LIVE ON ESPN/KAYO AT 12.15 PM ON 28/11: Chicago at Minnesota

LIVE ON watchESPN AT 5:00 AM on 27/11: NFL RedZone

NB: VIC, NSW, TAS times
less 30 mins SA
less 1 hour QLD
less 1.5 hours NT
less 3 hours WA

Last edited:

f**k me. Whoever gets the first WC is going to have a gift against the Falcons.

I forgot the NFC South existed for a moment with how irrelevant all 4 are.

Detroit getting the one seed, and Dallas getting them in the divisionals whilst Philly and SF take each other out seems like the highest percentage play for Dallas ending their superbowl drought

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Detroit getting the one seed, and Dallas getting them in the divisionals whilst Philly and SF take each other out seems like the highest percentage play for Dallas ending their superbowl drought
Dallas and Detroit in a playoff game would be special. 1 team hasnt won a playoff game since the early 90s and the other who havent done anything since the mid 90's.

It would somehow play out much like this game just did with both remembering they dont know how to play in January

Fields wins the game but looks like a defeated man.
Asking how he thought he played when he knows he has like 4 games left before he never a teams preferred starter again is kinda brutal

It's only a matter of time before that gets changed imo. Having a 12-5 team go away to one that finished 8-9 will be ludicrous, but looks like it's a chance.

Divisional winners should be guaranteed a playoff place, but not home field in the seedings.

You literally only have to be the best of four teams to host a playoff game.

In any event, no one should feel bad for Dallas so far. Their schedule has been unbelievably soft. They're yet to beat a team with even a .500 record. Giants, Jets, Chargers, Rams, Giants, Panthers, Commanders.

I suspect that might change when they host us in two weeks time, but it's hardly an injustice if they have to go on the road in the playoffs.

In any event, no one should feel bad for Dallas so far. Their schedule has been unbelievably soft. They're yet to beat a team with even a .500 record. Giants, Jets, Chargers, Rams, Giants, Panthers, Commanders.

I suspect that might change when they host us in two weeks time, but it's hardly an injustice if they have to go on the road in the playoffs.

For the sake of comparison, the Eagles have already beaten 5 .500 or better teams (including three 8-3 teams), and will play another three consecutive games against likely playoff teams now.

I don't think it's an injustice or anything, nor do I feel bad for Dallas. They're probably pretty happy about it anyway, getting to play a dumpster fire of a team no matter who manages to be the least shitty team in the south. But it just feels antiquated and I'd guess it changes at some point in the next decade.

If the 49ers can't finish above Seattle, LA and Arizona then I wouldn't be complaining about travelling to Tampa or NO for a playoff game, so I take your point. It's more that it skews the playoff games in the first round for the top seeds as well.

Detroit could finish as the 2 seed and instead of playing a crappy NFC South team that would be a 7 seed in a straight seeding based on record, they likely end up with a tougher game against a divisional rival. While they should still be good enough to win that game regardless, it's weird that they get to play a more difficult opponent than a 5 seed does, despite the fact the latter couldn't even win their own division.

I'm not too fussed about it tbh, as my guess is that it won't matter much - I'd expect the first week winners to be Detroit, SF and Dallas but the Eagles end up winning the conference anyway.

I don't think it's an injustice or anything, nor do I feel bad for Dallas. They're probably pretty happy about it anyway, getting to play a dumpster fire of a team no matter who manages to be the least shitty team in the south. But it just feels antiquated and I'd guess it changes at some point in the next decade.

If the 49ers can't finish above Seattle, LA and Arizona then I wouldn't be complaining about travelling to Tampa or NO for a playoff game, so I take your point. It's more that it skews the playoff games in the first round for the top seeds as well.

Detroit could finish as the 2 seed and instead of playing a crappy NFC South team that would be a 7 seed in a straight seeding based on record, they likely end up with a tougher game against a divisional rival. While they should still be good enough to win that game regardless, it's weird that they get to play a more difficult opponent than a 5 seed does, despite the fact the latter couldn't even win their own division.

I'm not too fussed about it tbh, as my guess is that it won't matter much - I'd expect the first week winners to be Detroit, SF and Dallas but the Eagles end up winning the conference anyway.

I don't see it as antiquated. The divisional champs should be in the playoffs, and if they have a wild card round must host. The entire concept of the round is teams being given the opportunity to challenge the divisional champs. If I could make any changes it would be to strip back wild cards. The system is far too permissive to divisional losers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back