Discussion 2018 AFL Finals Series - Week 3 Discussion (RICH v COLL, WCE v MELB)

Who do you want to win the Grand Final

• Richmond

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • Sydney

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • GWS

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Geelong

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He has.

But their entire summer was spent with Reid at FF, Dunn at FB and Darcy Moore as a swing man.

Mihocek wasn’t on anyone’s radar let alone being talked about as playing CHF for a top 4 team on their way to a prelim.

I’m not saying the Giants weren’t missing players but every team (bar Richmond) has had injuries this year & covered them much better than GWS did with their “super list”.

Pies set up with elite small forwards with speed and a spread of scoring options. Richmond model.

Ryan Griffen just retired.
Now there was a case of bad timing.

They should talk to Brendon Goddard about filling that spot. Would be a great fit IMO

I reckon GWS should sack Cameron - clearly not going to win them a premiership. The amount of talent they have and still constantly underperform in finals

Made 3 prelims in a row and were unlucky in a few, limped into finals and crashed out this year. Their real test will be holding on to talent when others start offering big money. They will have to stack with hard working De Boer types and hope.

Pies set up with elite small forwards with speed and a spread of scoring options. Richmond model.
It was obvious last night that GWS were trying to play a kick and mark game, and lacked good crumbing in the forward line, but Collingwood went for the share-it-around game and gave the smalls better use of the ball. GWS missed Kelly. Jeez I wish the Saints had Whitfield..

Made 3 prelims in a row and were unlucky in a few, limped into finals and crashed out this year. Their real test will be holding on to talent when others start offering big money. They will have to stack with hard working De Boer types and hope.
2 Prelims in a row....

Last night, they lost ;)

I think this is Melbourne's year. They look to repeat Richmond's success from last year, in that their bottom 6 - 8 players have lifted a lot and all seem to be playing their roles really well.

Also, it's amazing that ~2 years back I thought that us and Melbourne were around the same mark. Here's a list of Melbourne players from Friday who were drafted or traded in during 2013 & 2014 draft/trade periods:

Tyson, Vince, Salem, Harmes (Rookie), Jetta (Rookie), Petracca, Brayshaw, O MacDonald, ANB, Frost, Vandenberg

Literally half the best 22 drafted/traded in two years for a team that has now gone through to a prelim. Then they added Melksham, Oliver & Weideman the following year through draft / trade. Whoever their head of recruitment, is we should have just written them a blank cheque. Hats off to them - they absolutely smashed three straight years in a row.

Yes Diehard....the general view 3-4 years ago was that GWS were going to win a heap of cups.

They may not even win one with this group.

It's amazing how often something looks "a sure bet" but it never eventuates.

Not that it's a sure bet, but out of the two you have;

GCS: No self training or admin access, portable accommodations, individual talent.
GWS: Revision from GCS with additional concessions. AFL run.

Proof is in the pudding as GCS has consistently drastically under performed whilst GWS has steadily improved to contend finals more often than not.

Under Sheeds/Cameron they've gone 18, 18, 16, 11, 4, 4, 7 from 2012.

As opposed to GCS under McKenna/Blight/Eade/Dew who have gone, 17, 17, 14, 12, 16, 15, 17, 17 from 2011.

There's a very real reason why some of us of us were back then and are currently worried that they might go a 3 peat to get a run on. And for mine, it has a fair bit to do with the bolding.

Also, it's amazing that ~2 years back I thought that us and Melbourne were around the same mark. Here's a list of Melbourne players from Friday who were drafted or traded in during 2013 & 2014 draft/trade periods:

Tyson, Vince, Salem, Harmes (Rookie), Jetta (Rookie), Petracca, Brayshaw, O MacDonald, ANB, Frost, Vandenberg

Literally half the best 22 drafted/traded in two years for a team that has now gone through to a prelim. Then they added Melksham, Oliver & Weideman the following year through draft / trade. Whoever their head of recruitment, is we should have just written them a blank cheque. Hats off to them - they absolutely smashed three straight years in a row.
TheEnsign….you weren't Robinson Crusoe thinking we were on about the same level as Melb……...just about everyone thought that.

I remember at the end of the 2016 season....most media outlets asked the question as to who was the closest to taking the next step....it was Melb ...just.

Well.......as it turned out...the gap between the 2 is the length of the Flemington straight!

And re the Dees smashing the draft 3 years in row.......very very similar to the Dogs pre 2016.

I think this is Melbourne's year. They look to repeat Richmond's success from last year, in that their bottom 6 - 8 players have lifted a lot and all seem to be playing their roles really well.

Play contested footy and score freely...that's finals ideal set of traits.

TheEnsign….you weren't Robinson Crusoe thinking we were on about the same level as Melb……...just about everyone thought that.

I remember at the end of the 2016 season....most media outlets asked the question as to who was the closest to taking the next step....it was Melb ...just.

Well.......as it turned out...the gap between the 2 is the length of the Flemington straight!

And re the Dees smashing the draft 3 years in row.......very very similar to the Dogs pre 2016.

They really nailed their drafting since Roos was there.

Feeling particularly miserable at the moment regarding St Kilda.

Seeing Melbourne up there again and us so far off it is stinging. I watched the Final Draw Doco and that made it much worse as well.

It feels like we had our chance before the AFL decided to play favourites with the big clubs and open up free agency and we blew it, and unless we really get our s**t together we'll always be blocked out of getting back there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's an article from a couple years ago (probably when paddy actually played a decent game) that described trout convincing everyone paddy was the man.

Dukes better than lever, taller than Peter Wright, better goal sense than De Goey, the figjam arrogance that makes a good player a great player in spades over petracca.

But most of all just a really good bloke.

well i'd say he's a good bloke at least!.....

getting the feeling the WCE are in for a shock this weekend .... they have had a good rub of the green from the umps for near on a decade and i have a feeling thats going to change against the Dee's .... get set for Boo fest 2018 as i think the WCE fans are going to go off ...

Gawn will be huge tomorrow. Could be the difference.
i really do hope they beat the eagles .... this season has been almost unbearble with the crowing from the WCE supporters especially when many (including me) thought they were looking at a bottom 4 season this year

i really do hope they beat the eagles .... this season has been almost unbearble with the crowing from the WCE supporters especially when many (including me) thought they were looking at a bottom 4 season this year

Understand living in Perth would be a challenge with the Weagles however I hope they trounce Melbourne tomorrow night.

It like Melbourne supporters believe they have been a dominant force for years here. Even tigers supporters are less arrogant.

C'mon Weagles!.

Understand living in Perth would be a challenge with the Weagles however I hope they trounce Melbourne tomorrow night.

It like Melbourne supporters believe they have been a dominant force for years here. Even tigers supporters are less arrogant.

C'mon Weagles!.
lets split the differance .... eagles lose tomorrow then the Dee's get the Port 2007 treatment next saturday (provided of course its not against Collingwood) ???

My prediction for tonight- will be a tight contest till about half way through the third quarter and then the tigers will kick away.

Tigers by 21 points at 3/4 time and win by 32 with a tight reign.

I'll be clear, the '09 GF result is 7 points in the cats favour, the record books state 12. Until such a time as the AFL review the result and amend the result to reflect their screw up, they are incompetent cheats engineering results to suit a narrative.

The clubs since having had opponents which otherwise have folded easily is eh, it happens, but it's telling that the final result is 12 points instead of 7, as the AFL can do no wrong especially when they admit it was wrong.

Unfortunately that isn't possible. You just have to go as the umpires say even if they make mistakes. If Hawkins is correctly given a point by the umpire, it gets kicked back in instead of going back to the middle. The whole game changes after that, nothing that ended up happening would have occurred, a different sequence of events would have taken place. If you void a result because a goal umpire made a mistake, then you would have to do the same for every game where free kicks were given to the wrong team. Obviously scoring is clear cut and mostly spot on so it's a unique problem, St Kilda was just unlucky. The truth is that they had the opportunity to kill Geelong before half time and didn't take it. One day, it might take decades, but it'll happen and we'll get the rub of the green and it won't be an issue

Back