List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Discussion (cont in Pt 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I haven't followed many of the draftees at all this year and know nothing, but I can definitely expand on Coffield. First of all great kid, and like I said the other day the saints have put the most work into him it of any club. Looks likely if we keep pick 7 and 8, and having seen him play local footy in his last year before TAC cup, I'm intrigued. He played the year above, and although he didn't dominate (didn't even win bnf), he was among the best few players and everyone knew he was gonna be something special.

I haven't followed many of the draftees at all this year and know nothing, but I can definitely expand on Coffield. First of all great kid, and like I said the other day the saints have put the most work into him it of any club. Looks likely if we keep pick 7 and 8, and having seen him play local footy in his last year before TAC cup, I'm intrigued. He played the year above, and although he didn't dominate (didn't even win bnf), he was among the best few players and everyone knew he was gonna be something special.
Yeah it sounds like he's got excellent leadership characteristics and also brings speed, good composure and kicking, so he ticks a number of boxes for us, plus he's a terrific height and is versatile.

What position or positions was he mostly playing prior to playing TAC Cup?

There's an article on the afl site about Naughton. Originally from Victoria & quoted as saying he'd love to play for the Pies (supports them) alongside Ben Reid (looks up to him). Given the Pies need for talls & putting 2 & 2 together I reckon he's a decent chance to either go to the Pies or Freo are forced into taking him a pick before. That would certainly help mids slide to 7/8.

Yeah it sounds like he's got excellent leadership characteristics and also brings speed, good composure and kicking, so he ticks a number of boxes for us, plus he's a terrific height and is versatile.

What position or positions was he mostly playing prior to playing TAC Cup?
Predominantly played half back due to being a smaller body weight wise at the time and the midfield was already set with the age group above. If he hadve played midfield perhaps we would've won bnf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither. Attacking CHB that racked up 23 touches & 11 marks in the wafl seniors. Sounds like a cheaper version of Jake Lever.
That said, there is good depth of tall defensive talent this year, so prolly better to trade in a 2nd rounder from somewhere and use one of them for one, or trade 7 and 8 for say 2 and 19/22 and use one of them for one.

Also this is the same club that's produced Bont, Zaharakis, Caddy, Vlastuin and more recently Lipinski to bulldogs. Coffield showed more at the club than every one of them
Nice. Does his speed really show through in games?

He tests extremely well for speed apparently, but you don't see many highlights of him say zooming down the ground past everyone.

Half draft, half trade suggestion. Trade 2018 first, later pick & a player Armo/Lonie for GC's pick 2? We'd have to offer something lucrative. But if we pulled it off:

Pick 2 - LDU
Pick 7 - Coffield
Pick 8 - Naughton

?
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to having a top 2 pick and then two more in the top 8!

Would give us an extremely strong hand and get that 3rd one in the door a year earlier.

Any of Rayner, Dow, or LDU (or even Stephenson- they all have speed) would be bloody good and to then be able to grab a couple more from the top 8 would be delicious.

There's an article on the afl site about Naughton. Originally from Victoria & quoted as saying he'd love to play for the Pies (supports them) alongside Ben Reid (looks up to him). Given the Pies need for talls & putting 2 & 2 together I reckon he's a decent chance to either go to the Pies or Freo are forced into taking him a pick before. That would certainly help mids slide to 7/8.

i couldnt speak highly enough of naughton. he won sandover medal votes for the games he's played in.

he should be playing the WAFL GF this weekend, if not for chris's bond's obsession with winning WAFL flags. funny story, ross lyon told a couple of subi supporters a couple weeks back at the subi vs peel final, that he hopes subi win. doesnt sound like he's keen on playing WAFL finals

Half draft, half trade suggestion. Trade 2018 first, later pick & a player Armo/Lonie for GC's pick 2? We'd have to offer something lucrative. But if we pulled it off:

Pick 2 - LDU
Pick 7 - Coffield
Pick 8 - Naughton

?
You'd think we'd have to include pick 8 and next year's first maybe second if we send armo/lonie

Still 2 and 7 look like they will be very good players.

Nice. Does his speed really show through in games?

He tests extremely well for speed apparently, but you don't see many highlights of him say zooming down the ground past everyone.
Na I never really noticed his quick speed except at training. At training he was clearly quick but in game he didn't use his line breaking speed as much I thought he could've, he'd usually opt to kick or use lateral movement. I assume during his time at the Knights that he gained more confidence in it

Also my mate who played under both Coffield and Gresh as captains at Knights said that Coff had him covered in captaincy by a country mile and skill by a little bit
Don't think Gresham was ever that strong as a leader, just the mobs best player by a mile.

Coffield must be something if he has more skill than Gresham. Gresh is ridiculous.

Don't think Gresham was ever that strong as a leader, just the mobs best player by a mile.

Coffield must be something if he has more skill than Gresham. Gresh is ridiculous.
To be fair I'll be more specific, the exact question I asked him was who would you prefer on your team, and he said Coffield just. I agree gresh has ridiculous natural skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back