Spurr Haimling Johnson

Crozier. A Pearce Weller

B Hill. Fyfe. S Hill

Kersten. McCarthy Walters

Ballantyne Apeness. Tabs

Rucks: Sandilands, Mundy, Neale

Bench:
Bennell, D Pearce, Tucker, Blakely.

Kersten for me isn't a key forward, more a high forward.

Also, McCarthy is pretty mobile as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I like this team, but when looking at the players missing out, Im left scratching my head. We could actually have a rotation policy for all positions.
Dont mind the idea of of all our older players just playing at home, with selected away games when the matchup is required.
Also A Pearce may give better value not just pigeon holed for the backline, no lack of height issues anymore.

I like this team, but when looking at the players missing out, Im left scratching my head. We could actually have a rotation policy for all positions.
Dont mind the idea of of all our older players just playing at home, with selected away games when the matchup is required.
Also A Pearce may give better value not just pigeon holed for the backline, no lack of height issues anymore.
Maybe, but it won't really happen. Also, why would you give games to Dawson or Suban if Hamling and Tucker for example, are performing? Especially when we have other young players in development who would be chomping at the bit for a run. The likes of Collins, Langdon, Logue and Deluca getting games would be my preference.

Agree, as much as I like Dawson and d.pearce to step aside, depth is really important also.A.Pearce and apeness all got durability and interrupted pre season issue. Johnson is another one that could retired early if another serious injury occurred.

Maybe, but it won't really happen. Also, why would you give games to Dawson or Suban if Hamling and Tucker for example, are performing? Especially when we have other young players in development who would be chomping at the bit for a run. The likes of Collins, Langdon, Logue and Deluca getting games would be my preference.
I admit it will have to be a tough call on which players Ross wants, but looking back on last year, the Bulldogs had injury concerns
at the right time of the season, to bring depth players in, and find form.
We will have injury concerns, all clubs do, but the importance of top four has diminished, and this can benefit our team with
development, rest, and instead of limping into finals, if we are there, we can come out all guns firing.

Our depth has never been better. You're right about some players being left out: Sutcliffe, ibbottson, Langdon, Sheridan, Dawson, Collins, Clarke, Logue, and Suban.

I would like for us to rotate players as well. Maybe, not all players but some.

Johnson for me should only play home games.

If we are going with only one ruck, then Sandilands may need a break here or there.

Tucker and Blakely still don't have enough in the tank for extended games. So maybe rotate some of our better young stars.

Ballantyne has injury issues for the last few years, so maybe give him a break or two in season.

Apeness and A Pearce are not fully training, so maybe rotate them.

Lyons needs to have a chat with Ric Charlesworth.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Logue should get a opportunity for majority of the season in the purple.You rarely see a top ten talent draft pick being left in the wafl the majority of the season unless it's a ruckman.

Logue should get a opportunity for majority of the season in the purple.You rarely see a top ten talent draft pick being left in the wafl the majority of the season unless it's a ruckman.
Not really. 4 players played 10 or less AFL games that were drafted in the top 10 in the 2015 draft (Francis, Hopper, Weideman and McKay)

Not really. 4 players played 10 or less AFL games that were drafted in the top 10 in the 2015 draft (Francis, Hopper, Weideman and McKay)
That's because they had little impact. You can go by statistics from one year but as a whole I'm sure it would be a different picture

I know this has been done before, but I have put the players into 8 categories. Some players fit into two or more categories. I'm sure people will disagree with some of my allocations.

Players in purple are those born in the 80s. If fit, they should be best 22 (except Griffin because Rucks are different), and if they aren't one of the best players and showing on ground leadership, they should be looking elsewhere at the end of the year.

Players in blue have at least 50 games behind them. They should have established themselves as players by now, and we (mostly) know what we get with them. At least some need to have career best years for Freo to climb.

Players in green have between 10 and 50 games experience. If these players get games, we should expect improvements from them, but also some inconsistency.

Players without colours have less than 10 games experience. Only those who force themselves into the team with outstanding play for Peel should get games. Unless we start terribly like 2016, then Lyon needs to get some games into quite a few of these players, even if there are older players performing better.

Tall Backs Joel Hamling, Zac Dawson, Michael Johnson, Alex Pearce, Sam Collins, Brennan Cox, Matthew Uerbegang

Small and Medium Backs Lee Spurr, Tommy Sheridan, Cam Sutcliffe, Garrick Ibbotson, Griffin Logue, Ethan Hughes, Luke Ryan, Taylin Duman, Ryan Nyhuis, Brady Grey, Lachie Weller, Hayden Crozier

Ruck Aaron Sandilands, Zac Clarke, Jonathan Griffin, Michael Apeness, Sean Darcy, Luke Strnadica

Large Bodied Midfielders Nathan Fyfe, David Mundy, Connor Blakely, Tommy Sheridan, Griffin Logue

Inside midfielders. Lachie Neale, Nathan Fyfe, Brady Grey, Darcy Tucker, Stephen Hill, Nick Suban, Josh deLuca

Wing, outside midfielders Brad Hill, Danyle Pearce, Stephen Hill, Harley Bennell, Ed Langdon, Nick Suban, Harley Balic, Tommy Sheridan, Hayden Crozier, Lachie Weller, Darcy Tucker

Small and Medium Forwards Michael Walters, Hayden Ballantyne, Harley Bennell, Hayden Crozier, Shane Kersten, Lachie Weller, Darcy Tucker, Josh deLuca, Harley Balic

Tall Forwards Cam McCarthy, Matt Taberner, Michael Apeness, Shane Kersten, Alex Pearce, Brennan Cox, Luke Strnadica, Matthew Uerbegang, Joel Hamling

Surprisingly, there appears to be the greatest depth among the Small and Medium Defenders, although not enough experience in the depth. I don't think Griffin Logue will get an early game. Hopefully the club can fix its ability to set up attacks from the backline this year.

The Outside Midfielders also seem to have good depth. The first 22 picked for round 1 will very interesting.

The Tall Forwards are the least experienced group. None have played 50 games. We are all expecting a couple of those forwards to really stand up, but it's just as likely not going to happen. Fingers crossed.

I have Lachie Weller, Hayden Crozier, Tommy Sheridan and Darcy Tucker in 3 positions. They are all good players, and I expect at least two of them to get regular games, but they need to hold down a spot.

I think the club will make early decisions about a few players in terms of their future with the club, especially Dawson, Griffin and Johnson. If they do not have a future beyond 2017 then they are there for depth and to some extent, leadership. But in terms of getting game time I hope that it is not at the expense of opportunity for a group of players who are pretty much in the timeframe where they can step up.

Dawson; I would be happy for a line to be put through him with a stamp saying ONLY OPEN IN EMERGENCY. Get Collins or Pearce to line up on the gorillas, and Hamling handled himself really well during the finals. Won't be with us next year, so no point treading water.

Griffin the possible exception as we have a vulnerable ruck situation, but in the right scenario, a taste of AFL for Darcy or a trial of Apeness as the main man for a game or two, is worth a lot more than Griffin getting a run. Injuries may determine whether he even gets an opportunity or not, but he is about my 3rd or 4th option, and a delist at years end for me.

MJ will be missed when the time comes, but the club has put in place some decent replacement options, and we have decent depth here. I am not a fan of rotating him in for home games. It is a different situation to Pavlich, where our cupboard was bare, and we needed him. There is greater value keeping him in the side to groom players, or leave him out to get games into the young ones. Struggling to see him suiting up in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the club will make early decisions about a few players in terms of their future with the club, especially Dawson, Griffin and Johnson. If they do not have a future beyond 2017 then they are there for depth and to some extent, leadership. But in terms of getting game time I hope that it is not at the expense of opportunity for a group of players who are pretty much in the timeframe where they can step up.

Dawson; I would be happy for a line to be put through him with a stamp saying ONLY OPEN IN EMERGENCY. Get Collins or Pearce to line up on the gorillas, and Hamling handled himself really well during the finals. Won't be with us next year, so no point treading water.

Griffin the possible exception as we have a vulnerable ruck situation, but in the right scenario, a taste of AFL for Darcy or a trial of Apeness as the main man for a game or two, is worth a lot more than Griffin getting a run. Injuries may determine whether he even gets an opportunity or not, but he is about my 3rd or 4th option, and a delist at years end for me.

MJ will be missed when the time comes, but the club has put in place some decent replacement options, and we have decent depth here. I am not a fan of rotating him in for home games. It is a different situation to Pavlich, where our cupboard was bare, and we needed him. There is greater value keeping him in the side to groom players, or leave him out to get games into the young ones. Struggling to see him suiting up in 2018.

So much will depend on how well the team performs in the first six weeks.
We have Geelong at home, Port Adelaide away, Bulldogs at home, Melbourne away, North at home then the Derby. 1-5 is very likely, but if Freo have improved then they could be 4-2.
If Freo wins more than half of these games, it will give confidence to the team and the older players will still contribute.
If Freo loses most of the games, I think some of the older players will not be seen playing for us again.

So much will depend on how well the team performs in the first six weeks.
We have Geelong at home, Port Adelaide away, Bulldogs at home, Melbourne away, North at home then the Derby. 1-5 is very likely, but if Freo have improved then they could be 4-2.
If Freo wins more than half of these games, it will give confidence to the team and the older players will still contribute.
If Freo loses most of the games, I think some of the older players will not be seen playing for us again.

We will win all of those.

Love it how every pre season someone goes the "we've never had so much depth" call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No depth also can't do anything about it (trade ended) , might as well said we've never had so much depth .

Love it how every pre season someone goes the "we've never had so much depth" call

One bad year under Lyon sort of proves that the depth has been okay, and even then we have been on the front foot
to turn things around quickly.
We have had some good depth players, have been good foot soldiers, but it now feels like a new era has begun, and
the quality, upside has been improved all over the ground.
Depth wasnt too bad with Menegola, Deboer, Mz, Silvagni finding new homes.

One bad year under Lyon sort of proves that the depth has been okay, and even then we have been on the front foot
to turn things around quickly.
We have had some good depth players, have been good foot soldiers, but it now feels like a new era has begun, and
the quality, upside has been improved all over the ground.
Depth wasnt too bad with Menegola, Deboer, Mz, Silvagni finding new homes.

We'd have close to the most delisted players on other AFL lists in the league. Maybe GWS would be ahead and perhaps no one else?

Yeh, well it's easy to have rose tinted glasses in the preseason. Rebellions are built on hope.

I do think we have a more balanced depth compared to previous seasons. Last year we had great midfield depth, and the year before we had a glut of big men who didn't make it.

We had more depth in the midfield last year than we do now, but have much greater depth in the backline. Losing Pavlich and Mayne from the forwards is significant, but we picked up three forwards including Strnadica (although he balances out Tanner Smith in theory).

I am happy with the depth of Defenders (tall and small), Ruck (but next year will be different unless Darcy develops quickly - which could happen), and less happy with the depth of Midfielders (I think we cut too deep - would have preferred to keep de Boer or Barlow) and Forwards (the Forwards are now the least experienced line).

The problem is the quality of the depth. Losing Fyfe, Sandilands and Johnson was critical because their replacements weren't up to the job. Hopefully the new recruits will help this year and the draftees will help in later years.

Bennell getting up would be good but based on Prior's comments yesterday he is mid season at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back