Traded 2018 Live Trade: Carlton trade #4 (2019) to Adelaide for #19 (2018) and #9 (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

ss
Low production flankers were on the agenda then? Carving it up is hugely overstating it with Milera, who has been solid but unspectacular in his 3rd year. Curnow would have been handy with Walker and Jenkins aging and McGovern now gone.

Galluci averages 12 touches a game, Fisher 19 playing roughly the same position.

Edit: Galluci played 16 games this year, Fisher 17. He had similar opportunities, he’s just not as good.

Edit #2: Galluci 80% avg TOG, Fisher 76% avg TOG

Cherry picking the Data a bit
One could also put up each of there first 17 games side by side and you get a different picture, a lot different.

ss

Cherry picking the Data a bit
One could also put up each of there first 17 games side by side and you get a different picture, a lot different.

Hardly cherry-picking. These are side-by-side comparisons of two second year forward flankers who rotate through the midfield; and keep in mind Gallucci played senior games in 2017 as well.

Far more similarities than differences at this stage, Fisher just happens to be the better player to this point - and I’d be happy to project he will be a better player by the end of their careers too.

Last edited:

Hardly cherry-picking. These are side-by-side comparisons of two second year forward flankers who rotate through the midfield; and keep in mind Gallucci played senior games in 2017 as well.

Far more similarities than differences at this stage, Fisher just happens to be the better player to this point - and I’d be happy to project he will be a better player by the end of their careers too.

Na your Cherry Picking Data, Gallucci only Play 17 games total, Crows tend to make players earn the right to play not gift them games.
By the Way Fisher first 17 games were OK but not great and definitely not highlighting he will be the better player.
I would have waited until end of this year before even attempt looking at who will be better.
And they are not the same type of Players and currently do not play the same position. maybe at the end of the year, you will see the difference

Point being the same things were being said by Blues fans during the last lot of recruiters.
Who is to say the processes have been improved? I mean SOS has shown a distinct lack of professionalism and nous just to mention one person.

Arent there still members of that previous team around? O'Sullivan?

If you now nail a few early selections are you going to say that the problem has been fixed? I mean after all top 5 picks you should nail 90% of the time.

What Carlton fans say has no bearing on the record of this recruitment team. Conflating things totally unrelated makes for a vacuous argument.

Are you suggesting this current recruiting team, over the last four drafts, has performed no better than the those who reigned over the previous six? I can only suggest you investigate further.

I haven’t seen any indication at this stage of SOS’s lack of nous and professionalism. He walked into a club that finished last, with little currency on the list and repeatedly got back into the first round of the draft to nab guys like Curnow, McKay and O’Brien. He played the Gibbs situation like a fiddle. Used state picks this year to get McGovern for a second rounder and a second to third round downgrade, and Setterfield for a second rounder. He clearly understands how this footy biz works and has used that to squeeze every bit of recruiting currency he could out the list.

No. And Shane O’Sullivan hasn’t been a part of Carlton’s recruiting team for over 15 years.

1. Milera was spectacular this year. You obviously saw very few of his games.
No he's not Charlie Curnow, and most likely wont be as good as Curnow over his career, but he has AA potential for sure.
Certainly not a dud pick like you were trying to imply.

2. You cant draft on the basis that specific players are going to leave. I notice you mention McGovern. We used pick 43 and what did you pay for him 4 years later?
When was the last time that Carlton drafted a player in the 3rd-4th round and then get a solid career or trade out of them?

3. Galluci played forward flank, not midfield like Fisher. That would easily explain the difference in statistics.
Not roughly the same position at all. Have a look at the heat maps if anyone you know has Champion Data access.
He hasnt had the ability, like Fisher, to have a free run at his preferred position.

1. I really like Milera, but he is certainly currently not in the same league as Curnow

2. Robinson, Garlett, Touhy, Betts, Jacobs... names worth mentioning.

3. Galluci is showing at AFL level what he was like at junior level, low possession player with some x factor.

Na your Cherry Picking Data, Gallucci only Play 17 games total, Crows tend to make players earn the right to play not gift them games.
By the Way Fisher first 17 games were OK but not great and definitely not highlighting he will be the better player.
I would have waited until end of this year before even attempt looking at who will be better.
And they are not the same type of Players and currently do not play the same position. maybe at the end of the year, you will see the difference

Both played senior footy in 2017, both have two pre-seasons under their belt and played the same amount of games this year, in a similar position.

Of course you would (conveniently) wait until the end of next year, because currently Fisher is smashing him despite spending less time on the ground.

Talk up the Adelaide recruiting all you want, this looks like one (along with Curnow) Ogilvie and co have got wrong.

Interestingly enough, Carlton has had no depth so one persons gifting of games is another person not having to watch Graham play AFL football again.

Why would you compare a 19yo Fisher to a 20yo Gallucci? Surely being the same age, from the same draft, you’d just compare them head to head wouldn’t you?

Fisher has definitely shown more to this point. Same with Curnow and Milera. I’m not having a crack at those two Crows players and think Milera in particular is gonna be a real good player, but it’s a fair thing to point to when a Crows poster suggests Carlton supporters should somehow have less confidence in their recruiters.

Or they pick another ‘Cripps’ with their pick 10-12 they will probably get this year and the Crows get a Toumpas with their pick 2-4.

We haven’t nabbed anything close to a Toumpas without having close to a 2-4 pick. It could happen for sure, but it’d be one hell of an outlier based on our last few years in the first round of the draft. Every player that’s left over the last 3 years has been sold at a tidy profit compared to what we paid at the ND.

Both played senior footy in 2017, both have two pre-seasons under their belt and played the same amount of games this year, in a similar position.

Of course you would (conveniently) wait until the end of next year, because currently Fisher is smashing him despite spending less time on the ground.

Talk up the Adelaide recruiting all you want, this looks like one (along with Curnow) Ogilvie and co have got wrong.

Still Cherry Picking, stats to suit your argument. And Fisher not exactly smashing him, again two different players playing in different positions,
One could say Gallucci is better at scoring goals but that would be wrong because he gets to spends the most time in the forward line while Fisher plays in the Middle. It was only the last couple of games Gallucci spent a bit of time in the Midfield rotation.

And we talk up our recruitment because Ogilvie has not missed with a first round selection. does that mean he get the absolute best player no, but it means he gets a top player who will play a lot of senior football games.

Why would you compare a 19yo Fisher to a 20yo Gallucci? Surely being the same age, from the same draft, you’d just compare them head to head wouldn’t you?

Fisher has definitely shown more to this point. Same with Curnow and Milera. I’m not having a crack at those two Crows players and think Milera in particular is gonna be a real good player, but it’s a fair thing to point to when a Crows poster suggests Carlton supporters should somehow have less confidence in their recruiters.

Not comparing them by Age, comparing them by Game's played, why are you guys comparing a player who has played 1 prior to the season starting against a player who played 17 games before the season started.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The interesting part of that trade is that Adelaide knocked back St Kilda's offer even though it included an extra pick #34
Lets see if the crows made the right call

I thought that offer was for our pick 16. If not, I reckon we’ve made a blue, Saints were pretty disappointing and it’s not hard to see Carlton just sneaking past them. If not, I’d take 34 to drop one spot in the top 5. Especially seeing we’re looking like retiring 4 players this year on top of whatever early 20 year olds get cut. There’s always a couple.

I thought that offer was for our pick 16. If not, I reckon we’ve made a blue, Saints were pretty disappointing and it’s not hard to see Carlton just sneaking past them. If not, I’d take 34 to drop one spot in the top 5. Especially seeing we’re looking like retiring 4 players this year on top of whatever early 20 year olds get cut. There’s always a couple.
Pretty sure it was for #19 as they were all over it to select Riley Collier-Dawkins

They even mention that Carlton did the same deal as they offered then the other guys says we also had offered #34

He could have been the very next player of every one of those clubs and every player taken before their pick by other clubs may have been after him.

I remember asking a recruiter why the hell Grundy dropped so far in his draft year. He said something along those lines. he just happened to be the next player in line on many draft boards. Still a shame the Pies managed to secure him.

Pretty sure it was for #19 as they were all over it to select Riley Collier-Dawkins

They even mention that Carlton did the same deal as they offered then the other guys says we also had offered #34

Interesting call then, can’t see much between Saints and Carlton in 2019. Had this gone down the previous year, it would have been an obvious call. 34 a nice sweetener on any of 2-4, regardless of which you gave up to get it.

Not comparing them by Age, comparing them by Game's played, why are you guys comparing a player who has played 1 prior to the season starting against a player who played 17 games before the season started.

This isn’t a handicap race. The two players are being compared on what they’ve produced since being drafted because their relative draft positions in the same draft was the very basis of the comparison.

And again, no one is having a crack at Crows posters having confidence in their recruiters, but for anyone telling Carlton posters that they should have less confidence in theirs based on past drafting, here’s the reality check.

Still Cherry Picking, stats to suit your argument. And Fisher not exactly smashing him, again two different players playing in different positions,
One could say Gallucci is better at scoring goals but that would be wrong because he gets to spends the most time in the forward line while Fisher plays in the Middle. It was only the last couple of games Gallucci spent a bit of time in the Midfield rotation.

And we talk up our recruitment because Ogilvie has not missed with a first round selection. does that mean he get the absolute best player no, but it means he gets a top player who will play a lot of senior football games.

You can only go by recent history, and that’s the last season. If Gallucci was taken in 2017 I’d agree with you, but he’s in the same boat as Fisher - he’s just not as good at this point.

Adelaide’s recruiting scoreline is fine, if very safe. I was originally responding to an Adelaide poster who had a cheeky little dig at our recruiting Stocker on the basis our ‘past decade of recruiting’ had been poor, despite overlooking the obvious fact our list management team had changed after 2015. Then I picked out two clear misses, players who are clearly ahead and likely to also be better players at the end of the players’ respective careers.

Interesting to note Gallucci doesn’t even go at a goal a game despite supposedly playing a whole season forward? Another indicator he’s not all he’s cracking up to be.

This isn’t a handicap race. The two players are being compared on what they’ve produced since being drafted because their relative draft positions in the same draft was the very basis of the comparison.

And again, no one is having a crack at Crows posters having confidence in their recruiters, but for anyone telling Carlton posters that they should have less confidence in theirs based on past drafting, here’s the reality check.
You can only go by recent history, and that’s the last season. If Gallucci was taken in 2017 I’d agree with you, but he’s in the same boat as Fisher - he’s just not as good at this point.

Adelaide’s recruiting scoreline is fine, if very safe. I was originally responding to an Adelaide poster who had a cheeky little dig at our recruiting Stocker on the basis our ‘past decade of recruiting’ had been poor, despite overlooking the obvious fact our list management team had changed after 2015. Then I picked out two clear misses, players who are clearly ahead and likely to also be better players at the end of the players’ respective careers.

Interesting to note Gallucci doesn’t even go at a goal a game despite supposedly playing a whole season forward? Another indicator he’s not all he’s cracking up to be.

Guys if it helps you sleep at night go for it.
It still Cherry Picking stats to suit an argument. but believe what you want,

It still Cherry Picking stats to suit an argument. but believe what you want,

So a 2018 head to head full statistical comparison between two players of the same age, from the same draft, is cherry picking stats; while comparing only 2017 stats for one player when 19yo and 2018 stats for the other player when 20yo, is not cherry picking? Lol. You’re too much!

So a 2018 head to head full statistical comparison between two players of the same age, from the same draft, is cherry picking stats; while comparing only 2017 stats for one player when 19yo and 2018 stats for the other player when 20yo, is not cherry picking? Lol. You’re too much!

Would have been good if he did a head to head but he did not, he chose to compare a player first 17 games against a player who already had 17 games experience and in completely different positions.
And even then he got the stats wrong.
That's cherry picking stats to suit an argument, rather than horses for Courses.
But again if that makes you feel better for this year go for it.
But I am going to wait a year before I start comparing who the better player is as it normally takes around the 50 game mark generally give you a better picture,

These guys are now both third year players. First year -> Fisher better. Second year -> Fisher better.

Sorry, but I can’t change reality just because it bugs you.

Does not bug me as I have seen both play and when Gallucci gets his 50 games he will be the better player. and will be around for longer.
You will start to see that end of this year. As Gallucci will be spending more time in the middle, making the comparison more realistic.
Last year he trained with and played forward this year he training with the midfield group.

And do we factor in that Gallucci was unable to get more than 1 game in a team that won the McClelland, unlike Fisher who did not have that much competition?
It Funny I had the same argument with a Carlton Supporter last year about Doedee, my argument back then was wait until all the players have played 50 games before you look at them. and I still stand by that wait until 50 games.
And I would say the same about H McKay he has played 50 games before comparing or Judging him against anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back