Coaching and off-field staff thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The reality of the Mathews situation is that the club/afl probably said to him " We appear a rabble at the moment. You have the street cred we need, help us out." Leigh says "But I'm killing it in the media and I can make way more money there." They say "We understand that, so just give us a tokin effort for a limited time." He says "OK I can offer that." I love him, man's a legend, one of the best players of all time and he coached us to three flags but I'm sure others would have managed similar with the crop we had then. His loyalty doesn't really lie with us, he's a hawk. I think he was doing us a favour. Did he owe us that favour because the Lions flags added to his legend status, maybe, but he was paid to do a job then and did it. The CEO doesn't owe anything to the CBA when he makes them record profits, so maybe he owed us nothing. As The Brown Dog suggests, his priority was always pretty clear but I don't blame him really. And we could have cleaned house without him. Don't think the exercise achieved much though hindsight makes everyone an expert.

The reality of the Mathews situation is that the club/afl probably said to him " We appear a rabble at the moment. You have the street cred we need, help us out." Leigh says "But I'm killing it in the media and I can make way more money there." They say "We understand that, so just give us a tokin effort for a limited time." He says "OK I can offer that." I love him, man's a legend, one of the best players of all time and he coached us to three flags but I'm sure others would have managed similar with the crop we had then. His loyalty doesn't really lie with us, he's a hawk. I think he was doing us a favour. Did he owe us that favour because the Lions flags added to his legend status, maybe, but he was paid to do a job then and did it. The CEO doesn't owe anything to the CBA when he makes them record profits, so maybe he owed us nothing. As The Brown Dog suggests, his priority was always pretty clear but I don't blame him really. And we could have cleaned house without him. Don't think the exercise achieved much though hindsight makes everyone an expert.

Strongly disagree - as far as I know he still lives in Brisbane. He saw a great club that he had a personal stake in going down the drain & said enough is enough. His work is largely done, so the time to hand the baton on, largely as he has other committments,

The thing about being a director of a company is that you must ensure that you act in the best interests of your company. That's the law.

Like it or not, football clubs are now run as companies. Leigh must act as a director. Taking a public position which is to the detriment of the club (eg priority pick comments) is simply not on. It would be akin to the director of a mining company publicly arguing in favour of higher mining royalty payments. Sure, it might be for the greater good of society but it is to the detriment of the company.

Unless someone can argue that getting a priority pick is not a good thing for the club, then there is no other conclusion than that Lethal's comments were detrimental to the club and therefore arguably inconsistent with his duties.

Then there's taking a public position contrary to the club's public position. Once a board has decided, every board member should publicly support the decision. The alternative is to resign. When we decide we want in on a women's comp, he has to get behind that.

Being a director is very different to simply being an interested observer. The fact that he's a legend of the game with often valid views of things is irrelevant to him complying his director's duties.

It seems to me that Leigh really values his right to be able to express an opinion. He's got platforms that he uses to make sure people hear his message. I've really got no problem with him doing that and, by and large, I think he speaks common sense and is motivated by what he thinks is good for the game.

But a director of a football club company can't always have an unfettered right to a public opinion and can't take the game's side over the club. Not abiding by his duties at all times is what makes Leigh a poor director, even if it makes him a wonderful statesman and insightful special comments guy.

And I don't believe it shows a "lack of respect" to hold that opinion.

Strongly disagree - as far as I know he still lives in Brisbane. He saw a great club that he had a personal stake in going down the drain & said enough is enough. His work is largely done, so the time to hand the baton on, largely as he has other committments,

Plus reading his biography, he definitely comes across as more a Lion than Hawk these days.

Plus reading his biography, he definitely comes across as more a Lion than Hawk these days.

If there's one person in this photo whose fashion sense screams to me that they're a dinky-di Queenslander...
CU9N2d9UkAAEgJ9.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane Lions close to naming new list manager to replace Peter Schwab

BRISBANE could poach Gold Coast’s recruiting manager to fill the Lions’ vacant list manager’s position.

The Herald Sun can reveal Brisbane chiefs have met with Suns’ highly-respected talent expert Dom Ambrogio about the position.

Ambrogio has served Gold Coast’s list boss Scott Clayton for the past eight years, helping build one of the competition’s most talented young lists.

The Lions are hoping to finalise the appointment this month as they look to re-sign crucial second-year key forward Josh Schache.

Former list boss Peter Schwab shocked the club when he left the Lions to accept a job heading up the AFL umpiring department late last year.

Schwab’s departure continued the sweeping changes at the club which have included appointing new coach Chris Fagan and new football boss David Noble.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/br...b/news-story/7b4afca1149074f6750ea6487db2e743

He could get us Thompson, bit more class in the midfield and a few more years development , then boom premiership contenders

Edit I just want to qualify that statement with the fact I have been drinking

He could get us Thompson, bit more class in the midfield and a few more years development , then boom premiership contenders

Edit I just want to qualify that statement with the fact I am still drinking

EFA

*You're not the only one

Suns have been fairly decent at getting into some good draft positions through trading given that quite a few players have left for varying reasons selecting preferred clubs and all...

A lot better than what we got for our go home 5 that's for sure. But whether he had a hand to play I'm not sure.

Fair point though if we're able to see little reason to trade in the next 3 years I'll be happy. Would be great to focus just on development until we're playing finals and trading simply for needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back