Votes: 48 10.4%
  • Brayden Fiorini(GC)

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • Wayne Milera(ADEL)

Votes: 20 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Parish, Merrett, McGrath were rushed straight in. That is obviously not the reason Francis is not in the team.

What is it that he lacks that these three have? He is a good build for a youngster (bigger and stronger than the aforementioned) so it surprises me that he has played only 5 games in two years.

It's not like he's a key position player that needs time to develop; he's an on-baller.

Merrett, McGrath & Parish all had great preseasons and earned their spot in the round 1 teams for their debut years. I wouldn't call that rushing them in.

Francis on the other hand could be playing, but the coaching staff have elected to let him work on his fitness in the VFL rather than the AFL. The coaching staff were aware that he had a lot of work to do on his tank when he was drafted. So to answer you questions of what he lacks, its fitness. Which has been well documented throughout this thread and isn't something that will be fixed overnight unfortunately.

As for his position, right now he's a third tall either forward or back. The goal would be to have him on the ball for bursts but I definitely would not be calling him an on-baller, especially while his fitness is where it is.

Parish, Merrett, McGrath were rushed straight in. That is obviously not the reason Francis is not in the team.

What is it that he lacks that these three have? He is a good build for a youngster (bigger and stronger than the aforementioned) so it surprises me that he has played only 5 games in two years.

It's not like he's a key position player that needs time to develop; he's an on-baller.
we'd all love him to be playing but he's fitness is such that he can do the incredible for a period and then go missing. That's not what we need in our team consistently right now, but it's why he's had a few tastes.

As a Carlton supporter you'd remember a guy called Lance Whitnall. Now, I know he played pretty much from day 1 and didn't miss a beat (although he may not have in today's game a la Francis), but I bring him up because there are some similarities between he and Francis - that being that they are both freakishly brilliant footballers, but guys who just aren't as natural an athlete as some others.

we'd all love him to be playing but he's fitness is such that he can do the incredible for a period and then go missing. That's not what we need in our team consistently right now, but it's why he's had a few tastes.

As a Carlton supporter you'd remember a guy called Lance Whitnall. Now, I know he played pretty much from day 1 and didn't miss a beat (although he may not have in today's game a la Francis), but I bring him up because there are some similarities between he and Francis - that being that they are both freakishly brilliant footballers, but guys who just aren't as natural an athlete as some others.
A lot of people forget how good Lance was...200+ games, 350 goals,all Australian. If Francis can play anywhere near as well as lance whitnall you have a winner.

A lot of people forget how good Lance was...200+ games, 350 goals,all Australian. If Francis can play anywhere near as well as lance whitnall you have a winner.
oh yeah, absolutely. Whitnall was an amazing player, and he's a good comparison. They aren't exactly the same by any stretch, but just that sublime footballing ability in a big rig that isn't naturally athletic

oh yeah, absolutely. Whitnall was an amazing player, and he's a good comparison. They aren't exactly the same by any stretch, but just that sublime footballing ability in a big rig that isn't naturally athletic

Not sure I'd describe Francis as someone lacking natural athleticism. He has excellent speed, agility and power for a bloke his size.

He just needs to work on his tank and get a clean run at it injury wise.

Seriously how is Francis going,he looked really promising last year in the vfl when he played,what's happened?
Struggling with the endurance required for afl footy which is curnow strength.
Has serious talent though......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Silvagni makes it 4 nominations for the year for us, after 14 rounds, kid has really worked hard and earned his spot in our best 22, for a kid that is still only 19yo and was as raw physically as Jack was, it has been a massive effort.
Has great hands on the lead, is also a really smart footballer, always brings effort and good defensive pressure too.
Really good kid too, seems really humble and you can tell he really loves CFC.

Jack Silvagni makes it 4 nominations for the year for us, after 14 rounds, kid has really worked hard and earned his spot in our best 22, for a kid that is still only 19yo and was as raw physically as Jack was, it has been a massive effort.
Has great hands on the lead, is also a really smart footballer, always brings effort and good defensive pressure too.
He seems like a great kid from a great family, hope he has a bright future ahead of him.

The best thing from a Carlton point of view is that Charlie Curnow, Zac Fisher & Tom Williamson are all doing quite well and are a decent chance of getting nominations by the end of the year, in addition to the 4 we've already got.

Williamson stiff not to get one already...has been better overall this year than Cuningham.
Might be a mix of bad timing and being a late pick so a relative unknown to most, rather than a 'sexy' top 20 pick.

The best thing from a Carlton point of view is that Charlie Curnow, Zac Fisher & Tom Williamson are all doing quite well and are a decent chance of getting nominations by the end of the year, in addition to the 4 we've already got.

Williamson stiff not to get one already...has been better overall this year than Cuningham.
Might be a mix of bad timing and being a late pick so a relative unknown to most, rather than a 'sexy' top 20 pick.

Yeah Williamson has had some ripper games, think one of his best game was the week SPS got nominated and SPS was pretty close to best on ground IIRC, has also played well when we've lost which doesn't help him, I'd back him to get one before the year is out.

Very nice time to be a Carlton supporter. Lots of great, young talents coming through at once. I'd get expect some rapid movement up the ladder sometime in the next few years.

while I don't expect them to win the award I think long term Berry and McCluggage are going to be stars. Berry was a steal. Should have been top 5 pick IMO.

I liked Berry pre-draft. He's surplus to our needs atm so I prefer Weideman but I was vaguely annoyed that we traded away our 2016 first rounder

Yeah Williamson has had some ripper games, think one of his best game was the week SPS got nominated and SPS was pretty close to best on ground IIRC, has also played well when we've lost which doesn't help him, I'd back him to get one before the year is out.

Problem for Williamson is the type of player he is going to be is the type like Simpson and Docherty where you want to get the ball in their hands in back half as much as possible but because all the other Carlton players first thought is to look for one of those two to get it too, Williamson is not going to get a lot of it at moment except the few he gets on his own. Having said that, I love they just playing him in seniors so he can learn how it is done and what he needs to work on in future years to get to the elite level that Docherty and Simpson are at. Williamson is going to be a great user of ball but at moment he is getting next to none of it. They might even put him back in VFL just to get more touch of ball for a few weeks and then bring him back again.

Problem for Williamson is the type of player he is going to be is the type like Simpson and Docherty where you want to get the ball in their hands in back half as much as possible but because all the other Carlton players first thought is to look for one of those two to get it too, Williamson is not going to get a lot of it at moment except the few he gets on his own. Having said that, I love they just playing him in seniors so he can learn how it is done and what he needs to work on in future years to get to the elite level that Docherty and Simpson are at. Williamson is going to be a great user of ball but at moment he is getting next to none of it. They might even put him back in VFL just to get more touch of ball for a few weeks and then bring him back again.
With Richmonds smaller forwards, Williamson should get a good challenge this week. 5 Nominations would be a best ever result for CFC.

Struggling with the endurance required for afl footy which is curnow strength.
Has serious talent though......
You can say that again. I was be very very happy to have Francis on my list. When he gets it altogether fitness and form wise you guys have a very promising footballer

Curnow and Francis have time on their side. Both have showed good signs. I think they will be in the mix for 22 under 22 next season.

With Richmonds smaller forwards, Williamson should get a good challenge this week. 5 Nominations would be a best ever result for CFC.

He is out this week injured.
My best guess is we really get 3 more.
Curnow, Fisher and Pickett or McKay.
Maybe Williamson if he gets back from injury and other back liners give him more of the ball rather than just looking for Docherty or Simpson every time. Do not blame them though. Those guys super.

Back