List Mgmt. 2017 Starting 22 | + Trimming the "fat"

Remove this Banner Ad

Should of been dropped after the pies game and wasn't.
if they assisted in game plan,followed team rules, are fit and ready to play then pretty much the whole list should be out there.

Yeh but you're saying thats not the reason some are playing .Your putting forward that some are playing not because of ability but because all coaches have favourites. I'm not having a shot at you, its a common opinion by many on here but I'm wondering why a coach would not play best available when its his job on the line.

I thought there was some type of comity that selects the players each week. I'm sure the coach has a strong say which way the comity sides but surely if they see a player as flat out terrible then he won't be playing.

Every coach has a soft spot for certain players it's not a way of wacking the coach. Ross Lyon is a awesome coach. I just want the team looking to the future. Those guys won't win us a premiership.

But this way of thinking sounds suspiciously like

The coach doesn't want to win he only wants to play people he likes and we need to force him to pick people he doesn't like because that is ipso facto better for the team.

In reality RTB has one of the best win/loss records in the comp and though he missed the top 8 last year (first time in 8 years) I doubt that he decided to drop games last year to play favourites.

I like others just need to adjust to the idea that my personal BYB or fav of the week might be another Michie. Destined to look good in the WAFL but never make the grade no matter which club or coach they sit under.
And whilst I'm at it I probably need to get on board with the fact RTB likes aspects of DP or Suban games that I just don't see or value.

Does all this mean that we give RTB a free run. No. But the only yardstick that counts is wins vs losses. After all plenty of people whined about our defensive style in years gone but I am fairly sure we happy take the boring defence tag if we had a few more W's last year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeh but you're saying thats not the reason some are playing .Your putting forward that some are playing not because of ability but because all coaches have favourites. I'm not having a shot at you, its a common opinion by many on here but I'm wondering why a coach would not play best available when its his job on the line.
it's more of a consistency thing. Players get another go rather than being thrown back in the seconds. If they don't perform they should go back to twos. Some players get more chances to get back to where they have one good game then back to the usual average performance

I don't think Ross would entertain any of Nick's fantasies and he would do just as he was told at the risk of driving to Rushton more regularly.
On another subject Sutty has definitely spent some productive time in the gym and whacked quite a few kilos onto his frame.Looks a much more powerful athlete.

I agree with you. So I think the coach plays him out of position in that case. So much of Suban's effort amounts to nothing, but when he is free with ball in hand, then he looks damaging.

Sutcliffe had a bad year, like many others. I'll look for him to bounce back and improve on his form of 2015.

it's more of a consistency thing. Players get another go rather than being thrown back in the seconds. If they don't perform they should go back to twos. Some players get more chances to get back to where they have one good game then back to the usual average performance

Good to seeing you backing away from the love-child s**t. Another few posts and we'll probably all agree!

So a general look at our player positions (there preferred positions as it stands not other areas they can excel in) and also my starting 22 in underline:

Forwards
Cam McCarthy
Shane Kersten
Shane Yarran
Michael Walters
Hayden Ballantyne

Matt Taberner
Michael Apeness
New
Brennan Cox
Luke Strnadica
Josh Deluca(forward?)
Total: 10

Midfielders
Nat Fyfe
Lachie Neale
David Mundy
Stephen Hill
Brad Hill
Harley Bennell
Connor Blakely
Lachie Weller

Ed Langdon
Tommy Sheridan
Danyl Pearce
Nick Suban
Darcy Tucker
Harley Balic
Ryan Nyhuis
Total: 15

Defenders

Michael Johnson
Zac Dawson
Alex Pearce
Joel Hamling
Garrick Ibbotson
Hayden Crozier
Lee Spurr

Cam Sutcliffe
Sam Collins
Ethan Hughes
Matthew Uebergang
New
Griffin Logue
Luke Ryan
Total: 13

Rucks
Aaron Sandilands
Zac Clarke

Jon Griffin
New
Sean Darcy
Total: 4

I don't see what the big complaint is regarding not recruiting midfielders; it's still our most dominant patch personnel wise. A number of players jumped in the defender/forward zone can also have a fairly big impact up front. Of course, when the injuries come flying in is when we look a little exposed.

Overall, this is the most balanced I've seen the team in a fair while.

So a general look at our player positions (there preferred positions as it stands not other areas they can excel in) and also my starting 22 in underline:

Forwards
Cam McCarthy
Shane Kersten
Shane Yarran
Michael Walters
Hayden Ballantyne

Matt Taberner
Michael Apeness
New
Brennan Cox
Luke Strnadica
Josh Deluca(forward?)

Midfielders
Nat Fyfe
Lachie Neale
David Mundy
Stephen Hill
Brad Hill
Harley Bennell
Connor Blakely
Lachie Weller

Ed Langdon
Tommy Sheridan
Danyl Pearce
Nick Suban
Darcy Tucker
Harley Balic
Ryan Nyhuis

Defenders

Michael Johnson
Zac Dawson
Alex Pearce
Joel Hamling
Garrick Ibbotson
Hayden Crozier
Lee Spurr

Cam Sutcliffe
Sam Collins
Ethan Hughes
Matthew Uebergang
New
Griffin Logue
Luke Ryan

Rucks
Aaron Sandilands
Zac Clarke

Jon Griffin
New
Sean Darcy

I don't see what the big complaint is regarding not recruiting midfielders; it's still our most dominant patch personnel wise. A number of players jumped in the defender/forward zone can also have a fairly big impact up front. Of course, when the injuries come flying in is when we look a little exposed.

Croz,Hughes ,Sutcliffe and Logue plus 3 on the rookie list can also play a running role. You're right, plenty of mid type players.

Sutty needs to be working on his disposal and decision making, he just kills it going forward and I cringe when he has it in his hands.
We need quality kicks coming out of defence like Weller, Tucker or Ryan hopefully.

Forwards
Cam McCarthy
Shane Kersten
Shane Yarran
Michael Walters
Hayden Ballantyne

Matt Taberner
Michael Apeness
New
Brennan Cox
Luke Strnadica
Josh Deluca(forward?)

Midfielders
Nat Fyfe
Lachie Neale
David Mundy
Stephen Hill
Brad Hill
Harley Bennell
Connor Blakely
Lachie Weller

Ed Langdon
Tommy Sheridan
Danyl Pearce
Nick Suban
Darcy Tucker
Harley Balic
Ryan Nyhuis

Defenders

Michael Johnson
Zac Dawson
Alex Pearce
Joel Hamling
Garrick Ibbotson
Hayden Crozier
Lee Spurr

Cam Sutcliffe
Sam Collins
Ethan Hughes
Matthew Uebergang
New
Griffin Logue
Luke Ryan

Rucks
Aaron Sandilands
Zac Clarke

Jon Griffin
New
Sean Darcy

Probably need to move Cox to defenders?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defenders
Michael Johnson
Zac Dawson
Alex Pearce
Joel Hamling
Garrick Ibbotson
Hayden Crozier
Lee Spurr

Cam Sutcliffe
Sam Collins
Ethan Hughes
Matthew Uebergang
New
Griffin Logue
Luke Ryan
Surely your defence isn't tall and slow enough ;) Predicting we won't win a game if we play Dawson, APearce, Hamling and Johnson all at the same time. The umpire would have our best rebound 50 stat with that back line.

Surely your defence isn't tall and slow enough ;) Predicting we won't win a game if we play Dawson, APearce, Hamling and Johnson all at the same time. The umpire would have our best rebound 50 stat with that back line.
I think Nyhuis can also only be classed as a defender at this stage. The game has gone past Zac D and I think Ross knows it... I don't expect him to play alot this year. We also can not afford to have Ibbo and Spurr in the same backline. Ibbo glacial decision making and Spurr just not up to kicking skills and I think his pace may find him out this year (another half yard slower with age). i'd go for Ibbo as a better athlete. MJ I am assuming will be injury prone.

FB Ibbo Pearce Collins
HB Crozier Hamling Tucker
C S Hill Mundy B Hill
HF Walters McCarthy Bennell
FF Yarran Kersten Apeness
R Sandi Fyfe Neale
I Weller(F) Logue(B) Blakely(M) Tommy S(M)

Depth
B: Zac D, Spurr, Sutty, Hughes
M: Langdon, Balic, Suban, Zac C
F: Tabs, DeLuca

Injured: Johnno. Please please be OK Bennell!!!

Logue has the size, endurance and game to step right up, we should play him.
Ape is backup ruck to Sandi who will do 80% of the work.
I think we have an excellent first 22... though really need Yarran and Harley to play to round out the class.
Good depth in defence but I think we need some more work on the forwards and mids. Hopefully between Kersten and Ape we can hold down a key forward post while I am assuming Cam McCarthy does.

Love child's was probably a bit harsh but it was the only way of describing the players with lack of consistency and still get a game

I think we all get it.

The more acceptable term used is "role player". We all see "role players" getting a game ahead of players that clearly have more talent.

I have just come to accept it and the obvious reason is team balance. Most, if not all teams, will always have players of limited skills who will sacrifice their game for a role for the team (ie block whoever is chasing Fyfe).

This does not change the fact that seriously out of form players were, on occasion, given too much time in the seniors and talented youngsters (until last year) were given little opportunity at Freo when we were going well.

Really like the look of Ryan coming out of defence. Reckon he will be seriously knocking on the door of the 22. It will be good development for him to train with guys like Lee Spur, who is a very good small defender to learn from.

Some pretty good teams mentioned already, seems to still be far too many calls for Dawson and Apeness for my liking
Surely you cant think they are best 22 if youve been watching Freo over the last couple seasons IMO, interested to hear
your thoughts on this possible best 22 with added depth players that are best prepared to fill in the gaps if needed
Overall i think our biggest weakness is foot skills, a fit Fyfe and Bennell will help as well as the addition of B.Hill

FB Spurr - Hamling - Ibbotson/Sutcliffe
HB Sheridan - A.Pearce/Collins - Mundy
C B.Hill - Blakely - S.Hill
HF Bennell - McCarthy - Walters
F Weller - Tabener - Ballantyne
R Sandilands - Fyfe - Neale

I Crozier , Clarke/Griffen , Tucker , Yarran

Depth Johnson , D.Pearce , Grey, Kersten , Suban, Langdon , Balic , Louge , Strnadica

-Obviously Johnson would be best 22 but his off field issues are a concern
-Hard to say whos the better ruck backup between Griff and Clarke
-Ballantyne's form over last 2 years is an issue, could easily swap for Yarran
-Would be happy if they blood Louge and Strnadica throughout the year
-A.Pearce or Collins? hard to see both plus Hamling and Johnson in the back 6, starts to get a bit too tall

Some pretty good teams mentioned already, seems to still be far too many calls for Dawson and Apeness for my liking
Surely you cant think they are best 22 if youve been watching Freo over the last couple seasons IMO, interested to hear
your thoughts on this possible best 22 with added depth players that are best prepared to fill in the gaps if needed
Overall i think our biggest weakness is foot skills, a fit Fyfe and Bennell will help as well as the addition of B.Hill

FB Spurr - Hamling - Ibbotson/Sutcliffe
HB Sheridan - A.Pearce/Collins - Mundy
F Weller - Tabener - Ballantyne

I Crozier , Clarke/Griffen , Tucker , Yarran

Depth Johnson , D.Pearce , Grey, Kersten , Suban, Langdon , Balic , Louge , Strnadica

-Obviously Johnson would be best 22 but his off field issues are a concern
-Hard to say whos the better ruck backup between Griff and Clarke
-Ballantyne's form over last 2 years is an issue, could easily swap for Yarran
-Would be happy if they blood Louge and Strnadica throughout the year
-A.Pearce or Collins? hard to see both plus Hamling and Johnson in the back 6, starts to get a bit too tall
We are in transition with most of the future pieces of the best 22 puzzle already available. Not a lot of point in not preferring to use them whenever appropriate. From your best 22 I would change to;

FB Spurr/Sutcliffe/Ryan - Hamling - Tucker
HB Sheridan - A.Pearce/Collins - Logue
F Weller - Apeness - Yarran

I Crozier , Mundy , Langdon, Kersten/Cox

I am not exactly calling time on the careers of Suban, Ballantyne, MJ, Dawson, Ibbotson and Clarke, but none of them have contracts beyond next season and all of them can see their replacements running along side them at training. D Pearce as well, despite his 2 year deal.

I expect them all to get games, and I expect the club to make decisions about how many games they get with the same ruthless professionalism they meted out to Barlow.

Surely you cant think they are best 22 if youve been watching Freo over the last couple seasons IMO,
Apeness has played about a half a dozen games over the past two seasons;pretty much always coming off limited prep.
I'd say after a full preseason your assessment may change.
I think he'll force his way into the 22 as a pack crashing,goal kicking forward ruck.

Apeness has played about a half a dozen games over the past two seasons;pretty much always coming off limited prep.
I'd say after a full preseason your assessment may change.
I think he'll force his way into the 22 as a pack crashing,goal kicking forward ruck.
Which is probably exactly what we need. Better to find out if he is up to it sooner than later. Some good draft options next year or hit the trade pool again.

I'm picking he'll be up to.Was running freely doing laps on Monday.Brady Grey's got a serious pair of thighs but Mr Apeness has Jarrah trees for legs.
He's one big unit and from the games I've seen he'll be our spearhead for a while.

We are in transition with most of the future pieces of the best 22 puzzle already available. Not a lot of point in not preferring to use them whenever appropriate. From your best 22 I would change to;

I would love if they gave Louge a whole bunch of games, But yeah apeness just doesnt tick enough boxes for me
yeah hes a big unit, but its not 1974 anymore, you need to be an athlete to play AFL at a quick and competitive level

FB Spurr/Sutcliffe/Ryan - Hamling - Tucker
HB Sheridan - A.Pearce/Collins - Logue
F Weller - Apeness - Yarran

I Crozier , Mundy , Langdon, Kersten/Cox

Also we would need to have a ruckman to give sandi a rest in the 22, i would have Clarke or Griffin coming off the bench to play that role
Apeness doesnt have the engine or overall fitness to play that role if we are trying to be a top 8 team again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back