List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Discussion (cont in Pt 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really want them to pick Naughton ( or Balta ) with one of those picks.
The Twomey Ablett phantom looks reasonably accurate, but will Collingwood really take Fogarty in front of Cerra?
If they took Cerra instead , it leaves us with Fogarty, Clarke, Coffield. Still not so bad i guess.

Maybe Ross is playing silly Ross games at Freo and its really going to go:

1 Brisbane : Raynor
2 Freo : Naughton
3 Carlton: D-A
4: North: Dow
5: Freo : Brander

Leaving Collingwood with one of, and Saints 2 of
Stephenson, Coffield , Brayshaw, Cerra.
Let me dream OK .

It is sounding like Collingwood going for either Coffield or Naughton from everything that has been said or written with Bonar and Murphy also in the conversation at 6.

Yeah I think Freo should be looking at a tall at one of their picks - especially since Naughton is a WA boy and he fits a need for them

LO'B is invited to the Draft- he's better than a second rounder.

I wish i knew the logistics of how they know which players to invite.
Every chance that brayshaw goes pick 1 or 2 now

Its funny how this happens.
He's not played any footy.
Not done any new physical tests.

Suddenly he's going to go 1 or 2 NOW.
If he goes 1 or 2 he was always going to go 1 or 2.

So out of these which ones are likely to get games next year and will any of them actually have an impact?
Would be very handy if that was the case .

Top 10 picks will always play a fair bit of footy and all look capable. Fog would have the body but Stephenson looks like he could kick a couple of goals a week from a pocket with his nous.

Top 10 picks will always play a fair bit of footy and all look capable. Fog would have the body but Stephenson looks like he could kick a couple of goals a week from a pocket with his nous.

Ok I guess it's a bloody big ask to have one of the mids making an impact straight away .
That's why armo is so important this season. A couple of good years out of him would be huge .

I've cooled a bit on him, he's really so hard to find enough on to have a solid grasp on how good he could be. I like the idea of him but not the idea of giving up a high kick on him now. I'm a little less bullish I guess.
He has all the classic warning signs for being the biggest draft bust, while having the "potential" of being a star. I hope we stay away.

Ok I guess it's a bloody big ask to have one of the mids making an impact straight away .
That's why armo is so important this season. A couple of good years out of him would be huge .
Someone like brayshaw or LDU could come in and comfortably average 18-20 a game and look really bloody good Like Joel selwood did.

Armo I have worries he will be as good again. Missed alot of football.

Brayshaw looking like his appeal to non-Victorian teams is rocketing. Maybe also clubs might believe he is the best equipped mid to thrive under the weight of being a top two draft pick. Does anybody know how his running power stacks up against say Jelly or Gaff? It's hard to tell with the introduction of the yo-yo test and the 2km run.

Someone like brayshaw or LDU could come in and comfortably average 18-20 a game and look really bloody good Like Joel selwood did.

Armo I have worries he will be as good again. Missed alot of football.

I reckon LDU could, he's a big boy too so won't have issues hitting the packs and coming off second best. Brayshaw will go well at Sandy for the next few years;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has all the classic warning signs for being the biggest draft bust, while having the "potential" of being a star. I hope we stay away.

I think he has a big gamble written all over him. His position isn't really clear even, but the stuff he does well is very good. He obviously has a heap discipline so it will be body and position that could hold him back. I'm tempted to gamble on him but there is the conservative in me saying don't risk it. Apparently a lot of the TAC players have named him as the best player in the draft which is a huge wrap. The footage available makes him look like a very good mark but his tank was poor. I reckon at worst he's sort of a tall utility if the body holds up.If Stephenson was there I'd prefer him.

This isn't relevant to the draft, but not sure where to post. Anyway, saw the rumor that Scott Clayton is linked to St Kilda on the afl website (presumably to take over from Bains). Anyone know if this is true and what effect it would have?

Also heard that Harvey was a possibility of coming across as a coach. Do we have any idea if this is true or whether we are going to add another assistant coach? I would be keen on eade if available...

Also just to keep it draft related. Would be stoked if we got Cerra and Stephenson. Followed closely by Clark, Coffield and Murphy (not convinced by Bonar and don't know enough about DFog - presumably Brayshaw will be gone).

Last edited:
Why doesn't the Larke medalist, Oscar Allen, not rate a little higher? Reminds me of Tom McDonald with his energy in the forward line. He has a great leap, a good tank, has played forward and back and can ruck. Touted by some as a mozza to be the first tall taken in this draft, but not considered by the majority. You would think if Fremantle wanted to punt on a tall to bolster their list at either end of the ground he would be as good as anyone going around.

Why doesn't the Larke medalist, Oscar Allen, not rate a little higher? Reminds me of Tom McDonald with his energy in the forward line. He has a great leap, a good tank, has played forward and back and can ruck. Touted by some as a mozza to be the first tall taken in this draft, but not considered by the majority. You would think if Fremantle wanted to punt on a tall to bolster their list at either end of the ground he would be as good as anyone going around.

I rate him very highly but he's more Jack Darling/ Tim Membery which for some reason never go that high in the draft. He looks like he'd be ideal at Richmond or West Coast. I reckon smaller marking targets should be more valuable after the last couple of years and Allen runs up the ground to help out like Members so would be a an ideal modern forward to me. He's like a mini Barry Hall with more mobility.

What chance Tom McCartin falls to our third pick?
There's been talk that he could even sneak into the top 20, so doubtful.

If he was born 2 days later he wouldn't be eligible until next year's draft and he's coming off a year or two of injury/health issues and is still in year 11, so he's a bit like Murphy in that he probably has a heap of improvement in him and could be compared more with next year's class.

Probably too much like Battle though for us to be interested.

Good article from earlier in the year about Lochie O'Brien.

Feel like there will be clubs who regret overlooking him if he slides too far:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2017-national-draft.1170197/page-154#post-53410098

A mate has a nephew who plays at the Pioneers and is from Mildura, he saw O'Brien play a fair bit over the years and I have heard about him from him for what seems like ages. He reckons he's a gun and said probably about when he was about 15 that he'd play AFL. He's from a footy family this guy and is a big draft watcher and knows recruiters so I rate his opinion very highly. It's a shame we don't have pick in his range because he's just what we want. He's got the class of Steele Sidebottom with the outside run of Gaff.

There's been talk that he could even sneak into the top 20, so doubtful.

If he was born 2 days later he wouldn't be eligible until next year's draft and he's coming off a year or two of injury/health issues and is still in year 11, so he's a bit like Murphy in that he probably has a heap of improvement in him and could be compared more with next year's class.

Probably too much like Battle though for us to be interested.

Yeah we need more mid and smaller forwards not KPs. Tom sounds like a shorter Paddy but if he's there at our later picks we might have an interest. Perhaps we could send one back

It will be interesting to see if he ends up like Gaff (ie. AA) or Hartung (delisted). Could see it going both ways really - personally i'm glad he isn't in our range.
I reckon he's more likely to be Gaff level. Averaged 24 disposals last year, which is around the same number that the likes of LDU and Dow have averaged this year, but has struggled with injury/tags/form a bit this year, yet still had very solid numbers.

He's Hartung, but about 7cm taller and with wayyy better kicking and decision-making.

I reckon he's more likely to be Gaff level. Averaged 24 disposals last year, which is around the same number that the likes of LDU and Dow have averaged this year, but has struggled with injury/tags/form a bit this year, yet still had very solid numbers.

He's Hartung, but taller and with wayyy better kicking.

Yep, his kicking is obscenely good, his forward delivery is the stuff key-forwards dream of.

I think he has a big gamble written all over him. His position isn't really clear even, but the stuff he does well is very good. He obviously has a heap discipline so it will be body and position that could hold him back. I'm tempted to gamble on him but there is the conservative in me saying don't risk it. Apparently a lot of the TAC players have named him as the best player in the draft which is a huge wrap. The footage available makes him look like a very good mark but his tank was poor. I reckon at worst he's sort of a tall utility if the body holds up.If Stephenson was there I'd prefer him.
I'm very wary of a kid who is back playing after rehab yet records a better standing vertical jump than a running jump.

I've heard a few excuses made to explain it but I don't buy it, his highlights are a real mixed bag he does some things really well. There were instances when he didn't jump as expected from a running jump and he switched a couple of kicks inboard that should have been easy turnovers. The upside is he has good hands, marks well and those long sweeping hand passes, we have blokes who can barely hit a target by foot over that distance.

Bottom line is I don't know where we would use him and you can't get around the fact that he's had two operations on that knee regardless of how he did it.

If we want a beast go for Fogarty he is taller and will ultimately be more versatile IMHO. I'm impressed by what I've seen of murphy I really like how quickly and accurately he moves the ball, plus he is very good overhead. I can understand why clubs are interested in him for the top 10.

I think things are going to pan out well for us, we should have some great choices and may even get a big slider I just hope we make the right choices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back