Mega Thread 2018 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once and Sandi went down early. You can't play Lobb/Darcy/Sandilands as rucks/forwards + Cox and Taberner as genuine tall forwards.

If we bring in Lobb it's Lobb at FF, Taberner CHF, Cox 3rd tall defender replacing

Johnson/Duman, Sandilands 50% ruck 20% forward, Darcy 50% ruck 40% forward.

Cox was AA u18 defender if I’m not mistaken. He could become a genuine swing man. We don’t lose much moving him with his goal kicking anyways.

Lasted less than a half. Sandilands tore his hammy.

Ah yep I remember

So we have competition for positions, and depth?

Pretty much goes off the last point I made regarding this setup. Lobb provides selection competition and increases depth in that area.

If all are fit and available, I think we play (PRE - JLT / PRESEASON FORM) Sandi / Darcy / Tab CHF / Lobb FF

Don't worry people, if they're the best come Round 1 there is no way we're going to get all 4 fit and available week in week out anyways, which will leave enough playing opportunity for sufficient experience and development for the likes of Cox / Dixon / Jones / Meek when they get the call up.

Cox improved this year but he's still developing. He's not going to play 22 games next year and we have no idea what his playing trajectory looks like. There's a good chance he keeps developing and improving which means he never drops his spot or he could one day just become a swingman type tall like Hooker / Taylor, why would he be opposed to playing across CHB w/ Ryan & Duman if he had to? I think it'll be a good idea for his development to throw him down there time to time. It's much better than opting to throw the likes of Pearce / Hamling forward.

Just something to throw around:

#1 Ruck: Sandilands
Forward-Ruck: Darcy

Langdon - Taberner - McCarthy/Cox
Switkowski - Lobb - Walters

Darcy can go #1 and have Lobb's support if Sandilands goes down which would bring a Cox / Dixon in.

Depth: McCarthy/Cox, Apeness, Dixon, Jones, Meek.

We'll no doubt get 10+ games out of Cox who could push one of the talls out on form / injuries.
Apeness / Jones will play a few and Meek will get a debut in the likely chance Sandilands goes down and when Darcy inevitably needs to be dropped.
Wouldn't expect 22 games from Lobb either.

Just remember our S&C aren't gods people.

Darcy plays WAFL.
I’d have Darcy playing WAFL even if we don’t have Lobb and everyone else is fit.

Sandilands and Darcy shouldn’t be in the same team.

Respectfully disagree, Sandi into his last year. Sean needs to be #1 Ruck and playing wherever possible. Sandi subordinate to that end.

If Lobb comes and Im not convinced although I can see he fits as a forward and ruck. But then we have Cox, Tabs and McCarthy as well. McCarthy plays WAFL til he demands a place. Cox could go back as a 3rd tall.

McCarthy needs to lose his man boobs and find some form, 2019 is a big year for him.

Decent argument if we had numbers all across the ground. As is if we get Lobb we'll have incredibly stiff competition with the talls (4 of Sandi, Darcy, Lobb, Cox, Tabs, Apeness and even Dixon will have to miss out every week) yet a complete dearth of quality small/medium forwards.

Very dumb move if Lobb costs anything more than a 2nd.

Isn’t the reason Freo is looking at Lobb is that GWS is salary dumping? ie we are getting him for unders.
I agree, a first for Lobb who is not a clear need ( but a clear upgrade) would not be a good deal. But get him for a future second? You beauty.
We had and are likely to continue have injuries, so there won’t be too many talls sitting around on their hands. If Freo get Lobb, then they can happily target small forwards higher in the draft.

I’ve been thinking for most of the day, could be ok if lobb comes with the same enthusiasm I have if conca comes, but doesn’t really excite me like hogan talk or even when Bennell, Mccarthy, brad hill or Nathan Wilson speculation. I think he would be a nice little upgrade but doesn’t really change the team much and doesn’t kick enough goals.

I went into the main board to see what they thought the trade would be. I’m thinking a second rounder. There is plenty of talk of pick 4 (if they get it for Neale), or the best one yet was a three way with Brisbane where freo trade Neale and a third round pick for lobb.

am I massively under valuing lobb? Or has everyone else got it wrong?

If Neale stays and Lobb comes in, it must be for future draft picks.
Either straight 2019 2nd or if more is needed:
Feo 2019 2nd, Freo 2019 3rd > Lobb, GWS 3rd

That really removes the possibility of us using future 2nd/3rd to get back into the third round in 2018.

Also we have Part time Sandi, Lobb (fwd/ruck), Darcy (main ruck) and Meek developing with Peel.

We would need to get rid of one and possibly two of the following:
- Apeness
- Jones
- Strnadica

Apeness was decent in the middle part of the year apart from that game where he was thrown to wolves against Stefan Martin (when Sandi did his calf minutes before bounce down). He must have impressed the list manager at the time as he was subsequently signed for 1 year.

I would think Jones is in trouble. His fwd line work was ok but terrible in the ruck contests. I was willing to give him a proper pre-season but I’d say he will be pushing up hill to make it.

Strnadica has some tools, showing some promise as a marking fwd. He can be retained on the rookie list for a third year.

I’d say Apeness would be put up for trade and with Lobb being added he is on borrowed time but happy for him to serve his contract if unable to be traded. I doubt there will be interest from other clubs.

Thoughts??

That's great if we're playing finals.

But if we finish bottom 6 and Darcy or Cox spend most of the year playing WAFL they won't hang around. Then Sandilands retires and we're scrambling for talls again.
People around here have som strange ideas of how long developing talls are likely to hang around for splitting their time between the firsts and seconds as they mature.

If Neale stays and Lobb comes in, it must be for future draft picks.
Either straight 2019 2nd or if more is needed:
Feo 2019 2nd, Freo 2019 3rd > Lobb, GWS 3rd

That really removes the possibility of us using future 2nd/3rd to get back into the third round in 2018.

Also we have Part time Sandi, Lobb (fwd/ruck), Darcy (main ruck) and Meek developing with Peel.

We would need to get rid of one and possibly two of the following:
- Apeness
- Jones
- Strnadica

Apeness was decent in the middle part of the year apart from that game where he was thrown to wolves against Stefan Martin (when Sandi did his calf minutes before bounce down). He must have impressed the list manager at the time as he was subsequently signed for 1 year.

I would think Jones is in trouble. His fwd line work was ok but terrible in the ruck contests. I was willing to give him a proper pre-season but I’d say he will be pushing up hill to make it.

Strnadica has some tools, showing some promise as a marking fwd. He can be retained on the rookie list for a third year.

I’d say Apeness would be put up for trade and with Lobb being added he is on borrowed time but happy for him to serve his contract if unable to be traded. I doubt there will be interest from other clubs.

Thoughts??
Apeness isn’t worth anything, will either retire after next big injury, or quit footy / get delisted end of year.

Very surprised he got another year.

People around here have som strange ideas of how long developing talls are likely to hang around for splitting their time between the firsts and seconds as they mature.

I know right!

Darcy ain’t exactly going to crack the shits if he only plays 8-12 games. He would know he’s 99% likely to take over as the number 1 ruck at 21 years of age.

What’s the harm of Cox going back to WAFL if he’s forced out?

One player... Lobb... isn’t going to create a massive shift. He’s best 22.

Guys like Apeness, Jones, Meek, Strnadica can either improve or cya later.

I really don’t get our supporters mentality.

I know right!

Darcy ain’t exactly going to crack the shits if he only plays 8-12 games. He would know he’s 99% likely to take over as the number 1 ruck at 21 years of age.

What’s the harm of Cox going back to WAFL if he’s forced out?

One player... Lobb... isn’t going to create a massive shift. He’s best 22.

Guys like Apeness, Jones, Meek, Strnadica can either improve or cya later.

I really don’t get our supporters mentality.
The point is using draft picks and significant cap space on a player that doesnt improve out best 22 in about two + years time. Apart from being able to clunk marks, he isnt that good a forward according to almost every stat. And that's playing with Shiel and Kelly lobbing it down his throat. He's exactly what we already have, a lot of B grade or worse tall forwards.

There is a decent chance Cox will be a better fwd than Lobb next year, yet alone in 2-3 years when he has more games and pre-seasons under his belt. Using what will at best be a 2nd round pick on a player that provides minimal net gains to our side seems like poor list management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets say for arguments sake that the Lobb deal gets done and he's in purple next year and all our talls are fit leading into round one.

Sandilands won't be playing WAFL, and neither will Lobb if we trade for a player on $600,000ish. So either Cox plays back, or one of Cox/Taberner/Darcy starts the year in the WAFL.
From those three names in comparison to Lobb
Cox: With another pre-season I'd argue he will be a better fwd than Lobb, hell, if Cox was in the GWS team he would have done more than Lobb did this year anyway.
Taberner: Lobb is a better ruck, line call on the fwd ability. If Tabs hadnt have gotten injured when he did I wonder if it would be line ball
Darcy: A significantly better ruck and with lots of improvement left in him and worse fwd.

Spending 600k (GWS are apparently paying him 700k at the moment so 600k is generous) and at least a 2nd round pick (I also dont think a future 2nd is possible but they may be desperate) seems incredibly stupid for the small gains to our best 22.

I do not think think Cox, Tabs and Lobb can be in the fwdline together. Cox is the only one that tackles are all three have average pace at best. Teams would walk out of our fwdline

The point is using draft picks and significant cap space on a player that doesnt improve out best 22 in about two + years time. Apart from being able to clunk marks, he isnt that good a forward according to almost every stat. And that's playing with Shiel and Kelly lobbing it down his throat. He's exactly what we already have, a lot of B grade or worse tall forwards.

There is a decent chance Cox will be a better fwd than Lobb next year, yet alone in 2-3 years when he has more games and pre-seasons under his belt. Using what will at best be a 2nd round pick on a player that provides minimal net gains to our side seems like poor list management.

Well I'll back him in.

We've brought in Hill, Wilson, Matera, McCarthy, Hamling and Kersten in last 2 years. You win some you lose some.

I'd rather Lobb and use pick 5 on a midfielder than not take Lobb and grab a King.

Ironically the last team to win a GF with a 3 tall forward line was Hawks against us, why does it always feel like we are
heading in the wrong direction?
Strong midfield's and balanced forward lines, especially the ground ball, are the hardest to contain, pressure football.
Freo have history of being seduced by other clubs players, some are good moves Hamling,Wilson, while others you just
shake your head, Anthony, Sylvia, Gumbleton.
Talent identification, internal development always feels like its done on the run, or bagging heads.

Ironically the last team to win a GF with a 3 tall forward line was Hawks against us, why does it always feel like we are
heading in the wrong direction?
Strong midfield's and balanced forward lines, especially the ground ball, are the hardest to contain, pressure football.
Freo have history of being seduced by other clubs players, some are good moves Hamling,Wilson, while others you just
shake your head, Anthony, Sylvia, Gumbleton.
Talent identification, internal development always feels like its done on the run, or bagging heads.

When two are roughead and Gunstan, you can get away with it.

I am happy to play 3 key forwards, as long as one is a player like McCarthy (if he gets fit) or Dixon.

You could have 6 de Goey's in your forward line, because he is as agile as a small forward.

From those three names in comparison to Lobb
Cox: With another pre-season I'd argue he will be a better fwd than Lobb, hell, if Cox was in the GWS team he would have done more than Lobb did this year anyway.
Taberner: Lobb is a better ruck, line call on the fwd ability. If Tabs hadnt have gotten injured when he did I wonder if it would be line ball
Darcy: A significantly better ruck and with lots of improvement left in him and worse fwd.

Spending 600k (GWS are apparently paying him 700k at the moment so 600k is generous) and at least a 2nd round pick (I also dont think a future 2nd is possible but they may be desperate) seems incredibly stupid for the small gains to our best 22.

I do not think think Cox, Tabs and Lobb can be in the fwdline together. Cox is the only one that tackles are all three have average pace at best. Teams would walk out of our fwdline
This

When two are roughead and Gunstan, you can get away with it.

I am happy to play 3 key forwards, as long as one is a player like McCarthy (if he gets fit) or Dixon.

You could have 6 de Goey's in your forward line, because he is as agile as a small forward.
de Goey's going to be a very special forward (already almost there). Same height as Fyfe and Darling but the body shape and speed of an inside mid, with a decent jump, self confidence, and a 'nasty' competitive streak.

I’ve been thinking for most of the day, could be ok if lobb comes with the same enthusiasm I have if conca comes, but doesn’t really excite me like hogan talk or even when Bennell, Mccarthy, brad hill or Nathan Wilson speculation. I think he would be a nice little upgrade but doesn’t really change the team much and doesn’t kick enough goals.

I went into the main board to see what they thought the trade would be. I’m thinking a second rounder. There is plenty of talk of pick 4 (if they get it for Neale), or the best one yet was a three way with Brisbane where freo trade Neale and a third round pick for lobb.

am I massively under valuing lobb? Or has everyone else got it wrong?
Neale and a third rounder !!! Have these guys seen Lobb play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back