NFL 2005 NFL - Week 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting facts

In the past five seasons, 10 clubs began the year with at least 3-0 records yet did not reach the playoffs. The high-water mark in the equation came in 2002, when six of the seven teams to begin 3-0 failed to make the playoffs.
The rankings for Sept. 27:

POWER RANKINGS
Current Team Previous
1 Indianapolis Colts 2
They're 3-0 and the schedule is in a soft area. They may stay here for a while.
2 New England Patriots 5
They simply don't lose two games in a row -- no matter what the circumstances. Losing Rodney Harrison hurts, but they'll be OK. Aren't they always?
3 Philadelphia Eagles 3
David Akers' winning kick, despite a bad hamstring, sums them up: tough, physical and do what it takes to win. They are the class of the NFC, despite the loss to Atlanta in the opener.
4 Pittsburgh Steelers 1
Bet they'll trade losing to the Pats now for beating them later.(edit >> bookmark this remark>> we'll be BACK) The vaunted offensive line has to play better than it did Sunday.
5 Atlanta Falcons 6
That was a tough, gritty showing in winning at Buffalo. The running game was outstanding, which was needed with Mike Vick hurting.
6 Cincinnati Bengals 7
Unbeaten Bengals? It just doesn't sound right as we move to October. Believe it. Playing Houston at home this week, it will stay that way.
7 Jacksonville Jaguars 8
No matter what they do on offense, throw it all over the place or pound Fred Taylor, the defense is what ultimately wins games. The offensive line has to play better, though.
8 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 9
Jon Gruden for coach of the year? So far he might be. They just might ride the Cadillac all the way to the playoffs. But it's a heck of a unit.
9 Washington Redskins 11
They're 2-0 coming off their bye week. Who would have thought it?
10 Seattle Seahawks 14
Shaun Alexander continues to be a touchdown machine at home, but this is still a tough team to figure out. We have to see them win a big game on the road, don't we?
11 Denver Broncos 16
That was an impressive defensive performance Monday night against the Chiefs. If that continues, watch out for this team.
12 Dallas Cowboys 15
If they had blown the game to the 49ers, Bill Parcells might have quit on the spot. At least they showed something in coming back. (edit: phew ...30 points would be tough to swallow, eh Marcuz ;) ??)
13 Kansas City Chiefs 4
So much for getting the big early lead in the division race. Denver made it look easy Monday night. The injured line really affected the offense.
14 New York Giants 10
They walked into a bad situation playing the Chargers with their season on the line on national television. The defense has been bad, which has to change.
15 St. Louis Rams 19
We know this team will score points. Now comes the tough part: Getting the defense to play better. (edit: do the Rams actually have a D??? everyone knows the Rams win when the opposition O have a stinker or when Bulger connects with his buddies enough times. The Rams D has that last play of thier SB win to hang thier hat onto)
16 Miami Dolphins 25
Nick Saban continues to work wonders with this team.
17 Minnesota Vikings 29
With their season on the line, they came up big. The offense does have a pulse.
18 New Orleans Saints 12
They finally get a home game this week in San Antonio, if that's what you can call it. They're still making way too many mistakes.
(edit: one less mistake is one game closer to a win and I have faith they can do it this week....wonder how JD feels about this week??)
19 Carolina Panthers 13
If this were truly a Super Bowl team, they would have won at Miami. That's not a good sign. (edit: tells us two things: Miami are going to win more games than last season and the SB won't be played on grass next year. :p )
20 San Diego Chargers 24
Beating the Giants might have been a season-saver. Now they head across the country to play the Patriots. That's tough going. (edit: Pats with a depleted D >> game is very winnable for a 45pt scoring Bolts :thumbsu: )
21 Chicago Bears 18
Kyle Orton was terrible against the Bengals, but don't forget he's a rookie. The defense had troubles, too.
22 Buffalo Bills 20
At some point they might want to consider making a quarterback change. J.P. Losman isn't ready. (edit : wait after dropping Saints game thanx...JD would greatly appreciate it also)
23 New York Jets 17
Even before he was hurt again, Chad Pennington couldn't throw a pass through a hanging towel. This team is in big trouble. (edit: can't believe this team still has Vinny's telephone number.... or even worse>> I tipped the Jets for the SB !!)
24 Tennessee Titans 21
The offense came alive but the defense went to sleep. That's what happens with young teams.
25 Cleveland Browns 22
Browns fans should be encouraged by this group's progress. The defense has particularly played well. (edit: yeah, Denver shut the Chiefs down MNF!!)
26 Detroit Lions 23
Maybe they spent their bye week finding a quarterback. We doubt it.
(edit: I reckon the baby blue uniform is not intimidating enough)
27 Baltimore Ravens 27
Maybe they spent their bye week finding an offense. We doubt it.
(edit: Ravens rely on D to snatch & hatch games wide open)
28 Oakland Raiders 26
Raiders in the Super Bowl? Heck, how about winning a game?
(edit: SB??? that's silly talk.They have Moss and the season is slipping away)
29 San Francisco 49ers 30
Mike Nolan has this team scrapping, which is a good sign for the future. The talent level isn't there yet, but give it time.
30 Green Bay Packers 31
They're 0-3 with two losses at home. It's going to be a long season.
31 Arizona Cardinals 28
So much for that preseason talk of this team winning the NFC West. They have no shot. Pity those fans in Mexico who have to watch this team Sunday.
32 Houston Texans 32
At least they didn't lose this week. Bye weeks are good sometimes, and this team needed it. Now they get the undefeated Bengals on the road. Good luck.

Re: Week 4 Insights

Don't know about one less mistake Woodson - try about six.

I was very impressed with our performance in Week 1. Offensively, defensively, special teams all coming to play. I'll forgive the Howard lateral - can't fault the defence for trying to make some plays. The last two weeks though have been nothing short of a disaster.

Two weeks in a row we've fumbled and lost the opening kick-off. Both times the kick returner has been injured. Stallworth and Stecker will probably now share kick-off and punt returns - and if last week is any indication that's not good news for our #2 receiver.

Put our offense under pressure to score and the mistakes will come. The past two weeks we've almost been out of the contest before our offense even took the field. The changes we've made to the o-line don't seem to have improved our running game either. They need to gell as a unit quick smart.

Injuries now will start to bite too. Bellamy will hurt us. We're struggling at CB too with Brown being hurt. Craft has been burnt badly in the past two weeks and the opposition will now target him. I see Azumah has fallen out of favour at the Bears, we could kill two birds with one stone if we went after him.

Not optimistic at all about this week. :(

JeffDunne said:
I was very impressed with our performance in Week 1. Offensively, defensively, special teams all coming to play. I'll forgive the Howard lateral - can't fault the defence for trying to make some plays. The last two weeks though have been nothing short of a disaster.

They need to gell as a unit quick smart.

Refuse to rule out the Saints chances this week. The Bills have headaches @ QB and have let the opposition running game trample them. That's where I think playing in front of a home crowd will inspire something that could be enough to trigger a win. McAllister has to be the PRIME MOVER and perhaps a few less mistakes to start the game off on the wrong foot could do wonders as the Saints need to gell as a team moreso as individuals. Horn is overdue for a crazy celebration stunt so I'll be hanging my 13 points on the Saints this week.

The Bills have been disappointing but so too had the Vikings. :(

Hope you're right Woodson, but I'll reserve my judgement until I see who pratices late this week. I have no doubt the Saints have the talent but you've got to question where the players heads are at. It can't be easy in the circumstances.

Maybe San Antonio will provide the Saints a new vibe. If they want a team badly enough and are supportive of the Saints (unlike at the Superdome where the Saints, and AB in particular, are booed quite often) it may just be the tonic to get the team fired up. While I wouldn't like the Saints to leave New Orleans, logic says we won't play there until at least 2007. I doubt San Antonio will get a team long term, but short term support may be enough to keep the team from LA. In fairness, the Saints players have a lot going on around them atm and it's not surprising the organisation as a whole is struggling.

JeffDunne said:
The Bills have been disappointing but so too had the Vikings. :(

Maybe San Antonio will provide the Saints a new vibe.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NO/8903722

Lick your lips around this story JD.

As for Culpepper & the 'Sota, we all know DC is a quality QB and with the Saints giving the Vikings a jump start, you know that trailing 24-16 can't be that much of an impossible situation unless you give the opposition chances like turnovers & penalties !! Besides only having under 22 minutes possession is strangling ya-selves. Don't think the Saints can play any worse so I think the new home field vibe can only help.

In three games, Buffalo has managed two touchdowns and settled for nine field goals. The Bills had 208 net yards while breaking even on turnovers but had 30+ min of possession. Sacked 4 times also.

Woodson said:
Interesting facts

In the past five seasons, 10 clubs began the year with at least 3-0 records yet did not reach the playoffs. The high-water mark in the equation came in 2002, when six of the seven teams to begin 3-0 failed to make the playoffs.
The rankings for Sept. 27:

12 Dallas Cowboys
If they had blown the game to the 49ers, Bill Parcells might have quit on the spot. At least they showed something in coming back. (edit: phew ...30 points would be tough to swallow, eh Marcuz ;) ??)

That would have been consecutive losses to our big rivals...i would have been ok :) ...especially after my doc subscribes some heavy medication. :D

Its funny that coming into the season we were going to improve on the back of a new high powered defense and a run dominated offense. So far this year its been all about Drew, He is putting up some big numbers with an average recieving corps.

If we can work Peerless "did i drop that?" Price into the rotation then Drew may finally have a deep threat to throw to and that may open up some running lanes for JJ as the safeties drop back to offer protection against the pass. At the minute teams are coming for JJ by loading up 8 and 9 in the box and playing man coverage on Keyshawn and Terry Glenn because they know they cant beat them deep.

The offensive line is doing a great job in giving Drew enough time in the pocket to hit some mid range targets. Whitten, Crayton and Keyshawn are giving Bledsoe some safe targets but we really need to spread the field to help both our passing game and our running game. Having JJ, a small quick back take a heap of punishment is doing us no good at all.

If JJ hits top gear and the defence starts to gel then we may surprise....

BONEHEAD Rams head Coach Martz is exactly what Marcuz alluded to in his tipping summary of Martz >>> a PEANUT !

read on >>>

The Giants led 27-17 at halftime and took advantage of a critical St. Louis turnover early in the third quarter to pull away from the Rams. On an attempted reverse from the Giants 6, Jackson took a pitch from Bulger and botched a pitch to wide receiver Shaun McDonald that was recovered by defensive tackle Fred Robbins.

According to Rams coach Mike Martz, the play should have been run with running back Marshall Faulk, who was on the sideline. :D

"Marshall always does it and Marshall wasn't in the game," he said. "That's an issue for me. We always practice it with Marshall and he's supposed to be in the game. There was some confusion there. That's a coaching deal all the way."

Martz is this weeks nomination for NFL TOOL of the week.

Bet JD is a very happy camper this week.

"They were excited about us being here and they embraced us," Brooks said. "We thank them for it."

John Carney kicked four field goals, Donte' Stallworth grabbed eight receptions for 129 yards and Deuce McAllister rushed for 130 yards for the Saints (2-2), who snapped a two-game losing streak.

But it wasn't merely the crowd that made a difference for the Saints. After committing 10 turnovers in their previous two games, the Saints had none against the Bills and generally negated the sloppy play they showed on the road.

"That's the difference in every ball game," Brooks said. "We didn't do that today."

Have faith JD !! :)

Very happy Woodson. :thumbsu:

Very happy too when the Bills elected to receive - but their first drive had me a little concerned. Big, big play by Fred Thomas saving the kick return with 0:05s left on the clock before the half.

Hell, even Craft made a big play with his interception. Howard and Grant also finally showed up to play.

When I heard Horn wasn't starting I was extremely doubtful our offense could get the job done. Stallworth making some big plays.

No doubt we got a slice of luck. Missed FG and missed 4th down by the Bills were also huge plays.

Here's a video link if you want to watch the highlights

And what about those 49'ers hey? What ball were they playing with in Mexico? Looked like they were playing with soap. :D

The Bears had the week off, but i'm busy laughing that they are leading the NFC North after 4 weeks with a 1-2 record. We suck, but we probably suck slightly less than the rest of the division, since both the teams we lost to are undefeated.

Plus we've got the Browns next week.

Oh, and congrats to your Saints JD, good result.

Woodson said:
6 Cincinnati Bengals 7
Unbeaten Bengals? It just doesn't sound right as we move to October. Believe it. Playing Houston at home this week, it will stay that way.

Go Bengals! For some reason I'm reminded of the song from the movie The Green Mile "Heaven, I'm in Heaven". :thumbsu:

JeffDunne said:
Big, big play by Fred Thomas saving the kick return with 0:05s left on the clock before the half.

How good was that return by McGee? Shame that he didn't get in for a TD (obviously not so much for you, JD :) )

Better than anything I've ever seen from Dante Hall...

Definitely one of the best kick returners the game has seen. Don't sell Hall short though, he's also very good (although his fumble yesterday undid his earlier good work).

What was his run, 82 yards? That would equate to me saying the "F" word around 8 times during that run - followed with a very load "yyyyyeeeeessss" that probably woke the neighbours. :D

All set for the big Monday Night game? Lets hope those Cheeseheads can keep the Panthers on the bottom the NFC South. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw on espn, new power rankings for week 5 ...

1. Colts
2. Bengals :)
3. Buccaneers
4. Falcons
5. Eagles

JeffDunne said:
Definitely one of the best kick returners the game has seen. Don't sell Hall short though, he's also very good (although his fumble yesterday undid his earlier good work).

What was his run, 82 yards? That would equate to me saying the "F" word around 8 times during that run - followed with a very load "yyyyyeeeeessss" that probably woke the neighbours.

:D

And not selling him short, he's a dangerous return man, I just mean I thought McGee's yesterday was better than Hall's aginst the Broncs two (?) years ago, which I considered his best.

All set for the big Monday Night game? Lets hope those Cheeseheads can keep the Panthers on the bottom the NFC South. :thumbsu:

I wish I drank beer so I could cry into one...

Absolutely heart broken, to be honest... Never seen a Packer team 0-4 before...

At least I know Brett still has it... without Walker, Green, Clifton, Franks and Flanagan too...

Good news is... we can STILL win the division... :D

How crap is that NFC Norse??

JD, As far as i'm aware, the roadblock preventing San Antonio from being represented by an NFL franchise is the lack of corporate accommodation at the city's main stadium. Am I correct? It is one of the top 10 most populated cities in the USA.

With regard to my Jets...we are a deadset shambles at the moment. Having read the jetsinsider.com forums over the offseason, there was so much excitment towards the coming season from all supporters of ganggreen. I now feel like I support the Richmond of the NFL!

Brooks Bollinger had no chance against the Ravens over the weekend. Quite a roadtrip to introduce your 3rd string QB against that D. The Jets playcalling become all too predictable with running plays on most 1st & 2nd downs for short yards in the 1st half putting great pressure on Bollinger to come up with long 3rd down passing plays. The guy never had a chance. The Jets coaching staff should have put more faith in the guy. The O-line has been very ineffective so far this season which I think is a major reason for both our QB's going down, and Martin struggling with the run.

mcgarnacle said:
the roadblock preventing San Antonio from being represented by an NFL franchise is the lack of corporate accommodation at the city's main stadium. Am I correct?
The Alamodome holds 65k, with 34 corporate boxes which is apparently significantly less than other NFL stadiums. The feeling that I get from reading other boards is that San Antonio is a Spurs town, NFL or no NFL.
Did like this quote from a New Orleans based fan who attended the game - "The crowd was refreshing and actually made me fight back tears. It was much like watching another man make love to your wife and finding that your wife is enjoying it more than she does with you."

NakedDeadGuy said:
The Alamodome holds 65k, with 34 corporate boxes which is apparently significantly less than other NFL stadiums. The feeling that I get from reading other boards is that San Antonio is a Spurs town, NFL or no NFL.
Did like this quote from a New Orleans based fan who attended the game - "The crowd was refreshing and actually made me fight back tears. It was much like watching another man make love to your wife and finding that your wife is enjoying it more than she does with you."
:D

The whole San Antonio issue has been blown out of all proportion IMO. San Antonio is not that big a population centre despite the stats that people use to suggest otherwise. They are no different to many other cities without a team in that they'd like one, but the NFL have made it clear it's not on the agenda.

If the Saints were to move long-term from New Orleans, there's little doubt that San Antonio would be behind others in the queue waiting for a team. LA is obviously the leagues priority, and other than not having a ready made stadium, LA has everything San Antonio claims to have multiplied by 10.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out. The future of the Superdome and what it's replaced with will be the key to the Saints future in New Orleans. I actually think the hurricane has made the Saints staying far more likely long term.

Very dissapointed in the Cardies so far, thought we were a rela show this season for something decent. Have the passing game to hurt some teams if they can turn it on though.
Dissapointed in Warner and McCown so far, its not often you get two such talented young wide recievers in the one side with Boldin and Fitzy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back