List Mgmt. 2018-19 DFA & SSP Period (Midseason Draft after Round 10)

Remove this Banner Ad

Friendly reminder that we could have snagged as much as Ian Hill, Bailey Williams and Will Hamill had we not traded for Mitch McGovern. :(

What are the chances of taking all 3 with those picks? We can't do hindsight drafting.

What are the chances of taking all 3 with those picks? We can't do hindsight drafting.
I might have been confusing the Hill pick, as I think we may have traded that in 2017? Regardless, we definitely could have swung Hamill and Williams, the former through swapping adjacent picks with Adelaide as part of the Stocker trade.

If we could have gone into the draft with the Hill pick, then we could have worked something with a future 3rd, or whatever we managed to net from the mature age pick we burnt in that same trade.

I understand you saying it's a hindsight call, but I was banging on about the value of the trade and some of the options available to us at the draft for that entire stretch of time. I think we ****ed up, despite McGovern's contributions, and I think Bolton was the biggest driver of that, SOS merely the facilitator.

I might have been confusing the Hill pick, as I think we may have traded that in 2017? Regardless, we definitely could have swung Hamill and Williams, the former through swapping adjacent picks with Adelaide as part of the Stocker trade.

If we could have gone into the draft with the Hill pick, then we could have worked something with a future 3rd, or whatever we managed to net from the mature age pick we burnt in that same trade.

I understand you saying it's a hindsight call, but I was banging on about the value of the trade and some of the options available to us at the draft for that entire stretch of time. I think we ****** up, despite McGovern's contributions, and I think Bolton was the biggest driver of that, SOS merely the facilitator.

I like McGovern. I like that he's a solid body that stands up for us physically. A few more speculators in the second round or lower is neither here nor there for me after going to the draft so much previously.

We should take Jye Bolton. Reckon we'll take some 65kg 21 year old who was playing 3rd grade ammos four weeks ago but projects as a top 10% percentile in off ball zoning or some other made up bullshit who will end up a averaging 11 disposals for the Northern Blues all year

Mitch McGovern is a very, very good footballer. The others may not amount to much. Williams is nice, though.

Is he though?

Currently averaging roughly 9 disposals, 4.5 marks, 1.75 goals and 1.2 tackles per game.

Last year he averaged 12 disposals, 6.5 marks, 1.25 goals and 1.2 tackles. The year before 11 disposals, 5 marks, 1.5 goals 2.6 tackles. 2016 (the only year he was even close to playing every game): 6 disposals, 4 marks, 1.4 goals, 2.6 tackles.

He's currently 24. Is that the output of a very,very good player in their prime?

I mean, to throw up a comparison, Jack Silvagni plays a similar role as a versatile/medium forward who can play a bit in defence (and in the midfield!), and is currently averaging 13.75 disposals, 4.8 marks, 1.2 goals, 3.6 tackles. Silvagni's current disposals, marks and tackles are comparable or ahead of McGovern's BEST career number in each stat, and he's not far off McGovern's career goal average. The only area where he falls behind is contested marks - to the tune of roughly 1 per game; in other words, a single forward 50 contest is impacted by that stat, whereas Silvagni is currently providing more in every other area.

Here's the kicker though - Silvagni is currently younger than McGovern was when he DEBUTED. Mcgovern is a finished product. Silvagni is still getting there.

Is Silvagni a very, very good player? No, he's not. He's a fringe AFL talent. So what is Mcgovern in comparison, and why exactly was it worth the price we paid for him?

The only thing I can think is that we were desperate for something in the mature age bracket, and McGovern was happy to come to us on an inflated salary, so we did what we could to get him... but we definitely overpaid

We should take Jye Bolton. Reckon we'll take some 65kg 21 year old who was playing 3rd grade ammos four weeks ago but projects as a top 10% percentile in off ball zoning or some other made up ******** who will end up a averaging 11 disposals for the Northern Blues all year
If we take another young skinny kid that will take years to develop I'll be livid. Needs to be a Hibberd/Dunkley type.

Is he though?

Currently averaging roughly 9 disposals, 4.5 marks, 1.75 goals and 1.2 tackles per game.

Last year he averaged 12 disposals, 6.5 marks, 1.25 goals and 1.2 tackles. The year before 11 disposals, 5 marks, 1.5 goals 2.6 tackles. 2016 (the only year he was even close to playing every game): 6 disposals, 4 marks, 1.4 goals, 2.6 tackles.

He's currently 24. Is that the output of a very,very good player?

I mean, to throw up a comparison, Jack Silvagni plays a similar role as a versatile/medium forward who can play a bit in defence (and in the midfield!), and is currently averaging 13.75 disposals, 4.8 marks, 1.2 goals, 3.6 tackles. Silvagni's current disposals, marks and tackles are comparable or ahead of McGovern's BEST career number in each stat, and he's not far off McGovern's career goal average. The only area where he falls behind is contested marks - to the tune of roughly 1 per game; in other words, a single forward 50 contest is impacted by that stat, whereas Silvagni is currently providing more in every other area.

Here's the kicker though - Silvagni is currently younger than McGovern was when he DEBUTED. Mcgovern is a finished product. Silvagni is still getting there.

Is Silvagni a very, very good player? No, he's not. He's a fringe AFL talent. So what is Mcgovern in comparison, and why exactly was it worth the price we paid for him?

The only thing I can think is that we were desperate for something in the mature age bracket, and McGovern was happy to come to us on an inflated salary, so we did what we could to get him... but we definitely overpaid
This was my argument when we drafted him. Gave up alot based on his age and output.

This was my argument when we drafted him. Gave up alot based on his age and output.

And weirdly, has a skillset that we have covered in spades. With Curnow, McKay, and Casboult, plus TDK, Silvagni and Kerr we have tall and medium forwards pretty well covered. Very odd move in hindsight...

One thing we don't have covered in spades are reliable goal kickers. MM gives us that and has the ability to be a match winner.
I'm glad we picked him up, we need more mature players with his ability across the board.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
This.

McG mightn't be prolific, but get the ball to him and he kicks them. Most of our players you're simply praying they manage to kick straight, knowing full well it will probably be a behind or OOTF, not make the distance etc. Plus he can high fly as well as anyone on his day and still has a ways to go fitness-wise. Think he'll surprise some doubters in time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friendly reminder that we could have snagged as much as Ian Hill, Bailey Williams and Will Hamill had we not traded for Mitch McGovern. :(

I'd say there would be a decent chance if our recruiters were on the ball.

Ian Hill is the small forward with pace and skill we're crying out for.

Bailey Williams is the forward/ruck option we've been searching for to replace Casboult. Given our list composition, I'm assuming TDK is being trained up to be the primary ruckman.

Will Hamill is the linebreaking defender we don't have. Because we don't have anyone who can run past a line in a zone and kick the ball a further 60m to penetrate defensive structures, we're very one dimensional coming out of defensive 50.

I'd say there would be a decent chance if our recruiters were on the ball.

Ian Hill is the small forward with pace and skill we're crying out for.

Bailey Williams is the forward/ruck option we've been searching for to replace Casboult. Given our list composition, I'm assuming TDK is being trained up to be the primary ruckman.

Will Hamill is the linebreaking defender we don't have. Because we don't have anyone who can run past a line in a zone and kick the ball a further 60m to penetrate defensive structures, we're very one dimensional coming out of defensive 50.

I'm saying you can't pick out 3 promising players around the mark of picks we traded out and compare them to the player we traded for. The odds are overwhelmingly against us picking those 3 up if we kept the picks.

If they were such certainties, others would have grabbed them first.

I'm saying you can't pick out 3 promising players around the mark of picks we traded out and compare them to the player we traded for. The odds are overwhelmingly against us picking those 3 up if we kept the picks.

If they were such certainties, others would have grabbed them first.

Regardless of whether we would have or wouldn't have drafted those players, it wasn't the smartest decision to spend significant currency in a strong draft on a 3rd tall forward when our midfielders are struggling to get the ball inside forward 50.

Days like today expose our lack of depth. We need to continue to build depth, not put all our eggs in one basket.

Regardless of whether we would have or wouldn't have drafted those players, it wasn't the smartest decision to spend significant currency in a strong draft on a 3rd tall forward when our midfielders are struggling to get the ball inside forward 50.

Days like today expose our lack of depth. We need to continue to build depth, not put all our eggs in one basket.
Disagree. Our forward line was too young. We picked up Setterfield and had #1 for Walsh.

We tried to get Shiel and failed. Getting physically mature players was always part of the plan.

We have heaps of midfielders now. They are just too inexperienced or aren't getting on the park enough.

Disagree. Our forward line was too young. We picked up Setterfield and had #1 for Walsh.

We tried to get Shiel and failed. Getting physically mature players was always part of the plan.

We have heaps of midfielders now. They are just too inexperienced or aren't getting on the park enough.

We're definitely lacking depth. You can't assume every high draft pick is going to make it. Unfortunately that's the reality of the situation.

A more practical option would have been to trade in a player like Jordan Murdoch to play across half back and allow Dale Thomas to play across half forward. That would give us another senior body up forward and more tackle pressure.

Thomas was one of the best players in the competition when he was playing that wing/half forward role for Collingwood. He's now playing across half back for us because it's more critical to have senior bodies down back to try and maintain a resilient defense.

I think it'll be very interesting to see who we pick. Do we pick someone who can have an instant impact or someone we can develop in the next 6 months to be ready next year or a project player? Do we take a ruckman, small forward or a mid?

I like the look of Knoll as a project ruckman and at 25yo could spend the next 6 months getting AFL ready.

Or develop players Ajang Ajang (doesn't fit needs but could be a very exciting player), Hirst or Tipungwuti but they will need time to develop.

Or if we want instant impact Lowan is a possibly but IMO Pickett will have the biggest impact of any player in the mid season draft if a club can get past his past.

My tip is Dunkley, Bolton and Freeman don't get picked up.

We should take Jye Bolton. Reckon we'll take some 65kg 21 year old who was playing 3rd grade ammos four weeks ago but projects as a top 10% percentile in off ball zoning or some other made up ******** who will end up a averaging 11 disposals for the Northern Blues all year

Totally agree here, our pick is tied to adelaide, so theres no point worrying about the draft or what not. Ive changed from Pickett to Bolton and id also take Hibberd. We must win, take 2 players who are absolutely ready, help cripps straight away and can also throw their weight around. Bolton gives us the shorter term option Hibbered the longer term option but both have an immediate impact, good balance both big boys.
If we take a 21 year 70kg kid, im done.

We're definitely lacking depth. You can't assume every high draft pick is going to make it. Unfortunately that's the reality of the situation.

A more practical option would have been to trade in a player like Jordan Murdoch to play across half back and allow Dale Thomas to play across half forward. That would give us another senior body up forward and more tackle pressure.

Thomas was one of the best players in the competition when he was playing that wing/half forward role for Collingwood. He's now playing across half back for us because it's more critical to have senior bodies down back to try and maintain a resilient defense.
One suggestion, start prefacing more of your posts with 'in my opinion'.

As in, in my opinion the suggestion of recruiting Jordan Murdoch is a laughable one.

I think it'll be very interesting to see who we pick. Do we pick someone who can have an instant impact or someone we can develop in the next 6 months to be ready next year or a project player? Do we take a ruckman, small forward or a mid?

I like the look of Knoll as a project ruckman and at 25yo could spend the next 6 months getting AFL ready.

Or develop players Ajang Ajang (doesn't fit needs but could be a very exciting player), Hirst or Tipungwuti but they will need time to develop.

Or if we want instant impact Lowan is a possibly but IMO Pickett will have the biggest impact of any player in the mid season draft if a club can get past his past.

My tip is Dunkley, Bolton and Freeman don't get picked up.
The ruckman from the Royals? He's not a good player. No scope for AFL-level performance imo

Need to take Marlion Pickett and give him his chance till the end of the year, best suited to help Cripps at the stoppages and has X factor, if it works out great if not our other mids should be ready to carry the load after another pre season. We need to get wins this year and a mature mid is our best chance at doing this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back