Draft Review 2006 - Redo the 2006 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: re do the 2006 draft now that we have seen them

Where would people put hawkins if he wasnt f/s. I reckon he would be about pick 8..

also re- selwood, anyone give any thought to the notion perhaps its he who makes the players around him better??

Hes the in and under one and gets the hard ball out to the smooth types like ablett, corey and bartel.

Geelong were 2-3 in 2007 after 5 but it was his performance in round 5 where he showed up some of the older boys and the team clicked ever since..

1. Selwood
2. Frawley
3. Tippett
4. Gibbs
5. Boak
6. Riewoldt
7. Luenberger
8. Gumbleton
9. Andres Everitt
10. Jess White

What a draft... Selwood, Frawley, Tippett, Gibbs and Boak have been the standouts for mine, Riewoldt is adding consistancy to his game now and is providing a good target up forward.

1. Selwood
2. Frawley
3. Tippett
4. Gibbs
5. Boak
6. Riewoldt
7. Luenberger
8. Gumbleton
9. Andres Everitt
10. Jess White

What a draft... Selwood, Frawley, Tippett, Gibbs and Boak have been the standouts for mine, Riewoldt is adding consistancy to his game now and is providing a good target up forward.

You got to 8 and made the rest up didn't you?

Pointless thread.

Wouldn't swap Gibbs for anyone.

White, Krakouer and Goldstein have no place in the top ten.

I agree. Assuming Carlton would take a midfielder Gibbs is still the way to go.

Still too early to tell. Essendon fans had been thinking the 2006 draft might be a flop, with Gumby injured, Hislop gone, and only glimpses from Houli, Jetta and Reimers. Only Davey had shown anything, and there were issues with him. :(

Now, on the back of a handful of performances from Jetta and Gumby, and a good year from Davey, and before you know it we'll be saying we won the draft! :D

Reality is, we probably all have to wait a few more years yet to know how the cookie crumbled.

Lachie Hansen top 5? Are you kidding me????

Hansen reminds me a bit of Jack Watts who was skinny and fragile when he first started which has caused a few first impressions to be poor of him. Take my word he is already a very good player that has improved at a consistent rate since he started playing and that shows no signs of stopping for a while as he still has a fair bit of bulking up to do. He is a good height for a KPP, a great contested mark and knows how to read the play well. Gumbleton is ranked quite highly this thread yet I've seen almost all of the Essendon games this year and Hansen has shown at least as much as him.

Hansen reminds me a bit of Jack Watts who was skinny and fragile when he first started which has caused a few first impressions to be poor of him. Take my word he is already a very good player that has improved at a consistent rate since he started playing and that shows no signs of stopping for a while as he still has a fair bit of bulking up to do. He is a good height for a KPP, a great contested mark and knows how to read the play well. Gumbleton is ranked quite highly this thread yet I've seen almost all of the Essendon games this year and Hansen has shown at least as much as him.

Yeah, I wasn't calling him a dud or anything and he is improving but he's certainly not top 5 in his draft on performance as of yet.

Where would people put hawkins if he wasnt f/s. I reckon he would be about pick 8..
It's an interesting question because Jack Riewoldt would be a better player if he was playing for Geelong.Hawkins and Mooney would take pressure off JR and hand him the third or second defender.

Just look at Podsiadly who laps up lace out passes.

Hawkins has been up and down, but he's tracking better than Josh Kennedy at the same age.

For a massive unit, Hawkins is a touch more mobile than Kennedy.

Great game against Brisbane as a second ruck and a resting ruckman.

Kicks goals in the ruck.

It's an interesting question because Jack Riewoldt would be a better player if he was playing for Geelong.Hawkins and Mooney would take pressure off JR and hand him the third or second defender.

Just look at Podsiadly who laps up lace out passes.

Hawkins has been up and down, but he's tracking better than Josh Kennedy at the same age.

For a massive unit, Hawkins is a touch more mobile than Kennedy.

Great game against Brisbane as a second ruck and a resting ruckman.

Kicks goals in the ruck.
good post. People dont realise however, that Geelong dont always go to the KPF's when heading inside 50. Our small forwards arent just crumbers, theyre lead up forwards just as much as moons, pods and hawkins. This is what makes our forward line so dangerous and something that many people (mainly hawthorn fans) cant understand. I believe Hawkins would be travelling just as well as Reiwoldt if the two swapped clubs, as the tiges always look to go to jack.

It does look like hes more of a CHF than a FF as the ruck experiment shows he likes playing further up the ground.

gb:eek:

lol :thumbsu:

Port cleaned up :eek: Pretty good draft all round though.

Port had a good draft but wow you are biased...there is no way Gray is worth pick 4. Decent player but those behind him are better. Stewart at 9 you have got to be kidding...Leunberger will be good, Hansen and even Pettard say hi!!!

IMO it would pan out like so...

1. Selwood - Has to be there atm
2. Gibbs - Squib but still a gun
3. Riewoldt - Currently best KPP out of this draft. Destroyed Frawley the other week. People may think I am bias but just look at what he is doing in the bottom side this year.
4. Tippett - Not having the greatest year but 7 goals last year v dons was awesome.
5 - Gumbleton - Needs more size but injuries are the only thing that has stopped him.
6. Boak - Good midfielder
7. Frawley - Good young FB but hardly worth pick 2 like some have suggested. Riewoldt tore him a new one when he played on him.
8. Luenberger - Still needs 2 years until he hits his peak but is getting better.
9. Hansen - Looks like becoming a decent CHB.

10. Petterd/Gray - Both could fill this position as they are creative forwards in the Nathan Brown mould.

Port had a good draft but wow you are biased...there is no way Gray is worth pick 4. Decent player but those behind him are better. Stewart at 9 you have got to be kidding...Leunberger will be good, Hansen and even Pettard say hi!!!
You probably watch these guys play once a year and you're telling me how good they are?

Gray a decent player? He's about even with Boak so far and has the higher ceiling for improvement. Much more than just a small forward and not comparable with Petterd.

Stewart/Hawkins/Hansen/Gumbleton can be ordered any way you want. Hansen, Gumbleton and Stewart have come on in leaps and bounds this year, Stewart arguably our best defensive player so far this season and the best performed of that lot, but Hansen and Gumby have the potential to be better players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is so annoying when people say that "you probably watch them play once a year". Yeah because I don't live in Adelaide means I don't get to watch them. Like you I don't go to Port games, however I have foxtel and channel 7 and 10 meaning every game is available for me to watch.

Gray does not win enough ball to play in the middle and will always be a food HHF who can maybe play stints in the midfield. He will never be the 4th best player out of this draft.

Stewarts has had a few good games this year and you put him in the top ten? WOW!

Boak is much better than both of them and hence why I put him higher. Not suggesting Gray is no good but he is not going to be the 4th best player from the draft...but hey I am just giving an unbias opinion!

Stewart is also having a good year, but that is all he has done so far and is well behind a raft of other players. Considering you put 3 Port players in the top ten I think you probably need to have another look at what is out there.

Hansen was bloody sensational out of CHF tonight against Brisbane, some of the strongest contested grabs you are likely to see.

Its been worth the wait.

Im pretty sure the consensus was Joel Selwood would have gone number 1 if it wasnt for his injuries? His knees I think from memory were suspect.

Geelong could probably afford to take the risk since they had some great young talent on their list like Bartel and Kelly and Ablett and stuff (easy to point out now, but they were still good talents at the time)

Gibbs was still a great choice by the Blues I reckon, and a safe one too.

But it looks like the risky moves at the draft table seem to be paying off. I know Judd was a massive risk for the Weagles with his dodgy shoulders. :thumbsu:

I can't see why people have Gumby ahead of Hansen at this stage. Gumby has been cruelled by injuries, whilst Hansen this year would be in North's top 5 in our B&F playing as a CHB, and playing as a CHF on Saturday kicked 2 goals 3.

I'm not saying Hansen should be too much higher, but Gumbleton should be below him for now.

Had a very close look at Luenberger the other night, and I am very confident Goldstein is and will be the best ruck from this draft.

Had a very close look at Luenberger the other night, and I am very confident Goldstein is and will be the best ruck from this draft.

Agree.

I was very surprised by Luenbergers complete lack of physical presence.

I can't see why people have Gumby ahead of Hansen at this stage. Gumby has been cruelled by injuries, whilst Hansen this year would be in North's top 5 in our B&F playing as a CHB, and playing as a CHF on Saturday kicked 2 goals 3.

I'm not saying Hansen should be too much higher, but Gumbleton should be below him for now.

I think the fact that Hansen has not set the world on fire going into his 4th season means Gumbleton is still rated higher because of his potential. Hansen has stepped up this year and looked good on the weekend...but so has Gumby. The fact Gumby is just coming back makes people think his ceiling is higher than Hansens.

Both about even atm but I think I would take a risk on Gumbleton.

I think the fact that Hansen has not set the world on fire going into his 4th season means Gumbleton is still rated higher because of his potential. Hansen has stepped up this year and looked good on the weekend...but so has Gumby. The fact Gumby is just coming back makes people think his ceiling is higher than Hansens.

Have you by any chance done any recruitment work for the Richmond Football Club in the last 6 or 7 years?

I see what you're saying, but it's not like Hansen has played every year for four years. He was in our top 3 in the best and fairest last year up until round 5 (where he did a very bad hammy and didn't look the same for a while after). I think it's fair to say this year is his first full season where he has been able to string games together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back