Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolton is building quite strongly. I wouldn't quite have him top 5, given his green patch is still recent. But looking likely to reach his potential. Has a lot of line breaking pace and confidence at the moment.

He and Ridley would be the two most improved from 2019 to 2020
Simpkin riding high on his strong end to 2019 as well.

So where do you guys rank Bolton ?

Not top 5 , not top 10?
Players who I’d take over him easily (no order):
Mcgrath
Taranto
McCluggage
Simpkin
Perryman
Ridley
English
Ryan
Stewart
R Marshall

at best he’s 11th. Don’t get me wrong, he looks a nice player, what I’ve seen maybe a Titch Edwards level, I just think every player above is already better than him and likely to keep that trajectory.

1. McCluggage
  2. Taranto
  3. Simpkin
  4. English
  5. Marshall (StK)
  6. Ridley
  7. Perryman
  8. McGrath
  9. Bolton
  10. Berry
  11. Stewart
  12. Marshall (Port)
  13. Lipinski
  14. Ratugolea
  15. Ryan
  16. Logue
  17. Bowes
  18. Long
  19. Waterman
  20. SPS
Not sure if I've missed anyone obvious, trying to make the list from scratch.

Players who I’d take over him easily (no order):
Mcgrath
Taranto
McCluggage
Simpkin
Perryman
Ridley
English
Ryan
Stewart
R Marshall

at best he’s 11th. Don’t get me wrong, he looks a nice player, what I’ve seen maybe a Titch Edwards level, I just think every player above is already better than him and likely to keep that trajectory.
Respect for the Ryan love, almost single handidly keeping our backline in the game at the moment despite playing on players with 10cm reach

1. McCluggage
  2. Taranto
  3. Simpkin
  4. English
  5. Marshall (StK)
  6. Ridley
  7. Perryman
  8. McGrath
  9. Bolton
  10. Berry
  11. Stewart
  12. Marshall (Port)
  13. Lipinski
  14. Ratugolea
  15. Ryan
  16. Logue
  17. Bowes
  18. Long
  19. Waterman
  20. SPS
Not sure if I've missed anyone obvious, trying to make the list from scratch.
Don't think Berry gets enough love. Been playing at a consistently high level for over a year now.

Don't think Berry gets enough love. Been playing at a consistently high level for over a year now.
Yeah only thing that prevents me rating him higher is I think Taranto, Simpkin and McGrath all have potential to hit a higher level than Berry (as good as he is), and I feel inside mids are probably the most easily replaceable role in the game. On output so far he's top 5

I find it interesting that Bolton is not considered a unanimous top 10 prospect of his draft class when

1. He plays in the best team over the last 3 years
2. He is the youngest out of everyone in his draft pool
3. he is rated the best player in his draft pool via AFL player ratings

I personally think it is laughable.

I find it interesting that Bolton is not considered a unanimous top 10 prospect of his draft class when

I don’t know why I’m doing this but those 10 I listed above him have rising star awards, B&F’s, AA/squad appearances/in discussions this year, 22under22 appearances etc

I’m happy for you to rate him however you want but given the names above him and the period he’s displayed it over it’s not laughable if you don’t rate him top 10. He’s a supposed midfielder who’s had more than 20 touches 3 times in 34 games and if his 2020 is so special he’s averaging 1.3 goals, 13 touches and less than 2 clearances a game. Nobody is saying he’s a bad player or not promising but he’s just not demonstrated things to a level and for a period many others have.

1. What does that have to do with Bolton as an individual? If Richmond had someone like the 10 or so players that are better than him, chances are they would be an even better team.
2.and?
3.and?

It is pretty laughable that you have just decided to pretend the extremely talented top 10 of this draft simply doesn't exist.

I don’t know why I’m doing this but those 10 I listed above him have rising star awards, B&F’s, AA/squad appearances/in discussions this year, 22under22 appearances etc

I’m happy for you to rate him however you want but given the names above him and the period he’s displayed it over it’s not laughable if you don’t rate him top 10. He’s a supposed midfielder who’s had more than 20 touches 3 times in 34 games and if his 2020 is so special he’s averaging 1.3 goals, 13 touches and less than 2 clearances a game. Nobody is saying he’s a bad player or not promising but he’s just not demonstrated things to a level and for a period many others have.

This is the problem with your analysis in my view using basic stats as a KPI

1. Richmond as team gets less of the ball than most teams, less clearances than most teams yet has won 2 of the last 3 flags, so basic stats are largely irrelevant

2. Bolton is a Mid/fwd so of course he gets less of a chance to the get the bill than a pure mid

3, The stats that actually matter in the Richmond game plan, meters gained, inside 50s, FWD 50 tackles , you ignore

In any case , this thread seems to be struggling to understand Boltons value , I will come back when you all catch up lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If 2016 played a game vs 2018 who would win? 18 has top line talent but would the depth of 16 keep em competative?
Interesting

Ryan Logue Stewart
Battle Ridley Bowes
Perryman McGrath Clug
Ainsworth Ratugolea Parfitt
Bolton T.Marshall English
R.Marshall Taranto Simpkin
Berry Zurhaar Florent SPS

vs

Wilkie Collins Quaynor
Thomas Lukosius Hamill
Blakey Walsh Duursma
Sturt M.King Stack
Rankine B.King Rozee
Williams Smith Hately
Butters Rowbottom Ham Berry

2018 is going to get slaughtered in the ruck and runs a small midfield to boot.
Lack of KPD probably hurts them too.
but the 2018 fwd line is freakishly good.

im backing 2016 in. but probably a handful from 2018 still to make an impression

Last edited:
Interesting

Ryan Logue Stewart
Battle Ridley Bowes
Perryman McGrath Clug
Ainsworth Ratugolea Parfitt
Bolton T.Marshall English
R.Marshall Taranto Simpkin
Berry Zurhaar Florent SPS

vs

Wilkie ??? Quaynor
Thomas Lukosius Hamill
Blakey Walsh Duursma
Sturt M.King Stack
Rankine B.King Rozee
??? Smith Hately
Butters Rowbottom Ham Berry

2018 is going to get slaughtered in the ruck and runs a small midfield to boot.
Lack of KPD probably hurts them too.
but the 2018 fwd line is freakishly good.

im backing 2016 in. but probably a handful from 2018 still to make an impression
2018 really is stacked for forwardline talent, some decent names missing out as well. You could probably put Williams from WC in the ruck, supporters are pretty big on him and there isnt much else to put there. Was Collins re-drafted in 2018 by GC, even as a pre-selection? Would solve the FB issue

2018 really is stacked for forwardline talent, some decent names missing out as well. You could probably put Williams from WC in the ruck, supporters are pretty big on him and there isnt much else to put there. Was Collins re-drafted in 2018 by GC, even as a pre-selection? Would solve the FB issue
ah yeah. he was too.
ill add him in.

Williams will need to do as ruck :p

So where do you guys rank Bolton ?

Not top 5 , not top 10?
Just checked, appears I had him 20th 6 weeks ago. I think he'd be higher now, but apart from 3-4 players there's not that much to choose from between the next 20 or so.

You know what’s funny?

Peeps don’t think Bolton is in the top 10 of the 2016 draft, but afl player ratings have him as the 26th best player in the ENTIRE league this year

I no longer believe he is ranked 3rd in his draft.

Due to his age, and output, I now rate him the number 1 player in his draft pool.

Not one of his peers is in better form, nor do any of them have a higher ceiling, and he is younger than all of them

You know what’s funny?

Peeps don’t think Bolton is in the top 10 of the 2016 draft, but afl player ratings have him as the 26th best player in the ENTIRE league this year

Due to his age, and output, I now rate him the number 1 player in his draft pool.

Not one of his peers is in better form, nor do any of them have a higher ceiling, and he is younger than all of them

What draft was Balta again, he should be number 1 as well.

Do you know who else is under rated from Richmond, Marlion Pickett, reckon he'd go number 1 from his draft as well.

Incredible drafting team down at the Tigs

You know what’s funny?

Shocking troll

Remove this Banner Ad

Back