NFL 2017 NFL - Week 12 - Thanksgiving

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't a Lions LB also do it a couple of years ago? I want to say it was Steven Tulloch, but I'm not 100% sure
Yeah, sack on Rodgers he did the "Discount double check belt"

But that was first Q and only down 7.

Important thing is they also win playoff games and are 5-2 in SBs, which makes the whole weak division thing a little redundant.

F it.....I'll bite :rainbow:

The patriots have been unbelievably consistent for a very long time. Funny thing is many who say we are lucky to be in the afc east agree with this.... So I'm confused because the two don't relate much at all... Consistency>>>>>>>>Luck. Maybe its a bit of both? After all surely we can all agree, to win a SB a team needs some luck in the mix somewhere along the way.

Why haven't the Jets Fins and Bills just gone out and drafted another TB BB duo like the pats? Cause guys like them just drop out of the sky every year. :drunk: If anything, the other AFC east teams have gone more out of their way than most even know (screwing themselves in the process) trying to compete with said franchise. Miami, the bills and NY all throwing huge contracts out over multiple years and bringing in a stream of successful coaches and players from all over the league into the afc east to compete with NE. Rex Ryan all but destroyed two franchises in his personal ring kissing quest to bump off BB greatness ffs. Does anyone remember when Rex was at the Ravens as DC? Remember that D? They may have had average qb's but Ill bet on paper they were probably more talented across the board than the patriots except at two positions qb and coach.

Comparing us to anyone in the AFC over the last two decades in general it looks slanted. If you include the most successful teams, Colts Chargers and Steelers and just to make LA happy, we'll include the Broncos. Even when you include them, they pale in comparison. PIT have 2 sb's!TWO! The only team in the nfc that can boast that in the same era is the giants and they needed some really amazing D and oh yeah some LUCK to win them both. The colts with some future hall of famer qb that we played every bloody year at least once that's supposedly (according to some) better than Brady:D have 1 SB. The Broncos also have 1 with said guy at QB and gave us plenty of memorable games before and after he was there. That's 4 superbowl winning teams during our era, that get dwarfed in comparison. Remember the Chargers who had Rivers, LT, Gates in their prime along with that defense. Some serious competition right there. So please spare me the easy road crap.

Now lets bring up the AFC North! That never gets any crap from anyone on here and has the Browns and the Bungles in it every year last I checked and the post Lewis era Ravens. WOW how good are they!? UH HUH sheesh! Maybe we should be asking how the steelers don't have more succ oh wait.

Lastly the Patriots schedule consists of 16 games per year plus playoff games and SB's. That's at least 10 non afc east teams, 4 of which have won superbowls and we played all of them at their peaks, multiple times over. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that we own the AFC E and that we generally don't compare, but by all means bring me a team from any division in the last 20 that does.

How good was the AFC E when the miami dolphins ran the table 72? How good was the anyone else including NE at any time some team had a dynasty? How good and even was the bloody league not to mention a salary cap during SF and DAL runs? Now lets move on down to some of the actual stats. I admit its not 2000-2016, but for the sake of this we'll use the fo article 2002-2013 period with lots of stats to mansplain this for the ladies on here:p

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/nfl-division-strength-2002-2013

bet you didn't know 8 teams other than NE made the playoffs from the afc east between 2000 and 2016. 8 From the AFC North not named steelers since 02 AFC West its only 5 teams other than the bronco's since 2000 to make the playoffs and the south was 4 teams (jags and ten with 2 each) other than the colts making the playoffs

Going by that the AFC east has pumped out more playoff teams than any other AFC div since 2000
now please god end the:'( and GFY:p

apologies i was reading the wildcards n those last figs :D

Last edited:
amended for div winnners and wc's - AFC E 10 (not pats) AFC N 17 (not steelers) AFC W 15 (not broncos) AFC S 10 (not colts) so Ill give you that one you can make a case for the afc east and the playoff calibre teams but its not much between the south and east over the colts pats era's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Important thing is they also win playoff games and are 5-2 in SBs, which makes the whole weak division thing a little redundant.

Superbowls, sure. I don't think a launch pad into home seeding in the playoffs is ultimately irrelevant to that achievement though.

Whether they hosted or visited Denver for example has been critical in recent years.

Superbowls, sure. I don't think a launch pad into home seeding in the playoffs is ultimately irrelevant to that achievement though.

Whether they hosted or visited Denver for example has been critical in recent years.

His record at start of year vs Divs...

Vs the AFC:

East: 70-20 (.778)
North: 29-7 (806)
South: 33-6 (846)
West: 23-14 (.622)

Vs. the NFC:

East: 14-5 (.737)
North: 14-3 (.824)
South: 13-3 (.813)
West: 9-5 (.643)

Too broad. Doesnt necessarily tell records vs strong teams at home and away- which is what you need to do when strong teams are in your division.

I'm sure that the record is still good. Like- they're obviously a very good and very successful team- but why pussy foot around the fact that the rest of the division has been utterly pathetic for as long as can be remembered?

Too broad. Doesnt necessarily tell records vs strong teams at home and away- which is what you need to do when strong teams are in your division.

I'm sure that the record is still good. Like- they're obviously a very good and very successful team- but why pussy foot around the fact that the rest of the division has been utterly pathetic for as long as can be remembered?

Come on man! Those stats show they’ve crapped on everyone. Just check other non AFCE teams records v other divs over same period.

BTW that’s Brady’s record not the Pats.

I honestly don't mean it as a disrespect to the Pats, cos the Packers have benefitted from similar ineptitude within the division also.
If its not obvious already through my postings, my belief is you build champion teams behind a great QB. A great QB trumps everything, even great defenses, and other great QBs at times.
All the consistent teams of the past 20 years (and I'm not talking on top of the conference for 2-3yrs) have all had great QB play, and very little to compete against in their division. If there's similar calibre QBs, the division is much more of a dogfight (Manning/Romo, Brees/Ryan/Newton, Rivers/Smith, and so many other lower tier QBs).
Your Pats/Steelers/Packers are still well coached and have great QBs, but it's crazy to believe that their success wouldn't be diluted, even a little, with better QBs on the other side. Even 1-2 wins would make a huge difference to any of those teams, possibly the difference between having home playoff game(s) or not...

I guess when you actually track it through though- how often are there genuinely 2 elite teams in one division?

Pretty rare in recent times. Ravens/Steelers maybe on some occasions. 9ers and Seahawks for like a year or two?

I guess when you actually track it through though- how often are there genuinely 2 elite teams in one division?

Pretty rare in recent times. Ravens/Steelers maybe on some occasions. 9ers and Seahawks for like a year or two?

Big difference in an elite team (defense) and elite QBs. Can't have both (Hence my belief in building around a QB, success will be maintained for longer).

But doesn't necessarily have to be elite QBs, as I said Romo/Manning, and the NFC South (Brees clearly ahead of Ryan/Newton, but the gap is much smaller than other divisions).

AFC South, NFC West have had similarly talented QBs, and have always been close. Even when Seahawks D was all-world, Niners made it a challenge cos the QBs were close in terms of quality.

I suppose there’s not many elite QBs at any one time and chances of being in same division are small.

It’s astonishing though that the Pats have helped keep the other three div rivals down for so long and despite having access to so many top picks as a consequence, all three teams have been just so bad at finding a QB.

Dynasties usually need more than just a great QB. Bradshaw, Aikman and Montana had so much talent around them. So did Kelly in winning an astonishing 4 AFC champs in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back