BigFooty Official 2017 Big Footy Phantom Draft .....Trial Run (Starts Monday 9am)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are the best players who were overlooked in the Championships for whatever reason? Guys like Josh Begley, Oliver etc

Is Callum Porter a guy who could surprise some on draft day?

For me - not in this draft. It's weak as already, if anyone was to standout they would've been seen now.

Porter playing very good footy for Gippy and I've liked his work - but he won't be going in the first round like an Oliver bolter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hit and miss today so feel free to skip over me and I'll pick when I come online.

Very well... Given this..

# 75 Collingwood - Callan Wellings (VIC)
Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 181cm, 71kg
Recruited from: Greater Western Victoria Rebels
Projected draft range: Second round onwards
Similar to: Bernie Vince
July Ranking: 26
Rationale: Has featured in the beasts for Greater Western Victoria Rebels in all eight games he has played, demonstrating consistency as a ball winner while also using the ball efficiently.
Strengths:
Contested ball winning
Stoppage work
Clearances
Gets to the right spots at stoppages
Production
Tackling
Movement in traffic
Agile
Versatility
Skills
Clean at ground level
Scoreboard impact
Weaknesses:
Top-age
On the small side

--
Wellings as an overager this year has been in the bests a TAC Cup high 9 times from 9 games, including being named Greater Western Victoria Rebels' best in five of those nine matches.

Wellings displays the versatility to play midfield (inside or outside) or on a flank at either end. He has an complete game, displaying clean skills, strong contested ball winning ability and also has some pace to him.

Playing his last three matches in the VFL for North Ballarat he has improved with each game.

Why Wellings to Collingwood? Best available with his relative skills, pace and versatility making Wellings an ideal list fit.

This is hilarious.

National Champs winning Vic Metro leadership member
TAC Cup premiership player as bottom ager
AFL Academy Level 2 member
197cm/93kgs
Key forward/ruck.

Doesn't even make top 70?

Can I have some of what you guys are smoking?
Which player are you referring to?

This is hilarious.

National Champs winning Vic Metro leadership member
TAC Cup premiership player as bottom ager
AFL Academy Level 2 member
197cm/93kgs
Key forward/ruck.

Doesn't even make top 70?

Can I have some of what you guys are smoking?

McLean was there about's for me but did not quite make the cut. Rookie at best.......... assuming that's your mark.

Now as for the insult to my fellow drafters as to what are we smoking?

HedgeFund/Park Orchards/Harley Bennell/Fremantle.

Thats a literary montage of great material for a Greek Tragedy in itself.

So after # 344 meaningful posts by other informed posters , if thats the best you can contribute to the dialogue , then maybe its time to,
STFU and bid a hasty retreat.

McLean was there about's for me but did not quite make the cut. Rookie at best.......... assuming that's your mark.

Now as for the insult to my fellow drafters as to what are we smoking?

HedgeFund/Park Orchards/Harley Bennell/Fremantle.

Thats a literary montage of great material for a Greek Tragedy in itself.

So after # 344 meaningful posts by other informed posters , if thats the best you can contribute to the dialogue , then maybe its time to,
STFU and bid a hasty retreat.

Not very nice.

The proof will come in November.

He will go 30-50. Mark my words.

Pick 73 Writeup (North) - Liam Ryan (Average-sized forward)

Pros:
(1) Good footskills
(2) Good leap and mark - pretty much takes WAFL mark of the round every round
(3) Good speed
(4) Consistently high median output (4 goals per game) at WAFL level

Cons
(1) Almost undraftable endurance
(2) Question-marks over desire (missed the state game - although not clear to me if it was injury).
(3) Tackling (on average 1.5 tackles a game in 2017)

Reasoning: Qualifying my choice, I saw Ryan for about 4 full games last and my reaction was the same as LemmingMaster; flashes in and out (linked to the endurance) but it was 10-30 seconds of brilliance to cap off Subiaco's dominance and the rest was the void. It was just not something that would work at AFL.

However, this year I have seen probably about the same number of games and felt that this was a different player. He has been more consistent and an even higher output in goals; watching the games this year he has been in the contest for much longer and he is more of an ever-present threat than flash in the pan. He has also got up the ground more this year and whilst his tackling needs some work, he has created things for others. In short he has improved - there are still ossues, but if you can show you can make some improvements in those areas you are week at and you have demonstrated ability to kick large numbers of goals and large potential with some of your traits (speed, leap) then it's worth a shot with a pick 71.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back