Autopsy 2016 Brownlow Medal - Winner: P. Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy for him, deserved it after a great year. There's too much bitterness from some Crows supporters which I guess is understandable.

It's tough to see a player who just left win a Brownlow, especially when said player leaving has left such a huge hole in the side which ultimately became the weakness that possibly has cost us a premiership.

But you have to move on and applaud what he has achieved. Even if it stings a little.

Happy for him, deserved it after a great year. There's too much bitterness from some Crows supporters which I guess is understandable.

It's tough to see a player who just left win a Brownlow, especially when said player leaving has left such a huge hole in the side which ultimately became the weakness that possibly has cost us a premiership.

But you have to move on and applaud what he has achieved. Even if it stings a little.
Crows may have the last laugh, a bit like WCE with Josh Kennedy. Long after Judd has retired, Kennedy will still be kicking goals

I'm not watching his speech but after watching him do a lot of geelong media and general media this season I simply have no idea, other than tall poppy syndrome, why he cops it so much. Plays bloody hard but not dirty, speaks intelligently, speaks respectfully of both clubs he's played for and generally brushes off some of the over the top things that are said and written about regarding his football.

So what if he surfed in a f***ing suit - it was a TV promo ffs, not a documentary.

I liked him at Adelaide and I like him at my club. Listening to apparent body language professionals try and claim he is some sort of head-up-own-rectum love job isn't going to alter that.

I have no idea why anyone wouldn't like Dangerfield. He's been one of my favorite players for years now. He's an absolute gun and seems like a class act all the way.

I have no idea why anyone wouldn't like Dangerfield. He's been one of my favorite players for years now. He's an absolute gun and seems like a class act all the way.

It's tall poppy syndrome dude, I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it.

It's particularly ugly when people want to demonise him for being nothing other than a family man who enjoys the simple pleasures in life (like surfing and fishing), who just happens to be ******* good at footy as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Dangerfield and Parker swapped places Parker would win the Brownlow. It is in effect a midfielders award and a huge aspect that goes unnoticed is if you have teammates good enough to take votes from you. Danger has basically nobody except Selwood. Look at the respective top 5:

35 - Patrick Dangerfield
18 - Joel Selwood
8 - Corey Enright
6 - Steven Motlop
3 - Cameron Guthrie

26 - Luke Parker
21 - Dan Hannebery
17 - Lance Franklin
14 - Josh Kennedy
12 - Tom Mitchell

The way to win the award is to be on a team good enough to win more games than they lose, but not so good that you have too many players capable of taking your votes. Geelong is in the perfect sweet spot. So was Fremantle last year. Of course Ablett is the exception that proves the rule because he is an other worldy talent but when it's mere mortals competing for it comes down to having good but not great teammates.

If Dangerfield and Parker swapped places Parker would win the Brownlow. It is in effect a midfielders award and a huge aspect that goes unnoticed is if you have teammates good enough to take votes from you. Danger has basically nobody except Selwood. Look at the respective top 5:

35 - Patrick Dangerfield
18 - Joel Selwood
8 - Corey Enright
6 - Steven Motlop
3 - Cameron Guthrie

26 - Luke Parker
21 - Dan Hannebery
17 - Lance Franklin
14 - Josh Kennedy
12 - Tom Mitchell

The way to win the award is to be on a team good enough to win more games than they lose, but not so good that you have too many players capable of taking your votes. Geelong is in the perfect sweet spot. So was Fremantle last year. Of course Ablett is the exception that proves the rule because he is an other worldy talent but when it's mere mortals competing for it comes down to having good but not great teammates.

So how did Bartel win it?
Swan?
Judd?
Cousins?

Maybe this year lines up with your analysis but it's pretty hard to make a case that it is a rule of thumb.

35 - Patrick Dangerfield
18 - Joel Selwood
8 - Corey Enright
6 - Steven Motlop
3 - Cameron Guthrie

26 - Luke Parker
21 - Dan Hannebery
17 - Lance Franklin
14 - Josh Kennedy
12 - Tom Mitchell

Judd 2010 says gday. If Danger got Geelong to a prelim all on his own then wow what a player.

35 - Patrick Dangerfield
18 - Joel Selwood
8 - Corey Enright
6 - Steven Motlop
3 - Cameron Guthrie

26 - Luke Parker
21 - Dan Hannebery
17 - Lance Franklin
14 - Josh Kennedy
12 - Tom Mitchell

Bartel and Ablett's first sort of kills that argument.

Tall poppy syndrome - people just have to cut champions and heroes down to feel better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back