2018 Trade and FA thread (opposition supporters post in Trade Hypotheticals thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez; slap in the face only being offered one year given his output.

The justification was to have him on edge fighting for his next contract instead of getting too comfortable.

I like it. Pull the right levers to get the best from your list.

Gotta disagree. Mitch does not strike me as one that will change due to percieved pressures. Give him 3 years, so he feels "ownership", and appreciation, and you will have a staunch clubman for life.

Last edited:
In regards to who?

Paywall and pertinent part of the article is missing...

Sorry, keep forgetting about paywalls......all that relates to us below

Meanwhile, Brisbane’s quick fix era is over, with the Lions happy to again go back to the draft rather than launch more recruiting raids this year.

Lions chief executive Greg Swann says Brisbane has no plans to trade early picks, adamant the club’s list build is on track.

Mitch Robinson will be handed a new contract after continued excellent form, with Allen Christensen also saving his career.

Brisbane paid a considerable sum for Adelaide’s Charlie Cameron last year, and in past seasons has topped up with senior players with mixed levels of success.

f5e6feec3dad6d6066015349be817baa

Allen Christensen has earned another contact.
But emboldened by its play this year, it will continue to stockpile talent with picks that currently stand at No. 2, 20 and 38.

“At this stage we are going back to the draft. We want to keep adding to the list and just keep bringing them through, so that’s what we will be doing,” Swann said.

All of the Lions’ elite youngsters are locked away — Eric Hipwood, Jarrod Berry and Alex Witherden until 2020 and Harris Andrews, Hugh McCluggage and Cam Rayner until 2002.

Christensen had played only 11 games in the past two years because of continuing shoulder injuries that at one stage looked likely to curtail his promising career.

He has played every game this year and, barring serious injury, the 27-year-old will secure another deal.

Robinson continues to be a combustible but effective midfielder, with his only absence this year due to suspension for hitting St Kilda’s Seb Ross.

He turns 29 next week and while he would like a two-season contract there is a feeling offering him one-year deals keeps him on edge.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...tory/2771634018a2b28e01cbaa1b8a8c53f2?login=1

Based on the clear selection policy and the Swann article, I’d suggest the experienced OOC players not playing or mentioned may have internally been deemed surplus to requirements. Maybe 1 will be rookie listed.

Gotta disagree. Mitch does not strike me as one that will change due to percieved pressures. Give him 3 years, so he feels "ownership", and appreciation, and you will have a staunch clubman for life.

We fans form pretty strong narratives about players that are hard to shake. It doesn’t necessarily reflect 100 percent everything that happens within the walls of the club.

We fans form pretty strong narratives about players that are hard to shake. It doesn’t necessarily reflect 100 percent everything that happens within the walls of the club.

The old I know what happens in the club n you mob don't card again? I stated my opinion on Robbo. Have one of your own, not just "I am in the know".

The old I know what happens in the club n you mob don't card again? I stated my opinion on Robbo. Have one of your own, not just "I am in the know".

Lol what

The old I know what happens in the club n you mob don't card again?

Uh, where the flip did you pull that from? Bizarre.

I directly posited myself in the "we" i.e. fans looking in from the outside. I don't have any inside line on Robbo and there is nothing in my post that even remotely suggests otherwise. The only implied commentary in my post is that it's a fair assumption that people inside the football department have a greater depth of information and insight at their disposal than us when making decisions.

In relation to Robbo, us fans have built up a narrative that Robbo is a 100 percent committed team man that leaves nothing on the table. It's an easy thing to believe based on what we see as fans on the field. But the internal view on his value and what incentives are required to extract the best from him may not 100 percent line up with the perception we have of him, I trust the people making the decisions to make the required calls. I mean, do we really think they are just throwing darts at a board and Robbo's contract dart landed on the "* it, let's just give him one year to shake things up just because..." zone?

As another case study, we still see people who think Rockliff was the chosen one and that the club discarded a high quality player just for shits and giggles.

It's easy to just keep throwing cash and extra years at everyone. If that's all there was to list management, it would be the cruisiest gig going. Worked for Gubby for a while until we had a salary cap bursting at the seams overpaying the Shermans, Roes, Stillers and Corries of the world.

We have some genuine heavy hitters at the plate now and their methods will sometimes look brutal compared to some of the mediocre administrators we have had in the past. They have a clear picture and blueprint that they are working towards, and make their decisions based on greater info than we have access to. Tough for fans, but so is losing all the time.

Last edited:
Will next yrs draft picks be our currency in this years trade period? I dont think we will want to give away any draft picks for this year. So could we see say, paparone n next yr 2nd round for a player as an example? Who else would fit into that type of scenario? Could we see next yrs draft picks traded to bolster this years draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will next yrs draft picks be our currency in this years trade period? I dont think we will want to give away any draft picks for this year. So could we see say, paparone n next yr 2nd round for a player as an example? Who else would fit into that type of scenario? Could we see next yrs draft picks traded to bolster this years draft?
Going to be really interesting to see this sort of thing. It'll really depend on how different clubs rate this draft compared to next draft. If every club thinks it's an awesome draft, you'll have to pay a premium to get one of their picks.

Might try trading players, but I can't see someone like Paparone having any currency. Hasn't cemented himself in the wooden spooners' best 22, and has been out injured for a while as well.

It's interesting when you look at the NBA, which the AFL try to mimic a bit, because players like that often get traded out with a pick for practically nothing. The theory is that it gives lower teams an expense for a year, and compensates them with a pick. The player's contract having negative value. I think that's where the AFL is heading in the next couple of years.

What kind of player would you expect to get for paps and a 2nd rounder? Fringe player at best. Im pretty sure, based off that article that we will be pretty happy to keep going to the draft unless a genuine talent like Cameron is an option.

Would be better off keeping Paparone, than trying to trade him for anything.

Uh, where the flip did you pull that from? Bizarre.

I directly posited myself in the "we" i.e. fans looking in from the outside. I don't have any inside line on Robbo and there is nothing in my post that even remotely suggests otherwise. The only implied commentary in my post is that it's a fair assumption that people inside the football department have a greater depth of information and insight at their disposal than us when making decisions.

In relation to Robbo, us fans have built up a narrative that Robbo is a 100 percent committed team man that leaves nothing on the table. It's an easy thing to believe based on what we see as fans on the field. But the internal view on his value and what incentives are required to extract the best from him may not 100 percent line up with the perception we have of him, I trust the people making the decisions to make the required calls. I mean, do we really think they are just throwing darts at a board and Robbo's contract dart landed on the "**** it, let's just give him one year to shake things up just because..." zone?

As another case study, we still see people who think Rockliff was the chosen one and that the club discarded a high quality player just for shits and giggles.

It's easy to just keep throwing cash and extra years at everyone. If that's all there was to list management, it would be the cruisiest gig going. Worked for Gubby for a while until we had a salary cap bursting at the seams overpaying the Shermans, Roes, Stillers and Corries of the world.

We have some genuine heavy hitters at the plate now and their methods will sometimes look brutal compared to some of the mediocre administrators we have had in the past. They have a clear picture and blueprint that they are working towards, and make their decisions based on greater info than we have access to. Tough for fans, but so is losing all the time.

Last time I post whilst pissed n pissed off with work. Childish

Josh Thomas is an unrestricted free agent, with Pies looking at throwing their money at Lynch reckon we could get him easily at a decent price

Josh Thomas or Jamie Elliott. there was an article about Elliott being on the outer too.

happy to pay for goal kicking half forwards.. no better pressure than the one on the scoreboard. Adelaide is a great example.

Josh Thomas or Jamie Elliott. there was an article about Elliott being on the outer too.

happy to pay for goal kicking half forwards.. no better pressure than the one on the scoreboard. Adelaide is a great example.
I would rate Jamie Elliott way in front of Josh Thomas, as long as his injury concerns can be sorted out I'd be for a crack at him, he's also in the right age bracket.

I would rate Jamie Elliott way in front of Josh Thomas, as long as his injury concerns can be sorted out I'd be for a crack at him, he's also in the right age bracket.
I know we have been over the Josh Thomas thing countless times, but he is playing some good consistent footy this year and I would not be adverse to having a crack. Especially if he costs us nothing at the trade table other than money.
I agree Elliot would be a great get but not completely sure about his personality. He seems like a sour little bugger. Can barely crack a smile even when kicking goals.

I think some people have mentioned having a go at Tom McDonald. We're no chance, if Melbourne can't afford it he'll be competing with Tom Lynch for a huge contract at other Melbourne clubs. He genuinely looks that good when he's fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back