2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That makes no sense. Full Members already have access. That's probably all that was available at that time. Not to mention standing room is popular with MCC members.

According to twitter, they released 700 tickets to restricted members. And the advice was not to queue up but don't it online and collect your tickets from gate 2.

Why do people still queue up then when the extra tickets went in one minute online are they just stupid or dont know how it works?

Why do people still queue up then when the extra tickets went in one minute online are they just stupid or dont know how it works?

You had to pick the tickets up at gate 2 and the seating is also on a first in basis. If you were to buy the ticket online from home, then if you got to the ground at say 12pm, you would only have standing room left. The tickets sold to restricted members are also subject to capacity, so if you showed up at 2pm, you may not get in at all.

Poor ratings especially given the two clubs that were playing: West Coast and Collingwood and the close game. This makes last years Grand Final ratings between Richmond and Adelaide more impressive. Maybe Richmond supporters didn't want to watch the game??

The AFL trying its best to spin it.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-30/classic-grand-final-draws-43m-television-viewers
THE 2018 Toyota AFL Grand Final was the most-watched game on television this season, with those who tuned in treated to a classic contest between Collingwood and West Coast.

Saturday's match, which saw West Coast pull off a thrilling five-point win at the MCG, peaked at 4.3 million viewers nationally, figures released by the Seven Network show.

Seven's coverage delivered a metro and regional peak audience of 4.297 million in-home viewers, averaging 3.378 million viewers across the afternoon.

DARLING'S BLUNDER 10 things we learned from the Grand Final

The Magpie faithful in Melbourne helped the city's audience peak at 1.454 million.

Keen West Coast supporters also switched on the tube, with the Perth audience peaking at 568,000 as the Eagles triumphed narrowly in a thrilling contest over their eastern rivals.

These figures do not include those recorded on Fox Footy or those who streamed the game on the AFL Live Official App.

The numbers trump last season's Grand Final, when 3.563 million watched Richmond's drought-breaking premiership.

Poor ratings especially given the two clubs that were playing: West Coast and Collingwood and the close game. This makes last years Grand Final ratings between Richmond and Adelaide more impressive. Maybe Richmond supporters didn't want to watch the game??

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-30/classic-grand-final-draws-43m-television-viewers
THE 2018 Toyota AFL Grand Final was the most-watched game on television this season, with those who tuned in treated to a classic contest between Collingwood and West Coast.

Saturday's match, which saw West Coast pull off a thrilling five-point win at the MCG, peaked at 4.3 million viewers nationally, figures released by the Seven Network show.

Seven's coverage delivered a metro and regional peak audience of 4.297 million in-home viewers, averaging 3.378 million viewers across the afternoon.

DARLING'S BLUNDER 10 things we learned from the Grand Final

The Magpie faithful in Melbourne helped the city's audience peak at 1.454 million.

Keen West Coast supporters also switched on the tube, with the Perth audience peaking at 568,000 as the Eagles triumphed narrowly in a thrilling contest over their eastern rivals.

These figures do not include those recorded on Fox Footy or those who streamed the game on the AFL Live Official App.

The numbers trump last season's Grand Final, when 3.563 million watched Richmond's drought-breaking premiership.
Probably shows how few people were watching at the start of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Real drop off in Brisbane numbers. Logic would suggest an increase considering the number of Collingwood fans in Brisbane.

I think the decrease in GF ratings shows 3 things:
1. the FTA ratings continue to steadily drop for all programs, not just AFL, as people turn to streaming and other options for entertainment
2. in recent seasons the AFL GF ratings have bucked the trend mentioned above due to long-awaited success for the tigers and bulldogs
3. the state of the game overall. I know this was a cracking gf, one of the best in recent memory. But neutrals are losing interest due to the ongoing one-sided finals and congested low scoring games. These neutrals probably didnt make the effort to tune in to see a great contest

it is only 30K(or -2%), which is an insignificant number in the big scheme of things. It is 10-15 people with TV rating boxes who may have watched the game on 7-on-demand or at live sites or pubs or at a friends place. I find ratings for this kind of events as flawed.

The only rating which would really concern the AFL would be the Brisbane drop off, which is weird as I thought their ratings for the finals were quite solid. Probably just a freak result

Labour day long weekend in some states (NSW, SA & ACT) may have been a factor. People going away or spending time with family would take away some casual viewers.

It might have been two of the highest supported clubs playing but it was also two of the most disliked clubs playing as well. So many people I knew didnt want to watch either team win a flag so weren't really interested in watching at all tbh.

Real drop off in Brisbane numbers. Logic would suggest an increase considering the number of Collingwood fans in Brisbane.

How many do you really think there are? 10k? 20k? Wouldn't make a dent in ratings.

I can understand why overall numbers were down, I found it an awful game to watch. Not because of the standard of footy, it's because I hated to see either team win. 2 big clubs against each other will generally produce that sort of vibe all over the country.

Wonder if those numbers are the reason a twilight grand final might be on the cards next year.

Bring it on The ratings would improve a hell of a lot.

We all know that Sat afternoon is a dead zone The AFL just give the RL a free kick playing in the afternoon.At least it should go to Twilight next year.

A lot of my friends and family and I suspect many hundreds of thousands more were at work and playing sport and had to do with the Foxtel replay at 6pm.

It might have been two of the highest supported clubs playing but it was also two of the most disliked clubs playing as well. So many people I knew didnt want to watch either team win a flag so weren't really interested in watching at all tbh.

I lot of people I know that just wont watch Collingwood no matter who they are playing except if its their own team!

A terrific finals series in terms of crowds, recording the highest total in history, 50k in front of 2010 (even with its extra GF):

upload_2018-9-30_21-4-38.png

Every type of final (Elimination, Qualifying, Semi, Preliminary and Grand) recorded a top 5 crowd for the final 8 era:

upload_2018-9-30_21-7-11.png

upload_2018-9-30_21-7-17.png

upload_2018-9-30_21-7-25.png

upload_2018-9-30_21-7-29.png

upload_2018-9-30_21-7-35.png

The total for Week 1 was the highest ever, the total for Week 2 (the Semis) was the highest in the final 8 era and the total for Week 3 was the third highest ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back