he was moving better than I’ve seen for a while in the VFL last week) or too young and want to keep playing (the rest).

If I’m 30yo with body breaking down and one year left, I’m probably also selfishly sticking around for a last $450k payday. Thought process:
1. I’ve given 10+ years of service so this is effectively my long-service super from the club. 2. I might only have the capacity to earn 30% of that figure for the rest of my working life. And life will hopefully be another 60+ years.

If I’m 30yo with body breaking down and one year left, I’m probably also selfishly sticking around for a last $450k payday. Thought process:
1. I’ve given 10+ years of service so this is effectively my long-service super from the club. 2. I might only have the capacity to earn 30% of that figure for the rest of my working life. And life will hopefully be another 60+ years.
Lots of players would think that way. Brown seems a very high morals type of character though. If I’d pick anyone to forgo cash it would be him. If they have interests outside footy another year not playing is another year delaying their next career too.

But Brown could take the other view that the reason he’s cooked is his knee injury acquired playing footy (for North) so it’s fair play he sticks around and gets a full year’s salary for coming in four times a week and sitting on an exercise bike.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of players would think that way. Brown seems a very high morals type of character though. If I’d pick anyone to forgo cash it would be him. If they have interests outside footy another year not playing is another year delaying their next career too.

But Brown could take the other view that the reason he’s cooked is his knee injury acquired playing footy (for North) so it’s fair play he sticks around and gets a full year’s salary for coming in four times a week and sitting on an exercise bike.

I understand what you’re saying but I don’t think it’s a question of “morals” being stubborn and sticking to a contract an organisation offered you. Especially a sporting club which understands that injuries are going to affect a percentage of its players, usually through no fault of their own. The consequences of excessively long contracts are on the clubs to face for mine. They drafted these long deals. They must accept responsibility for them.

Last edited:
I understand what you’re saying but I don’t think it’s a question of “morals” sticking to a contract an organisation offered you. Especially a sporting club which understands that injuries are going to affect a percentage of its players, usually through no fault of their own. The consequences of excessively long contracts are on the clubs to face for mine. They drafted these long deals. They must accept responsibility for them.
Agree.

I think it’s fine for players to hold clubs to contracts, just as it is clubs to hold players to contracts (Grundy potentially at the end of this year, Freo with Lobb at the end of 2021, Essendon with Daniher first time, Bulldogs with Dunkley first time).

You’ve got a player like Dayne Beams who is clearly at one extreme of squeeze everything I can out of this even if I don’t fulfil my end of the bargain, and Brown who is going to be towards the other end.

Brown will do what he wants of course, but he seems the sort of character to say “I’m being paid to play, my body won’t let me anymore, we could agree something that works for all parties.” instead of the Beams “Gimme, gimme, gimme” approach.

Brown also has the carrot of transitioning into a coaching role at AFLW level which is another factor in what happens.

On this payout thing, here’s the former person who did accounting studies a couple of decades coming out.

Say Brown is on 500k for 2023 and 2024.

The tax year finishes 30 June 2024.

Melbourne say “If you retire, we will pay you less, but we will structure when you get paid so you will pay far less in income tax than if we structured the payments like normal.”

Melbourne ends up ahead as they pay less money out.

Brown ends up ahead because after tax he ends up with more money in his pocket, even though his income is less, due to the timing of the payments being spread over two different tax years. Plus he doesn’t need to turn up to training and rehab and can do something else with his time.

Player agents and list managers would be all over these tricks.

Brown also has the carrot of transitioning into a coaching role at AFLW level which is another factor in what happens.

I do quite like this idea as a compromise. Say a three year coaching role with the women’s side on a reduction in salary. Benny would be great at that. Win - win.

I wouldn’t hold out much hope for TMac to walk into Pert’s office though and say “how can I help the club out here?” Just doesn’t seem like the type for me.

But yeah. Clubs have been going mad in recent years giving players 4 & 5 year deals when really 2 or 3 years would’ve more than sufficed. Player managers seem to have acquired a lot of power in ‘squeezing’ that extra year onto contracts, using the veiled threat of X player walking out for a ‘better offer’ elsewhere.

I agree with Kane Cornes a bit here. Clubs should be more courageous standing firm against this tactic. It ends up being a millstone around the footy dept’s neck having over-the-hill blokes sticking around part their used by date, eating up salary cap and hampering the development of younger players.

Last edited:
Unused sub who is a forward in a very close finals loss, it doesn’t make any sense to me.

Then again, there’s been a few genuine headscratchers in the past fortnight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back