2007-2016 Geelong Cats Vs. Hawthorn Hawks

Which Team? Cats or Hawks

• Geelong Cats

Votes: 120 37.2%
  • Hawthorn Hawks

Votes: 203 62.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

But also including a QF as well as both 2009 games, 2009 being a year Hawthorn missed the top 8 on percentage.

Cool. So did Geelong fail to defend their flag (Hawthorn has defended theirs twice in succession), won 1 less flag, made 1 less GF (Geelong's best is 3 on the trot v Hawthorn's 4 and counting) and has a 1-3 record against Hawthorn in finals.

Also. Are you really claiming a stock standard rd 17 win as some sort of retribution for a lost flag. I guess if you are counting 1880s GDFL success well then why the hell not :drunk:

I feel as though you haven't watched a lot of football. You mention the Cats' best and then follow that up with the 2008 GF as a reference in which we were far, far from our best. Feel free to look at any of the next 11 H&A games after the 2008 GF (given they all fall in the period that the OP is referring to) between Geelong and the Hawks. The Cats winning record over that period of time (we won 11 straight against Hawthorn) is an amazing achievement for a team that wouldn't get within 6 goals of the opponent when both teams are at their best, don't you think? :rolleyes:
All geelong fans need to understand that Hawthorn won the '08 flag fair and square. You guys mightn't have produced your A grade game that
day but we did and denied you guys the win. Hawthorn's decision making didn't melt under pressure unlike geelong and you had the advantage of a
minimum 6 free kick related goals to help you along. If a team isn't at their best gf day - expect to lose.

All geelong fans need to understand that Hawthorn won the '08 flag fair and square. You guys mightn't have produced your A grade game that
day but we did and denied you guys the win. Hawthorn's decision making didn't melt under pressure unlike geelong and you had the advantage of a
minimum 6 free kick related goals to help you along. If a team isn't at their best gf day - expect to lose.

No difference between Geelong 2008 and Hawthorn 2012. Of course the Cats werent dudded on Preliminary Final scheduling though...

Pfft. Dynasty is one of the most flippantly overused terms of football. Like Port Adelaide 2013-14 its extremely doubtful Port Adelaide would have established a dynasty after 2007. There have only really been 5 dynasties over the last 50 years...

Richmond 1967-1982 (5 flags, 7 GFs)
Carlton 1968-1985 (7 flags, 10 GFs)
Hawthorn 1971-1991 (8 flags, 12 GFs)
Brisbane 2001-04 (3 flags, 4 GFs)
Geelong 2007-2011 (3 flags, 4 GF's and counting)
Hawthorn 2008-2016 (4 flags, 5 GFs and counting)

Edited it for you mate you missed one out.

I guess Port were destined for great things right?

We honestly were with the young talent we had at the time. If 07 hadn't scarred the club for years afterwards, we wouldn't have gone through what we did from 2009-2012 and you mightn't have had a 3peat to brag about. That's not me trying to be some one eyed supporter either, we were genuinely set for a good 7-10 year run at the top.

Really? A clearly inferior Hawthorn side almost rolled the 2011 Collingwood side. So much for them being nigh on invincable. If you want to acknowledge a weak year look no further than 2011...

Collingwood 20-2
Geelong 19-3
Hawthorn 18-4 (playing the second half of the season without Roughead)
West Coast 17-5
The 2011 Collingwood lost to no team all year besides one. That side was miles ahead of the three interstate sides of the last 3 Grand Finals. No matter though, we gave out a generous thumping to both Collingwood and Hawthorn to cap off our dynasty. :thumbsu:

Agreed. If I had to compare I'd say:

Collingwood 2011 > St. Kilda 2009 > Sydney 2014/Port Adelaide 2007 > Fremantle 2013 > West Coast 2015
That Port team finished 15-7 with a percentage of 113%. They were good ordinary team. Since 2000 only one other team has finished 2nd with a record of 15-7 or less and that was another good ordinary team in Collingwood in 2003.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread was never going to end well. I'd say fans of both clubs would be very happy but fans of the rest would probably wish we went away. Well, Geelong have but Hawthorn are still here. I personally DGAF because as an old bastard I remember the days when a good year was when we got to the Elimination Final, then the Blight era when we got rolled in four Grannies. I'll take three flags over that anyday.

Cool. So did Geelong fail to defend their flag (Hawthorn has defended theirs twice in succession), won 1 less flag, made 1 less GF (Geelong's best is 3 on the trot v Hawthorn's 4 and counting) and has a 1-3 record against Hawthorn in finals.

Also. Are you really claiming a stock standard rd 17 win as some sort of retribution for a lost flag. I guess if you are counting 1880s GDFL success well then why the hell not :drunk:
Where did I say any of that you ********* :drunk:

On reflection, the OP's Geelong team left out quite a few who could / should be in a best of:

Geelong Cats
FB- Milburn - Scarlett - Taylor
HB- Enright - Egan - Mackie
C- Corey - Selwood - Kelly
HF- Bartel - Mooney - Chapman
FF- Johnson - Hawkins - Stokes
R- Ottens - Ablett - Dangerfield
INT- From, Harley, Wojcinski, Lonergan, Ling, Rooke, Podsiadly, Motlop, Guthrie, Duncan, Blicavs, Duncan, Hunt, Menzel.

On reflection, the OP's Geelong team left out quite a few who could / should be in a best of:

Geelong Cats
FB- Milburn - Scarlett - Taylor
HB- Enright - Egan - Mackie
C- Corey - Selwood - Kelly
HF- Bartel - Mooney - Chapman
FF- Johnson - Hawkins - Stokes
R- Ottens - Ablett - Dangerfield
INT- From, Harley, Wojcinski, Lonergan, Ling, Rooke, Podsiadly, Motlop, Guthrie, Duncan, Blicavs, Duncan, Hunt, Menzel.

Stokes over Duncan and Ling?

On a side note, Joel Corey was a seriously underrated player IMO.

Stokes over Duncan and Ling?

On a side note, Joel Corey was a seriously underrated player IMO.
Interchange isn't like the old 19th and 20th. Stokes was arguably our best small forward.

Back