List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Discussion (cont in Pt 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the experts are only giving an opinion on how they suspect the draftees project in an AFL environment. Nothing definitive can or has been stated. Only half the story is draftees verse other draftees at u18 level the rest is post junior footy & how they adapt to the AFL. I'm sure in a year or two or three we'll look back & there will be some very good players from this draft year. This is why I'm hesitant to completely right off this talent pool which can be fraught with danger if you trade out just for the sake of it or have that mentality. I'm sure our recruiting staff won't be desperate to trade out & do it for average players. Only trade out for Kelly, Whitfield, Lever, etc types. Also don't trade out a premium top 5 or 6 pick for a later first round pick the following year. There will be good players in this draft there is every year.
We don't need good talent. We need absolutely elite match winning midfield talent and we need it inside 4 years otherwise the list starts to dissipate from there. I just can't see this draft delivering that

We don't need good talent. We need absolutely elite match winning midfield talent and we need it inside 4 years otherwise the list starts to dissipate from there. I just can't see this draft delivering that

And I'm sure there'll be elite talent from this draft we just don't know who they are yet. Goes both ways, happy to trade out for elite talent, like I said (Kelly, Whitfield, Lever) but not for good footballers. I'd spew if we traded pick 6 for Aaron Hall cos we didn't rate this draft. Ideally we do trade out....for Josh Kelly.

And I'm sure there'll be elite talent from this draft we just don't know who they are yet. Goes both ways, happy to trade out for elite talent, like I said (Kelly, Whitfield, Lever) but not for good footballers. I'd spew if we traded pick 6 for Aaron Hall cos we didn't rate this draft. Ideally we do trade out....for Josh Kelly.
Yeh you would never trade out of the first round for Aaron hall. Let's be realistic here.

But you'd trade out for a pick in next year's first round. Pick 3 this year has nothing on pick 3 or even further down next year. So if you can get into that draft you would do it

Likewise for any elite player you can get

I reckon this time next year people will realise how bad this draft is/was

Yeh you would never trade out of the first round for Aaron hall. Let's be realistic here.

But you'd trade out for a pick in next year's first round. Pick 3 this year has nothing on pick 3 or even further down next year. So if you can get into that draft you would do it

Would you trade pick 3 for the Giants first round pick next year?

Has there ever been a year where there's been no good players from that draft? I doubt it & that's my point. I don't believe we should completely right off all the kids in this draft & that's essentially my point. Stand staunch with regard to trading our picks & get maximum value if we decide to trade out. Getting desperate to trade them out is fraught with danger & ensures we'll get played.

Every year we hear how good next years draft is & how much better it is than the current years draft pool. What if Rankine gets complacent knowing he will definitely be drafted & has an ordinary year in 2018? I suspect this applies to some kids & when put into an AFL environment they excel.

Not sure you get it, the top end is still good talent and there will be elite talent there especially in the top5 the depth in this draft is the problem, but the thing is we have 2 high picks: which means we are still going to bring in potential elite players especially if it is a pick 5 or under. If we had say pick 15 then yeah trade it but we don't we have a potential top5 pick. You don't trade them unless it's for elite ready made talent

Not sure you get it, the top end is still good talent and there will be elite talent there especially in the top5 the depth in this draft is the problem, but the thing is we have 2 high picks: which means we are still going to bring in potential elite players especially if it is a pick 5 or under. If we had say pick 15 then yeah trade it but we don't we have a potential top5 pick. You don't trade them unless it's for elite ready made talent

Oh I get it, I don't think you do

My point is that the top end is NOT good. As Anderson suggested Marshall who was a late first rounder would be pick 1 right now and tbh I think by quite some way

Someone like Powell Pepper beats any mid in this draft and again he was a late first

Not only is the depth in the draft lacking but so is the potency at the top end

When you start narrowing your focus to elite mids who can win you games this draft looks even poorer. I think it's strength is in KPD talent not mids.

Would you trade pick 3 for the Giants first round pick next year?

Has there ever been a year where there's been no good players from that draft? I doubt it & that's my point. I don't believe we should completely right off all the kids in this draft & that's essentially my point. Stand staunch with regard to trading our picks & get maximum value if we decide to trade out. Getting desperate to trade them out is fraught with danger & ensures we'll get played.

Every year we hear how good next years draft is & how much better it is than the current years draft pool. What if Rankine gets complacent knowing he will definitely be drafted & has an ordinary year in 2018? I suspect this applies to some kids & when put into an AFL environment they excel.
At first I'd say no as I think you need to be forecasting the pick to be at worst pick 12

But I'm starting to warm to gambling on next year's draft so I'd consider doing it if we can get some extras thrown in

I agree with the clubs priority: FA->Trade->Draft

Btw pick 3 might actually end up more like pick 6... Which changes the discussion significantly. I'd absolutely trade pick 6 in this draft for the giants pick next year

Dream result for mine would be Sutherland at pick 4-6 and Cerra/O'Brien pick 9-11.

Adds outside class and think Sutherland could be something special.
Surely the dream might begin at something like Kelly and Cerra?

Last edited:
Oh I get it, I don't think you do

My point is that the top end is NOT good. As Anderson suggested Marshall who was a late first rounder would be pick 1 right now and tbh I think by quite some way

Someone like Powell Pepper beats any mid in this draft and again he was a late first

Not only is the depth in the draft lacking but so is the potency at the top end

When you start narrowing your focus to elite mids who can win you games this draft looks even poorer. I think it's strength is in KPD talent not mids.
Not sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won't surprise me if we try to swap to get more into 2018 draft. There will always be a desperate club, that for whatever reason, will want a first rounder or two. The tricky thing is projecting where that club will finish the next year. I would like to see us not involve our 2018 1st Rounder unless it's absolutely nessecary. This years trade period will be full on.

Currently we have picks , 6,12, 47, 55 and 65
The first two may change of course depending on results. I wonder who the Saints have in mind at the moment if we don't give them away trying to get jelly belly.
Would be interesting. if the hawthorn pick stays where it is. A few names would be

Cerra (clean midfielder- gun)
Sutherland (would we pick him with mccartin?)
Brander (probably won't last)
Fogarty (honestly not a fan but has his fans)
Dow (explosive mid but doesn't get that much pill, a real question mark)
Hayes (would be an upgrade on our current ruck stocks and would be our fwd ruck)
Stephenson (X-factor. Electrifying. Goal kicker 189cm)

Out of those cerra and brander probably would be best for us or on our wish list id say. Dow has a few months to impress and I reckon Stephenson on our radar too. Not sure where he sits in with our team tho:

draft nerds, i spoke to a bloke in the know yesterday at work and i said tell me the best value prospect and he without hesitation said jack higgins.

so tell me about him, all i know off memory is he's a small guy from victoria :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back