2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct, that’s a little bit dodgy there by the AO. Accordingly the AFL could sell extra tickets to that centre square corporate hospitality thing they do on Grand Final day and we can give the 1970 record attendance a shake...

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
100k at the G and an extra 35k 600 meters away topped that.

It will get very good tv ratings due to the curiosity factor. People may not be willing to fork out for a ticket yet due to skepticism about the format even though ticket prices are very affordable.

However if seats are noticeably largely empty it will impact on perception that AFLX is unattractive even if the game itself turns out to be attractive on field.

Another factor that may be holding back AFLX from being embraced is the seeming strong resistance to change AFL fans have. Contrast the general malaise of AFL fans towards AFLX to that of RL fans to the Auckland 9's. With that, they originally had sell outs of Eden Park. AFLX probably won't get near that level of enthusiasm at the grounds.
I know the AFL own Etihad but this should be at AAMI where 20k looks good.

So what are people's thoughts regarding the crowds and ratings for AFLW in year two? I think by virtue of a 40-50k (or even bigger) crowd at Perth Stadium, the crowd average will almost certainly rise, but I also feel like average crowds will rise regardless of this one outlier.

Also, if they do get a record crowd for women's sport in Australia, that's fantastic publicity that could also have a positive effect on other crowds as people want to get in on the action.

Last year there was curiosity, whereas this year it feels more like proper anticipation. Launching the same weekend as the BBL finals isn't ideal (I can't recall if this also happened last year?), but with the A-League having a bit of a lackluster season there's a great opportunity to have the sporting limelight for a few weeks.

I have no idea about TV ratings, but given the continued success of the WBBL on TV it augers well for season 2 of AFLW maintaining or even growing the solid viewing figures of last year.

So what are people's thoughts regarding the crowds and ratings for AFLW in year two? I think by virtue of a 40-50k (or even bigger) crowd at Perth Stadium, the crowd average will almost certainly rise, but I also feel like average crowds will rise regardless of this one outlier.

Also, if they do get a record crowd for women's sport in Australia, that's fantastic publicity that could also have a positive effect on other crowds as people want to get in on the action.

Last year there was curiosity, whereas this year it feels more like proper anticipation. Launching the same weekend as the BBL finals isn't ideal (I can't recall if this also happened last year?), but with the A-League having a bit of a lackluster season there's a great opportunity to have the sporting limelight for a few weeks.

I have no idea about TV ratings, but given the continued success of the WBBL on TV it augers well for season 2 of AFLW maintaining or even growing the solid viewing figures of last year.
More anticipation for AFLW this season? I think the publicity and general buzz has seemed quite poor.

Also I think the AFL have put themselves between a rock and a hard place by making games free entry. The precident has been set and fans will continue to expect that.If they ever decide on making it paid entry how many fans will still go? On the other hand they are ensuring a loss making league by granting free entry.

More anticipation for AFLW this season? I think the publicity and general buzz has seemed quite poor.

Also I think the AFL have put themselves between a rock and a hard place by making games free entry. The precident has been set and fans will continue to expect that.If they ever decide on making it paid entry how many fans will still go? On the other hand they are ensuring a loss making league by granting free entry.

Im with you I think the build up has been very low key maybe once the games are on TV the coverage will improve.

The Tennis and Cricket would have also taken some of publics the focus away.

Think Adelaide will get 10k plus to all the 3 home games at Norwood oval, not the best suburban stadium but better than any other SANFL ground.

Drop off not unexpected. Small improvement in play with second pre-season under belts, but we have to be brutally honest, it was a very small improvement. The Pies players dropped the ball at least one in three times, making it a bit difficult to watch at times, but on the whole, they stayed in the hunt till the end and that made it entertaining enough.

With Melbourne and Adelaide in it no less, so not surprising to see Melbourne and Adelaide ratings down compared to last year.
Down? It's not just down, it's down by over half on the same game last year. Thats pretty much disastrous. The bbl match surely doesn't account for that big a drop. Its an indication the AFLW is on the nose with viewers. Ch7 would be very anxious about getting less than 200k viewers in prime time in Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Down? It's not just down, it's down by over half on the same game last year. Thats pretty much disastrous. The bbl match surely doesn't account for that big a drop. Its an indication the AFLW is on the nose with viewers. Ch7 would be very anxious about getting less than 200k viewers in prime time in Melbourne

It isn’t disasterous, last year the telecast only went up against A-League on SBS 2, whereas last night was up against Adelaide and Melbourne in a big bash semi. If you didn’t follow Carlton or Collingwood, chances are you flicked over to the Big Bash as you had an interest in one of the team and it was a good game.

I think long term it's future is on 7mate nationally, at least for the night games. That'll have people howling sexism no doubt, but on those numbers - and they're likely to be a high point before the finals - it's probably not sustainable on the main channel.

yeah I mean a big bash that pulled in 1 million viewers a session with teams from the primary aflw tv markets in Adelaide and Melbourne. Is it worth noting that AFLW outrated the WBBL game the same day?

yeah I mean a big bash that pulled in 1 million viewers a session with teams from the primary aflw tv markets in Adelaide and Melbourne. Is it worth noting that AFLW outrated the WBBL game the same day?

What's worth noting Wookie is that the aflw game was primetime on a main channel and the wbbl was on in the day on a secondary channel. AFLW can hardly take the brownie points considering the timeslots and the channel it was on.

What's worth noting Wookie is that the aflw game was primetime on a main channel and the wbbl was on in the day on a secondary channel. AFLW can hardly take the brownie points considering the timeslots and the channel it was on.

Im pretty sure you wouldnt let it take the brownie points anyway.

Drop off not unexpected. Small improvement in play with second pre-season under belts, but we have to be brutally honest, it was a very small improvement. The Pies players dropped the ball at least one in three times, making it a bit difficult to watch at times, but on the whole, they stayed in the hunt till the end and that made it entertaining enough.
Yep Im surprised it has held up so well as the standard of play is still very ordinary 11,200 at Norwood is still a good crowd.
It easily beat the A League Adelaide v Perth at the same time which only had 7696

As I have said before the soccer is in trouble and the move to summer where there is now a lot of competition from other major sports is not proving all that good - you can run but you cant hide.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back