Analysis 2018 Draft Strategy, what was that all about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wondering if a couple of the smarter folk out there could explain what we did with this draft. Drafting Kosi makes sense, trading for Walker, who was passed on by GWS doesn’t.

Then we pass on the ‘real’ draft all of a sudden to load up on rookies. Does this mean we’re fairly happy with a few of the current rookies? Also, Tim Mohr? Where did that come from?

Tim Mohr?!? Graham Wright must have been seriously concussed between picking up Will Golds and our next pick.

Oh well, lets hope it works out.

Wondering if a couple of the smarter folk out there could explain what we did with this draft. Drafting Kosi makes sense, trading for Walker, who was passed on by GWS doesn’t.

Then we pass on the ‘real’ draft all of a sudden to load up on rookies. Does this mean we’re fairly happy with a few of the current rookies? Also, Tim Mohr? Where did that come from?
I was wondering this. I assume it's a salary cap minimisation technique. We think we've got enough on the senior list, and the rookie list offers the flexibility to play guys, that I don't think we see the need to load up on more draftees. If it saves us 50-100k, that's extra $ to put towards an FA next year.

The Mohr pick makes zero sense too me.

We have an abundance of backs and Mirra for depth.

The fact he is 31 next year is also strange.
On the Mohr front, I think he is back up. He may have 2 good years left. I'm wondering also whether we're wanting to continue the Mirra forward experiment?

Tim Mohr?!? Graham Wright must have been seriously concussed between picking up Will Golds and our next pick.

Oh well, lets hope it works out.
Gorillas that can play body on body may become vital with the new rule changes

The Mohr pick makes zero sense too me.

We have an abundance of backs and Mirra for depth.

The fact he is 31 next year is also strange.

Umm no we don’t. Only Frawley and Brand are the genuine key defenders on the list. If one of them get injured or both then Mohr would come in and be the next option.

Nash is not a key defender. He plays like a tall flanker. Mirra is way too undersized to be a key defender and Schoenmakers hasn’t played in defense in over six years.

This is a good move. It benefits Hawthorn and at the same time Box Hill get themselves an experienced key defender who can support some of the young defenders at VFL level for a couple of years.

Last edited:
I'm actually amazed at the amount of people questioning us rookie-ing an experienced key backman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overall a pretty solid draft hall imo. Mohr adds much needed KPD depth where we are light on if that was the title of this thread was aimed at. It shows that we seriously believe that we can do something special next year and our main weakness was in this area if injuries occurred. Smart play. The only one that has left my head scratching is the selection of Greaves where I would of hoped we took a punt on a player with speed where we lack much depth.

I'm actually amazed at the amount of people questioning us rookie-ing an experienced key backman.
I'm not. He is 30 yo and was delisted for a reason. May end up being a solid backup, but I really hope he doesn't get a game - for reasons that there are others keeping him out.

Overall a pretty solid draft hall imo. Mohr adds much needed KPD depth where we are light on if that was the title of this thread was aimed at. It shows that we seriously believe that we can do something special next year and our main weakness was in this area if injuries occurred. Smart play. The only one that has left my head scratching is the selection of Greaves where I would of hoped we took a punt on a player with speed where we lack much depth.
Another ranga is good. We obviously missed Fetta.

Totally agree. Mohr is 196/103kgs, that’s a big boy in anyone’s language. Way bigger and heavier than all our defenders other than Frawley and Brand, neither of whom have set the world on fire in the past couple of seasons.

It’s a very cheap bit of insurance which I feel we may actually make a few claims on next season.

Totally agree. Mohr is 196/103kgs, that’s a big boy in anyone’s language. Way bigger and heavier than all our defenders other than Frawley and Brand, neither of whom have set the world on fire in the past couple of seasons.

It’s a very cheap bit of insurance which I feel we may actually make a few claims on next season.

Good to have an experienced unit to fill a position down back. We lack size and the guy can play as a bit of insurance, if needed to cover an injury.

Don't see the problem. Bit of money ball.

On the Mohr front, I think he is back up. He may have 2 good years left. I'm wondering also whether we're wanting to continue the Mirra forward experiment?

Mirra didn't have the season we hoped, imo. Maybe 2nd year he'll be better... and maybe play more forward.

Rookie picks are always interesting, anyways. Insurance & speculation.

Exactly! We had just two genuine key defenders on the list this morning.

Frawley is slowing and Brand is still developing. Mirra is grossly undersized as an AFL KPD but makes up for it with footy smarts - but that's not going to be enough if he's forced to play against an athletic 2m tall forward.

So picking up Kozzie was a no-brainer, as we need to develop a KPD. And while he may get a game next year he's unlikely to play many as he's probably not ready.

So that's where Mohr comes in. A late rookie pick for an experienced, mature bodied KPD. We haven't drafted him as someone we think we can turn around into a Norm Smith medalist and who will hold down full back for us for the next 10 years or something. Best case for Hawthorn is we never have to play him at AFL level and he offers stability and protection to the kids playing in defence at Box Hill. But should we need him to play AFL he will be capable of playing the role and it will probably be 100x better than throwing Kozzie to the wolves (if he isn't ready), playing someone like Nash or Lewis out of position, or just hoping Stratton or Sicily can go with Buddy or Lynch.

We really had nothing to work with. Entering at 53 means we're not going to get 'wow' players on draft night.

Without the inside running it's impossible to know which of these kids will make and which won't. As a fan, all I want is for us to recruit player types that we lack. Then it's over to the development team. I think we did that.

I also think that fans look much more short term than the recruitment. The development team and coaches will be focusing on Lewis, Worpel, Morrison, Ross, O'Halloran, The new GC guy, Nash and Glass to step up a level, while the guys we picked up today will be nursed through for a couple of years.

It’s not the key backman part, it’s the Tim Mohr bit. He’s ok, but surely there was a younger KPB out there

It's big footy, he's 30, nuff said

It’s not the key backman part, it’s the Tim Mohr bit. He’s ok, but surely there was a younger KPB out there
Sure, there's probably plenty of younger, lighter, less experienced key backman out there...

Mohr gives us depth in a key part of the ground that we didn't have much if any depth in prior to the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back