2019 3rd Ashes Test 22-27 August Headingley

Who will win the 3rd test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldnt be surprised if Paine calls it quits at the end of the Australian summer.
Suspect he has a deal with cricket Australia to retire from international and domestic cricket at the last test in Australia. His form isn’t great with the bat but cricket Australia owe him that.

Would have been more comfortable if we didn’t lose those 2 wickets before the end of play.

History shows a 4th innings lead of 300+ is very difficult to chase, but the one thing that concerns me is that it will only be a day 3 pitch when England get on it which is generally the best day for batting, and they will have plenty of time. No way will they be as bad as their 1st innings. They are still a chance.

Really need to bat half way into the day and get another 100+ runs if we can.

A lead of 283 is nice, but we have more to do. I'd like to see a lead of at least 350, very gettable with Labuschagne and Pattinson still at the crease and Cummins yet to bat. Pity we weren't still only 4 wickets down. This Test isn't over.
Of course it's not over, and the Aussies know they still have plenty of work to do. But if we can knock Stokes, Burns and Root over cheaply, the Poms don't have too many other batting weapons. When we dismissed Stokes quickly last night, one sensed it was a dagger through the heart of the England dressing room.

At the start of our second dig, I would absolutely taken a 300 run lead if offered. I reckon even 250 will be tough to chase.

From this season's county matches played at Headingly, these have been some of 4th innings totals:

• 243 ALL OUT (79.0 OVERS)
  • 251 ALL OUT (82.5 OVERS)
  • 194 ALL OUT (81.2 OVERS)
  • 107-1 (42.5 OVERS)
  • 211 ALL OUT (88.5 OVERS)
There was also a small chase of 30 runs and a couple of draws as well (didn't check if due to weather or flat decks though).

Anyway even if we collapse tonight without adding a single run, a lead of 280 odd is more than defendable with our fresh pace attack.

source.gif

It's hilarious how Paine is just consistently held to higher standard in here than most of our batsman...

Davey, Usman, Harris have all been bad. Head and Wade not a huge amount better but Paine, our keeper is the one that cops the most heat.

No one thinks he is a superstar keeper for the next 5 years, but we have no one better and he should receive a hell of a lot more praise for the roles he has played since coming back in to this team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one thinks he is a superstar keeper for the next 5 years, but we have no one better and he should receive a hell of a lot more praise for the roles he has played since coming back in to this team.
In fact, nobody even near the same class as a keeper.

Davey, Usman, Harris have all been bad. Head and Wade not a huge amount better but Paine, our keeper is the one that cops the most heat.

Yes, the logic of thinking that you can fix a defective top 6 by replacing the no.7/keeper is simply idiotic.

I doubt we'll ever see Pucovski. He obviously has a severe mental illness. There is something deeply wrong if he can't even handle being on a cricket field at 19.
Seems way over the top, he is a young kid that is having some troubles dealing with the pressure of being a professional athlete. No reason he can't work through that, especially when he is still batting well for the most part even with these issues.

Yep. Wade was in danger but he probably did just enough to keep his spot. I'd rather Harris out and Khawaja opening, but I doubt they'd drop Harris after just one test.

Why not? Harris didn't perform so last in, first out. It's not an AFL side that has missed the finals and playing out dead rubbers. Pick the best side.

It's hilarious how Paine is just consistently held to higher standard in here than most of our batsman...

You probably won't around when Pete Nevil was copping it from the Victorian posters on this site.

Back