NFL 2018 NFL - Week 3

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what the NFL wants. just turn it into a practice session where the QB gets touched its blown dead.

Mike Daniels let go because he didnt want a flag on this play

Playing to the whistle is commendable but when they can't hear the whistle? Flag I guess.

Mike Pereira, Dean Blandino disagree with NFL on what roughing is
Posted by Charean Williams on September 17, 2018, 7:06 PM EDT
pft233-e1537213276843.jpg

AP

The NFL’s former officiating chiefs don’t agree with the direction the league is headed with its new definition of roughing the passer. A league source confirmed that Clay Matthews hit on Kirk Cousins late in Sunday’s Green Bay-Minnesota game was correctly called.

In fact, the league’s current head of officiating, Al Riveron, will share that hit and one by Eric Kendricks on Aaron Rodgers to reiterate that the tactic is a foul.

Dean Blandino and Mike Pereira, both of whom have walked in Riveron’s shoes and now work as FOX rules analysts, strongly disagree.

Those are not fouls. We don’t like those as fouls,” Blandino said on their weekly show, Last Call, via Kevin Seifert of ESPN.

Pereira said he is troubled that the league is “creating penalties for contact and tackles . . . that don’t put the quarterback at risk of injury.”

“I think we’re setting a dangerous precedent,” Pereira continued. “You can’t have [Matthews’ hit] as a foul. There’s got to be a line drawn closer to a more violent hit.”

The league believes Matthews used the technique of grabbing the passer from behind the leg or legs, scooping and pulling in an upward motion, which it deems a foul. Matthews strongly disagreed with the call in postgame interviews, wondering how he was supposed to hit the quarterback.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy defended Matthews on Monday, saying the linebacker was doing what “he was coached to do.”

Blandino and Pereira made it clear they agree and wonder what is expected from pass rushers.

“You look at the rule, and it says you can’t commit intimidating or punishing acts. You can’t violently or unnecessarily drive him to the ground or land on him with all or most of your body weight,” Blandino said. “That’s not what you’re seeing in at least two calls in that game. What do you want the defender to do? To me, it looks like he’s wrapping, and he’s trying to bring the quarterback to the ground. There is going to be some force. There is going to be some impetus that takes both players to the ground. Again, what do you want the defender to do in that situation?”
I find it very amusing that the Packers are whinging about a rule that they pushed for after Rodgers got injured by Barr last year. The whole reason these calls are being is because the Packers wanted the rule....

In saying that tho.....it's still damnable that the NFL reacts to every little thing that happens and creates a new rule for it. They should've told the Packers to get lost instead of tabling it for a rule vote.

============

Joe Thomas on those who believe Clay Matthews’ hit was a foul: “Please come forward and explain yourself”
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on September 19, 2018, 12:32 AM EDT

ap_182597622918531-e1537329740362.jpg

AP

The NFL has vigorously defended the roughing the passer call against Clay Matthews for a hit on Kirk Cousins in Sunday’s game between the Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers.

Just about everyone not in the NFL league offices in New York has vigorously disagreed with the notion that Matthews hit on Cousins should be a penalty. Former Cleveland Browns All-Pro left tackle Joe Thomas is the latest to disagree with the ruling and the explanation from the NFL as to why it was a penalty.

Thomas would continue in saying “please come forward and explain yourself” regarding the notion that what Matthews did was against the rules.

The NFL is saying that Matthews picked up Cousins and drove him into the turf. In most instances on a football field, that’s called a tackle. However, the desire to keep quarterbacks healthy has led to Matthews’ dropping of Cousins to be viewed as too egregious.

Two former heads of NFL officiating and a former league MVP quarterback in Brett Favre are among the voices to disagree with the NFL’s ruling. Even Cousins said the flag was “probably a generous call.”

Nevertheless, the NFL says the move is a penalty and is using the play – and a similar hit by Eric Kendricks of the Vikings earlier in the game — as instructional tape distributed to teams this week.

That doesn’t mean Thomas or anyone else not in the league headquarters is going to like it or agree with it. And to answer Thomas’ question, that’s where the people who believe the play was a penalty are located.

Browns, Cardinals the betting favorites to land Antonio Brown, if he’s traded
Posted by Mike Florio on September 18, 2018, 4:57 PM EDT

gettyimages-10233284081-e1537304174650.jpg

Getty Images

The best thing about gambling is that you can gamble on pretty much anything. Case in point: Odds have been crafted for receiver Antonio Brown‘s team upon the passing of the trade deadline.

Via Bookmaker.eu, the Steelers remain the overwhelming favorite, at -2000. But if Brown were to be traded, the top two destinations are the Browns and Cardinals, at +1000 each.

Others are the Eagles and Titans (+1600 each), the Colts and Raiders (+2000 each), the 49ers (+2800). The field rates a +1200.

The biggest impediment to trading Brown would be the cap consequences. While a trade wouldn’t change the $7.955 million allocation that applies in 2018 for his signing bonus, a trade would trigger a 2019 cap charge of $21.12 million.

Also, Brown’s agent has denied that Brown wants to be traded. While that doesn’t stop the Steelers from deciding they’ve had enough, there’s currently no reason to think that the Steelers would take the cap charge in exchange for the ability to flip a potentially disgruntled player for picks.

It wouldn’t be the NFL if there wasn’t a rule that no one really understood. They finally clear up the catch rule and simultaneously create new confusion with the tackling the QB rule. It’s just a way to keep the NFL on the front page and top of Twitter trends

BTW - erik Kendrick’s was called for an equally egregious foul earlier in the game that extended a Packers drive that ended in a TD, so one all I say....

It wouldn’t be the NFL if there wasn’t a rule that no one really understood. They finally clear up the catch rule and simultaneously create new confusion with the tackling the QB rule. It’s just a way to keep the NFL on the front page and top of Twitter trends
It'll probably be the focus of next off-season....owners meeting to tidy up the roughing the passer rules.

As ProFootballTalk noted....a left-field suggestion....make the QB as protected as Punters and Kickers. Cannot be touched at all if in the pocket and have released the ball. Running into the passer and Roughing the Passer, 5 and 15 yard penalties depending on severity.

Yeah, no. But I expect next year the league will look at it all.

It'll probably be the focus of next off-season....owners meeting to tidy up the roughing the passer rules.

As ProFootballTalk noted....a left-field suggestion....make the QB as protected as Punters and Kickers. Cannot be touched at all if in the pocket and have released the ball. Running into the passer and Roughing the Passer, 5 and 15 yard penalties depending on severity.

Yeah, no. But I expect next year the league will look at it all.
The crazy thing is that Rodgers was outside the pocket last season when Barr hit him so any talk about protecting players in the pocket is a mute point. Edge rushers are so fast now there’s no way they could ever pull up. We are literally talking about tackles that happen inside of 2 seconds of the ball being snapped

I find it very amusing that the Packers are whinging about a rule that they pushed for after Rodgers got injured by Barr last year. The whole reason these calls are being is because the Packers wanted the rule....
It's not the body weight/ Rodgers rule that he was flagged for. It was a different one where it's for lifting the qb and driving them that has been around for a long time but never called this tight.

BTW - erik Kendrick’s was called for an equally egregious foul earlier in the game that extended a Packers drive that ended in a TD, so one all I say....
On the play Kendricks was called that extended a drive the Viked were also offside.

I can’t believe how quickly things have turned on AB
Imagine what it would of been like for TO if social media was a thing when he was playing.
Its easy to tolerate them acting like "divas" and s**t when you are winning.

It looks like Beckham has grown up a bit, because he was heading down the same path.

Steelers should trade Brown while they can still get something for him, Bell is going to walk because they refused to pay him the last 2 years, and Ben is old now.

Browns can build around JuJu and co.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not the body weight/ Rodgers rule that he was flagged for. It was a different one where it's for lifting the qb and driving them that has been around for a long time but never called this tight.
I'm not arguing but pointing out that body physics makes this difficult not to do. If the qb is on his toes ready to throw and stretching to look over the line/field then any tackle is going to lift them. This then has the flow on effect of driving them into the ground.

As in AFL the question comes back to separate motions. I guess in this age of concussion protocol any drive that causes the head to snap can be flagged. Many times the qb is driven onto his arse or back and suffers nothing but wounded pride.

Week 3 Announcer assignments.

Thursday, September 20
8:20 PM- New York Jets at Cleveland Browns (NFL) Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Erin Andrews, Kristina Pink

Sunday, September 23
1 PM- Buffalo Bills at Minnesota Vikings (CBS) Jim Nantz, Tony Romo, Tracy Wolfson

1 PM- Oakland Raiders at Miami Dolphins (CBS) Greg Gumbel, Trent Green, Bruce Arians, Melanie Collins

1 PM- Cincinnati Bengals at Carolina Panthers (CBS) Kevin Harlan, Rich Gannon, Steve Tasker

1 PM- Tennessee Titans at Jacksonville Jaguars (CBS) Spero Dedes, Adam Archuleta

1 PM- Denver Broncos at Baltimore Ravens (CBS) Andrew Catalon, James Lofton

1 PM- Green Bay Packers at Washington Redskins (FOX) Kevin Burkhardt, Charles Davis, Pam Oliver

1 PM- San Francisco 49ers at Kansas City Chiefs (FOX) Thom Brennaman, Chris Spielman, Peter Schrager

1 PM- New York Giants at Houston Texans (FOX) Kenny Albert, Ronde Barber, Megan Olivi

1 PM- New Orleans Saints at Atlanta Falcons (FOX) Sam Rosen, Cris Carter, Sara Walsh

1 PM- Indianapolis Colts at Philadelphia Eagles (FOX) Chris Myers, Daryl Johnston, Laura Okmin

4:05 PM- Los Angeles Chargers at Los Angeles Rams (CBS) Ian Eagle, Dan Fouts, Evan Washburn

4:25 PM- Dallas Cowboys at Seattle Seahawks (FOX) Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Erin Andrews

4:25 PM- Chicago Bears at Arizona Cardinals (FOX) Dick Stockton, Mark Schlereth, Jennifer Hale

8:20 PM- New England Patriots at Detroit Lions (NBC) Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth, Michele Tafoya

Monday, September 24
8:15 PM- Pittsburgh Steelers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (ESPN) Joe Tessitore, Jason Witten, Booger McFarland, Lisa Salters

Let them try and have their stupid narrative. Must not have seen how Rodgers got the s**t beat out of him all day for not many flags funnily enough.

I know it's been suggested but rules are so much easier for everyone when they are black/white (no kneeling) - maybe QBs should be adjudicated in the same mold as punters/kickers.

If they are going to keep introducing more stupid ways for quarterbacks to be protected then they might as well ban them from running beyond the LOS to even it up.
Have a platform box they can stand on and if they get off they can be knocked over or tackled ;)

I have a feeling the Jets-Browns game gets decided by field goals, whether that is missed field goals, or one at the end.
I expect the Packers to spank the Redskins. I know we beat them a couple of years back, but that feels like a mistake.
I'm feeling the Chiefs offense comes back to earth this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back