List Mgmt. 2016 Trade/FA period is underway! The official thread (Check OP for official updates)

Remove this Banner Ad

With the Gibbs trade currently going nowhere, could/should we take some time to look at other trade options - specifically the trading of Adelaide players.

We currently have multiple players who are out of contract, or who have been discussed as likely trade options. Here are my thoughts on where they stand:
CEY - Contracted for 2017, says he wants to stay (given Thompson's reduced status). Will almost certainly be an Adelaide Crow in 2017.
Lyons - Out of contract, but has been offered a contract for 2017 (albeit not as good as he was expecting). It seems that Adelaide would be happy to trade him, with North & GC apparently interested. Lyons apparently wants to stay. I think he'll be an Adelaide Crow in 2017, albeit on a lesser contract - possibly even a 12-month "Dead Man Walking" contract.
Grigg - Out of contract, there are no reports that he's been offered 2017 contract, and I think it's unlikely that the club will be making him any offers. Hasn't been delisted, so Adelaide were probably hoping to find some interest at the trade table. No rumours of any interested clubs at this stage. I think he'll be delisted as soon as the trading period ends. Whether another club signs him as a DFA, or ends up at Norwood, only time will tell.
Henderson - Out of contract, and there are no rumours that he's been offered a 2017 contract. Qualifies for Unrestricted Free Agency, but so far there have not been any reports of clubs interested in signing him. Adelaide has said that they're happy for him to leave as a UFA, so he's clearly not a "required player". I think this is the end of the road for Henderson. Adelaide don't want him, and apparently none of the other clubs do either. I think he'll be delisted if he can't find any takers as a UFA (and I don't see that happening now).
Dear - Out of contract, and there are no rumours of a contract offer for 2017. I think Adelaide will eventually offer Dear a contract, but in the meantime I think they would be prepared to trade him if the right opportunity came along. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him being included in the Gibbs trade. I also think that his contract offer has been delayed while they wait for the trading period to end, so they know how much they have left in the cap before making offers to him & Cheney.
Cheney - Out of contract, and there are no rumours of a contract offer for 2017. Unlike Dear, I don't think Cheney is on the trade table. I think the club is just waiting to see how much salary cap space they have left (after trading), before making him an offer. I think it is highly likely that Cheney will be an Adelaide Crow in 2017.

Have I missed anyone (not counting the rookies)?

What are your thoughts? Do you agree/disagree? Where do you see these players ending up at the end of the trading period?

Reason no talk of Cheney re-signing for 2017 is cause he already has contract. Been great for us...love his style of no nonsense defence

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You wouldn't play Thommo Rocky and Mrouch in the same team.
IMO impossible .......interesting that Hawthorn move on Sam Mitchell only after securing Tom Mitchell ......yes the main reason was TPP, however IMO similar slowness to us in the Hawthorn midfield, playing both Mitchells, Lewis and cameos by Hodge, made that midfield too slow

I think they're comparing them at this point in time. It's fair to say.
yes they are .....terribly unfair to Thommo .....compare the 26 yo Thommo to 26 yo Rockliff ......Thommo wins easily

Reason no talk of Cheney re-signing for 2017 is cause he already has contract. Been great for us...love his style of no nonsense defence

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Since when?

I doubt he would have signed a 3 year deal with the hawks in 2013 and the crows would not have given him a 3 year deal when we traded for him in 2014.

And i can not find any evidence of him signing a new contract this year.

I often laugh over my morning coffee when reading Rucci's desperate spin in the paper. Firstly, all the Gibbs made-up trash and this today for instance:

Rooch: Contracted ruckman Matthew Lobbe also has not opened doors.

Translation: No one wants Matthew Lobbe.

Rooch: Contracted midfielder Brendon AhChee, who was asked by Gold Coast to consider moving to the Suns.

Translation: AhChee asked Port Adelaide to trade him to Gold Coast so he can play with his brother.
Heard he massively values a club with history, culture, a plan for the future, no drug users and the ability to play infront of thousands of band-wagoners though.........so it was a clear cut decision to choose the suns.

2012 - re-signs with hawks

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...eyes-flag-20121101-28ms2.html?deviceType=text

The Hawks have this week re-signed youngsters Taylor Duryea, Mitch Hallahan, Angus Litherland and Will Langford, while Kyle Cheney, Max Bailey and Brent Guerra have also recommitted. They have also signed former Geelong midfielder Jonathan Simpkin, who played four matches this season.

Would not have been a 4 year deal. Makes more sence for this contract 2013 and 14 (2 year deal) and then traded to the crows (15 and 16) another 2 year deal.

More likely he is out of contract unless KrissCross canproduce a quote to say anything ese

Talk was yesterday that Caddy was interested in going to Richmond, Richmond want him but Geelong don't want to give up a player for Delidio as part of the trade.
IIRC Geelongs position is reported as being Caddy for Delidio in a straight swap is "overs" in Geelongs opinion ......the other issue is Delidio's contract $$$ which is high, and outside what Geelongs TPP model is

Can't get Dangerfield to agree to a modest $$contract compared to the open market ...and then bring Delidio at 30 on "overs" .........Geelong it appears want Delidio to play for less $$$ or Richmond to pickup part of the tab

Yes but 26yo Thommo doesn't exist anymore - the question isn't who was the best player, but who is.
Yes and that's a fair position ......i got the impression the original post was more career comparison than the now .......now i may have misconstrued the post?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any thought on going for Jordan Lewis if we could get him like S Mitchell. As good as Gibbs and we keep 13.
If he would move interstate ......absolutely a great idea

The other question though .....if Melbourne get Lewis ....what must Trengove be thinking now?

:p:p Utter rubbish .......once again people comparing players, one in his prime versus one at the end of his career .....this statement is a complete understating of how good Thommo was over his career

Depends on the context that 'class' is being used. Thommo has been a champ, but normally described as a beast type of player. Class is sometimes used to describe the style of a player rather than overall quality. I can't speak for Rocky in that sense, certainly saw SFA of him the last couple of years. I'd only watch Brisbane if I was employed to do so.

With the Gibbs trade currently going nowhere, could/should we take some time to look at other trade options - specifically the trading of Adelaide players.

We currently have multiple players who are out of contract, or who have been discussed as likely trade options. Here are my thoughts on where they stand:
CEY - Contracted for 2017, says he wants to stay (given Thompson's reduced status). Will almost certainly be an Adelaide Crow in 2017.
Lyons - Out of contract, but has been offered a contract for 2017 (albeit not as good as he was expecting). It seems that Adelaide would be happy to trade him, with North & GC apparently interested. Lyons apparently wants to stay. I think he'll be an Adelaide Crow in 2017, albeit on a lesser contract - possibly even a 12-month "Dead Man Walking" contract.
Grigg - Out of contract, there are no reports that he's been offered 2017 contract, and I think it's unlikely that the club will be making him any offers. Hasn't been delisted, so Adelaide were probably hoping to find some interest at the trade table. No rumours of any interested clubs at this stage. I think he'll be delisted as soon as the trading period ends. Whether another club signs him as a DFA, or ends up at Norwood, only time will tell.
Henderson - Out of contract, and there are no rumours that he's been offered a 2017 contract. Qualifies for Unrestricted Free Agency, but so far there have not been any reports of clubs interested in signing him. Adelaide has said that they're happy for him to leave as a UFA, so he's clearly not a "required player". I think this is the end of the road for Henderson. Adelaide don't want him, and apparently none of the other clubs do either. I think he'll be delisted if he can't find any takers as a UFA (and I don't see that happening now).
Dear - Out of contract, and there are no rumours of a contract offer for 2017. I think Adelaide will eventually offer Dear a contract, but in the meantime I think they would be prepared to trade him if the right opportunity came along. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him being included in the Gibbs trade. I also think that his contract offer has been delayed while they wait for the trading period to end, so they know how much they have left in the cap before making offers to him & Cheney.
Cheney - Out of contract, and there are no rumours of a contract offer for 2017. Unlike Dear, I don't think Cheney is on the trade table. I think the club is just waiting to see how much salary cap space they have left (after trading), before making him an offer. I think it is highly likely that Cheney will be an Adelaide Crow in 2017.

Have I missed anyone (not counting the rookies)?

What are your thoughts? Do you agree/disagree? Where do you see these players ending up at the end of the trading period?
Vader, think that's close to the situation, although it appears the club has confirmed Cheney has a contract for 2017

Grigg will be delisted .......done

Henderson is exploring FA ......IMO if he chooses to stay given no suitors, Adelaide will provide a contract

Still think we need to get a 2nd round ......either to keep & use, or use it the Gibbs deal ....IMO if we give up #13, the club will not want it's first pick to be a 3rd round ?

On that basis .....i see Lyons leaving ......i'm also interested in what happens with Otten?

Vader, think that's close to the situation, although it appears the club has confirmed Cheney has a contract for 2017

Grigg will be delisted .......done

Henderson is exploring FA ......IMO if he chooses to stay given no suitors, Adelaide will provide a contract

Still think we need to get a 2nd round ......either to keep & use, or use it the Gibbs deal ....IMO if we give up #13, the club will not want it's first pick to be a 3rd round ?

On that basis .....i see Lyons leaving ......i'm also interested in what happens with Otten?

I know players like Grigg, Shaw, Hendo and Otten are touted to being cut.
But my question is how many spots do we need to fill with probably very little in the way of decent picks.
we already have VB and Jeanchy gone, Probably Lyons and I get the feeling there is one more but can't put my finger on it.
That is already 3-4 list changes, Hopefully we bring in Gibbs and Rocky.
My question is (and it is a question not a statement) how many spots will we need to clear since we wont have many draft picks

Otten is contracted for 2017, and I would be extremely surprised if there was any interest in him from any of the other clubs.
But my question is how many spots do we need to fill with probably very little in the way of decent picks.
we already have VB and Jeanchy gone, Probably Lyons and I get the feeling there is one more but can't put my finger on it.
My question is (and it is a question not a statement) how many spots will we need to clear since we wont have many draft picks
Lowden is the delisted player you couldn't remember.

We currently have 3 vacancies on our senior list. We have to make a minimum of 3 selections at the National Draft. If we land Gibbs, then we need to create at least one more vacancy before the draft. This would probably be Grigg, possibly Henderson, possibly both. If we land both Gibbs and Rocky, then Grigg and Henderson would both have to go.

I think the club would prefer to trade Grigg, and lose Hendo as a UFA. They would then take the picks received to the draft. Unfortunately, there don't appear to be any buyers for either player.

Otten & Shaw are unlikely to be cut, as he's already contracted for next year (was given a 2-year contract this time last year). If Shaw goes, it would be as a retirement. It may be in the club's best interests to keep him on the list as a retired player, this would allow us to include his 2017 salary in the 2017 salary cap (rather than having to pay him out under this year's cap), while also allowing us the flexibility to upgrade a rookie if/when required.

Otten is contracted for 2017, and I would be extremely surprised if there was any interest in him from any of the other clubs.

Lowden is the delisted player you couldn't remember.

We currently have 3 vacancies on our senior list. We have to make a minimum of 3 selections at the National Draft. If we land Gibbs, then we need to create at least one more vacancy before the draft. This would probably be Grigg, possibly Henderson, possibly both. If we land both Gibbs and Rocky, then Grigg and Henderson would both have to go.

I think the club would prefer to trade Grigg, and lose Hendo as a UFA. They would then take the picks received to the draft. Unfortunately, there don't appear to be any buyers for either player.

Otten & Shaw are unlikely to be cut, as he's already contracted for next year (was given a 2-year contract this time last year). If Shaw goes, it would be as a retirement. It may be in the club's best interests to keep him on the list as a retired player, this would allow us to include his 2017 salary in the 2017 salary cap (rather than having to pay him out under this year's cap), while also allowing us the flexibility to upgrade a rookie if/when required.

Don't have to make 3 selections in the Draft just have to turn over min 3 places, Reference last year only used 2 picks in national draft.

IMO we'll upgrade 2 possibly 3 rookies
Jeansch, VB, Lowden, Grigg out .....possibly Shaw .....that makes potentially 5 out

Gibbs, ROB and IMO Greenwood in .... that makes 3 in and only one required draft pick ATS

So currently more spots than picks / trades coming in .....may mean we upgrade more than 2 Rookies (Beach / Keath) .....or only one if Shaw plays

I disagree ......believe Otten has value due to him being a mobile tall, who can play back and forward

Will Otten be thinking he can get back into the side ......if he has doubts, won't surprise if he seeks a new home ......there'll be plenty of suitors

Remove this Banner Ad

Back