Preview 1st Semi-final: Geelong vs Collingwood, Sat 10 Oct GABBA @ 7.40pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought so too, but if they're trying to replace like for like then they need a more defensive mid. Narkle coming in would need another mid (probably selwood) to completely sacrifice their game. Not sure if that's necessarily wise...

Not sure if anyone has noticed but Narkle doesn’t have the heart or desire to play in home and away games let alone finals. Talented but just doesn’t want it.

Simpson on the other hand has both, even with a smaller body.

If he's committed to improvement as you say, he would't want to go out in straight sets then.
He has an opportunity to ensure it does not go that way by actually picking the correct team to topple Collingwood. Had a similar opportunity to a similar thing last year.
Decided against playing a ruckman v Grundy though.
1 premiership as a coach, 70% all time win loss record, 10 years as coach including 9 finals placements and 6 top four placements. You don’t achieve that unless you have a relentless effort towards excellence and improvement and are also a very good Coach period. Only very simple minded supporters can’t work that out.

Stewart
Henderson
Duncan
Stanley
IN from our R7 encounter

Fort
Steven
Clark
Esava
OUT

PIES have
Madgen
Cox
Cameron
Greenwood
IN

Varcoe
Phillips
Wills
Bosenavulagi
OUT

That's much better for us (every change an improvement) and not much different for them (no stand outs either way)

I think Sav should play too. Not at the expense of a sound Rohan, but instead of a tall defender.

1000% Spot on - leaving him out is a monumental mistake - given how good a mark Moore is

The focus this week from all and sundry re the AFL - its not so much on the Geel club - it is all on Chris Scott and his shiithouse finals record

I I Agree I think he must have requested a trade already, his X factor would have been great. However Scott doesn’t seem to like players with flare
Flair is all well and good but in finals you need consistency and accountability, Narkle has neither.

Simpsons ball use in a final worries me, he was butchering it in the regular season and has no match fitness to come into the game with.

We were poor. I'm not excusing our performance. We had control of the game at half time in play terms, but we didn't have any scoreboard pressure due to missed set shots. Poor kicking (at goal) is poor football. We need to kick infinitely more accurately to be a shot at winning.

Port took their chances in the 3rd Q to win the game, we didn't. That's not structure issue (although there were some), that is the team not taking responsibility and converting when needed them to.
Stanley has gone forward straight after centre bounces ever since hes came back into the side, we basically play 2 key forwards already not sure why so many people are demanding that change.

It’s belichick time! Roughed on Tommy that leaves Moore loving life. He’ll push a defender forward . Our back half structure we’ve used the last 10 weeks will go out the window. It’s classic Scott!
And why are people calling for a late change for 4 possession Sav as if he is actually good?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ohhhh it is gameday! (Just not in QLD yet)
So technically not game day since the state in which the match is to be played is still on yesterday...;)

This team is probably our best 22. Bring Sidebottom in for a season and Collingwood are a top 2 or 3 team.

Really hope we play direct footy with only judicious switching and tempo. If so, win or lose we’ll get a good read on the personnel gaps.

Goes without saying we have to take our chances - it is going to be a tight game. I also don’t want another excuse by the club that we lost due to inaccuracy and there aren’t issues with personnel or game style.

Haven't got any midfielders as emergencies. I'm nervous that Atkins will be brought in for Selwood. Would be a bad move. He would be a lamb to the slaughter against Collingwood's midfield and he doesn't add much to the forward line. Such a pity Narkle is persona non grata to the match committee. He's as good on the inside as anyone in the team. Other clubs will be circling for him.

Geelong has 14 players 28 years of age or above in the team for tomorrow night. 11 are 29 or older. It's Dad's army. I guess they all played well enough last week in a losing team to warrant being selected again. A losing team that was badly exposed for lack of pace.

Simpsons ball use in a final worries me, he was butchering it in the regular season and has no match fitness to come into the game with.
Yep. Stunned me as well. Likewise how people want Esava in- he killed us with his choking turnovers under pressure vs. Eagles and other games too. Henry lucky to still be in the side- zero awareness in tight games.

Disagree. Only 3 of those were really bad misses the rest went as expected due to low % shots. We did however kick 4 fairly lucky goals that are impossible to replicate.

This isn't true. The expected goal stat had us well in front. So as opposed to you just looking and deciding subjectively what should and shouldn't be kicked they have developed a stat based on years and years of historical data. That stat says you are wrong.

Again, why do you assume after every goal is kicked you then proceed to have another shot at the goals?
In some circumstances, missing a shot and then having the opportunity to lock the ball inside your own half of the ground can lead to a quick goal and therefore, you get a 7 point play.
Had that first shot at goal gone through, it goes back to the centre and a whole new set of events play out.

Whenever we did kick a goal, it was Port Adelaide who quickly had the next scoring opportunity so again, what makes you think we would have kicked consecutive goals, go back to the centre, win the clearance (despite being behind in centre clearances) and kick more goals?

At halftime, Port were +12 for tackles, even for clearances, +1 for centre clearances, even for hitouts to advantage. That to me suggests the game was very much an even contest.
When the hear when up in the second half, we couldn't match them and that was the ball game.
Stop with the continual excuses.
The amount of finals we have now lost does not support your argument there.

See this is where you lose the argument and bring your obvious frustration and emotion into it when you reference other finals. They have by definition nothing to do with how the result played out against Port. However I do love your argument at the start of this post. It essentially amounts to no you are wrong its better to miss. How is that your argument. Literally because teams sometimes score a goal after missing you are better off missing.

You cherry pick those stats beautifully as well but here is another one. Based on the shots both teams took we were expected to win. Not based on your subjective emotive feelings on how the game panned out but based on years and years of historical data showing how likely teams are to kick goals from those positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back