Delisted 20. Oscar Brownless (F/S) (2018-2019),(2020-2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh Billy was a very good forward which seems to be overlooked given he played alongside Snr. He did however move to CHB for a year. I think it was 90 or 91.

Not 91. GA Sr retired that year... Stoneham and Brownless were a very good pair. I think it was later than that when BBrownless was looking for form or a change etc..maybe it preceded the monkey is off the bak Billy ...so 94?

I have said before by 93 we should have tried to trade BB for a better backline tall... Roos or someone ..but thats a era ago.. and the game is a lot different now. BB would struggle these days.

Not 91. GA Sr retired that year... Stoneham and Brownless were a very good pair. I think it was later than that when BBrownless was looking for form or a change etc..maybe it preceded the monkey is off the bak Billy ...so 94?

I have said before by 93 we should have tried to trade BB for a better backline tall... Roos or someone ..but thats a era ago.. and the game is a lot different now. BB would struggle these days.
I just messaged by mate. It was 1990. He played about 10 or so games at CHB and the rest forward and still kicked 35 goals.

I just messaged by mate. It was 1990. He played about 10 or so games at CHB and the rest forward and still kicked 35 goals.

Earlier than I thought. I can remeber him playing the Swans up there..at times he looked like he was wearing rollerskates on an ice rink.... backmen often need to be more agile than forwards ..

Earlier than I thought. I can remeber him playing the Swans up there..at times he looked like he was wearing rollerskates on an ice rink.... backmen often need to be more agile than forwards ..
I just had a quick look at his stats for that year and it was his best season disposal wise. Had a few mid to high 20's and polled brownlow votes. Polled 12 for the year.

Im not overly impressed with the mouths talking about this kid or that kid in draft ... its more like a happy circle where everyone is so happy ..and all is great .. and everyone is a bargain.. and everyone did so well. Id love for all the comments to be documented and then placed in the vault and brought out when they are delisted etc .

Having said that I have been fairly confident that he would get to 50+ ... but the club must have been very confident to trade back in. and Oscar has been under the micoscope as much as anyone.. so he has show great resilience. Now .. van we find a rock to put young Mr Henry under it for a year or two...

SS apparently has offered #16 to him so we will see if he likes that or wants to do a GA etc.
That's nice of SS

Mmmm not the way I remember it. I think BB was a Very good forward..much better than what he is recognised as. For years he played second banana ... but he kicked big bags in finals for us..just a shame he never really had a big day in the big one.

From memory, I thought Billy was pretty good in '89. We had a lot of s**t players that day.

Just thinking about the mention of Scooter offering the #16 to Oscar - it will be interesting to see if he wants to play in his fathers number or take on his own number.

Neither Gary or Nathan wore the #5, and Jed turned down Stokes offer of #27, Adam Donohue had a different number to his father, but Tom & Jack both wore the #26, same with Sam & Sean who both wore the #37.

A mixed bag to wearing the fathers number or making a new number their own. If he doesn't take the #16, I wonder if he'll try for the #30 which was his number at the Falcons.

Just thinking about the mention of Scooter offering the #16 to Oscar - it will be interesting to see if he wants to play in his fathers number or take on his own number.

Neither Gary or Nathan wore the #5, and Jed turned down Stokes offer of #27, Adam Donohue had a different number to his father, but Tom & Jack both wore the #26, same with Sam & Sean who both wore the #37.

A mixed bag to wearing the fathers number or making a new number their own. If he doesn't take the #16, I wonder if he'll try for the #30 which was his number at the Falcons.
Stevie J has been in his ear to tell him #20 is available apparently

Bill: What about tonight, having a frothie?
Oscar: might keep it a little bit low key, got a few mates coming over. Just gonna enjoy the night I reckon
Bill: oh Bullshit, you’ll be having a few, don’t worry about that.

Gotta love Bill :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bill: What about tonight, having a frothie?
Oscar: might keep it a little bit low key, got a few mates coming over. Just gonna enjoy the night I reckon
Bill: oh Bullshit, you’ll be having a few, don’t worry about that.

Gotta love Bill :tearsofjoy:

Got to love it when then 18 year old son is far more mature and sensible than his 50+ year old father.

The key here week be setting expectations among the less forward thinking cats fans. He's a project player, and expectations need to be set as such. Taking his dad's number would be the worst idea possible. I'd want to talk him into wearing #74 for a few years at least. We don't want a son of SOS situation. That said he's definitely draftable earlier than we took him on merit. I'm most interested in how the club handles the media/fans.

Leave him alone!
He's a lovable larrikin.

And the pride in his voice was obvious. He loves the club and to have his eldest son recruited to it is a dream come true.

It's like the early 90's again - Ablett, Brownless, Bews and Simpson on the list!

Was funny when OB was announced as our selection that CS & Cooky had a bit of a laugh at the same time....probably over when they snubbed Billy over his harsh and I say fair comments when the cats lost a game (can't recall which game it was)

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brownless did quite well at centre half back in 1990. In 1991 ihe was a full forward as you say. We lost stoneham in 94 for a couple of years. Kind of needed billy back in the forward line when stoneham went down. Brownless was exceptional in the second half of 1994 and first half of 1995 as a centre half forward.

Let's hope Oscar makes a name for himself AND fuels the myth of father/son "leg ups " for the cats.

Listening to the draft brought back thoughts I had about both Scarlett and Ablett in their time. On exposed form we paid overs for them (compared with what today's fs rules would have produced).

Just sayin..

I like that OB listed his heros as Scarlo, Donsy, Kel and Smithy. Not the flashier type stars - but more the dependable lower key team oriented blokes. Means SFA really but I personally like that kind of approach as the ethos of that group is a strong as any and some of that has to rub off on the kid. Exact opposite of the show pony Dad lol

Go Catters

I think the kid will be alright regarding the expectation of being BB son ect he won’t have to go far to be offered advice on that matter.

I think everyone realises he’s a different player to his father, I’m hoping he makes a career for himself and can snag himself a flag with us to have bragging rights back at home.

Doesn’t surprise me that SJ was being cheeky and suggesting his old number to him ...BB would of got a laugh out of that.

Great interview between father and son. Oscar seems very plugged in and a decent kid. Billy giving him the chance to thank his mum, addressing the lateness of his selection, the banter, there was a bit in that beyond what could have been a mostly nonsense chat.

I was a fraction surprised he wasnt sure what happened next with more clarity. I'd have thought after you draft someone, the initial call to give them the news, you'd have someone on staff call soon after to clarify the agenda for the next week, send an email with contracts, times etc.

Looking forward to seeing the get together photos with other drafted players, over analysing their comparitive heights, and first training session clips.

Thanks for posting Billy's highlights videos. It's really helpful for someone like me, who lives interstate + doesn't get much info on young blokes. All I knew was he is Brownless' son. I really like his work in the Centre, the way he kicks goals under pressure + that flukish goal, when it looked like he'd kicked the ball vertically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back