2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Cannot see Young being there at 8, Ash probably gone as well, Serong could slide enough for pick 8 but Jackson? Are we that sure he is the next Messiah?
I think it’s the fact he’s only just taken up footy full time and the rapid progression he showed through the year as a result.

We’re not the only club fapping over him. He’ll be playing with us, Sydney, Adelaide or GWS next year despite what some would call more conventional players still on the board.

I guess you have to have some faith in the club to take the risk. We all sat here the other week am lamented Taylor taking the more typical KPF in Weid instead of an undersized Charlie Curnow.

I think it’s the fact he’s only just taken up footy full time and the rapid progression he showed through the year as a result.

We’re not the only club fapping over him. He’ll be playing with us, Sydney, Adelaide or GWS next year despite what some would call more conventional players still on the board.

I guess you have to have some faith in the club to take the risk. We all sat here the other week am lamented Taylor taking the more typical KPF in Weid instead of an undersized Charlie Curnow.
I'm still not totally convinced on Curnow, but at the time I really wanted us to go for him instead of Weid. Some kids just look like they will have an impact at AFL level and Curnow just looked the type even though Weid had better attributes physically. This is why I'm big on Kemp this year. He just looks like he belongs. Same with Robertson from WA. Would be happy with either of these two on our list..

We should be bidding on Green at 3. GWS will match the bid anyway.

My concerns with Jackson at 3 are multifaceted. Is he going to be a ruck/fwd or fwd/ruck? The talk is he is a ruck & at 198/199cms that is slightly undersized. It’s not the end of the world but in this day most rucks are getting bigger rather than sub 200cms.

I also worry that he is West Australian & if he is any good, both WA clubs throw the kitchen sink at him & he goes home. I don’t have great faith that if he is ‘elite’ talent we can retain him.

Thirdly, history says you don’t get rucks this early in the draft. If he was being talked up as a fwd/ruck there wouldn’t be as much conjecture about taking a predominately KPF at 3.

For me, you take the best player at 3 (probably Young) & then see if Jackson gets through to 8.

Personally, I think any two of Green, Young, Flanders, Ash, Jackson, Serong or Kemp are all list needs so really we could do with any of them.

What are people basing this conjecture that we’re likely to take Jackson at 3 on though really? One article on the AFL website with no sources named and no specific reference to an unnamed MFC source? A quote in a WA newspaper by Peter Sumich saying the Demons should take him? Matthew Lloyd declaring we should take Young and Jackson on 3AW radio? In reality, all of note that’s happened is Jason Taylor has mentioned Jackson’s name among a host of other kids our recruiters have been monitoring. There’s been no other meat on the bone beyond that.

Personally, I can’t see us taking a 199cm ruck prospect with interstate go home factor at pick 3 in a national draft when there are some incredibly talented lads to choose from in the 3-8 range. Lads who can move quickly and smoothly, kick and handball accurately and make good decisions under pressure. Natural footballers with big upsides who can make immediate impacts at senior level.

A 199cm key forward prospect maybe, but not a ruckman at 3. No way. Pick 8 possibly at a stretch ... pick 3 no.

If our FD is leaking interest in Jackson at pick 3 to certain journos, I really do hope it’s a smokescreen type tactic aimed to keep GWS guessing and sweating as to our true intentions on draft day. My gut feeling is a pick swap with them or another club is still high on our agenda at this stage.

Last edited:

I am probably resigned to the fact we will take him. I have no idea really what ability lies between them all apart from what I have read so rely on a mix of comments from those that know more. It just keeps coming back from years ago when I heard several times that ruckmen are not taken in the top 10. If we get him we get him, but I will be a bit happier if we do call out Greens name first, at least look like we are trying.

We’re going to draft Jackson at 3 and he’s going to win the Rising star, Coleman, Brownlow, Norm Smith (in a losing side) and get selected as the AA ruck. The sooner you all accept that, the better.

This is interesting 🤔

Playing in the Bailey era wasn't the best but Neeld was the real career killer. A lot of those players from that period are still under 30. To think Neville Jetta almost didn't survive.
It's why we have that generational gap in our list. Might have done better in 2016-2018 if at least one or two of Morton, Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Tapscott, Strauss, Maric, Blease, Petterd, Frawley, etc (2006-2009 drafts) had still been around and just been like semi-decent 100-150 gamers. Not even stars, just experienced bodies. But we somehow managed to wipe out literally all of them except Gawn and Jetta (by the skin of their teeth), who ironically are both AA quality. Did the others just not have even similar talent? Very possibly, but also they weren't as 'lucky'.

It's why we have that generational gap in our list. Might have done better in 2016-2018 if at least one or two of Morton, Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Tapscott, Strauss, Maric, Blease, Petterd, Frawley, etc (2006-2009 drafts) had still been around and just been like semi-decent 100-150 gamers. Not even stars, just experienced bodies. But we somehow managed to wipe out literally all of them except Gawn and Jetta (by the skin of their teeth), who ironically are both AA quality. Did the others just not have even similar talent? Very possibly, but also they weren't as 'lucky'.
Was thinking the same thing, probably could add Howe to that list his development tracked fine so wasn't all doom and gloom. Trengove is probably the most tragic he was so talented. Weird to think we also had Grimes as co-captain. Most those players seem to show something early on. Scully was always going to go probably best decision of his career and not just for the money. Anyway it is what it is, it's why we need to hold onto our current young group and really start recruiting more through the draft.

Was thinking the same thing, probably could add Howe to that list his development tracked fine so wasn't all doom and gloom. Trengove is probably the most tragic he was so talented. Weird to think we also had Grimes as co-captain. Most those players seem to show something early on. Scully was always going to go probably best decision of his career and not just for the money. Anyway it is what it is, it's why we need to hold onto our current young group and really start recruiting more through the draft.
Mmm. We are still several years off having a good group of 'senior' players as the only real age clustering we have is those who turned 18 2013 to 2015 (Salem, Harmes, Hunt, Petracca, Brayshaw, ANB, OMac, Lever, Fritsch, Oliver, Weideman, Hore, Langdon). 2022-2024 is when they should really be peaking hopefully under a fit Viney and Gawn leadership and dragging Petty, Spargo, Sparrow, Jackson, etc to a flag. But it would be a miracle if we finish top 4 again in the next two years. Took the Tigers until 10 years after they recruited Cotchin/Rance to do it.

I'm not following this years draft class closely, but please Dees
Pick Up Sam Flanders.

He Ha's a bit of swagger about himself says he "Can change a game off my own boot"
HS experts have analysed his game and think he plays like Petrecca (at least at U18's level/Carnival)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They need 1787 points to match a bid at 3. Technically they could trade 6 for 10 and 22 from Fremantle worth 2240 points and get Green + 453 points which equals 39 points. This would actually be better for them since pick 6 is only worth 1750. Similarly they could trade 6 for 14 and 17 from Geelong or 15 and 20 from GC, all of which are worth more points than pick 6.
I still can't make any sense of the points system at the draft. I think I had a stroke the first time I read it, which then prevented me from understanding it on any subsequent attempts.

Mmm. We are still several years off having a good group of 'senior' players as the only real age clustering we have is those who turned 18 2013 to 2015 (Salem, Harmes, Hunt, Petracca, Brayshaw, ANB, OMac, Lever, Fritsch, Oliver, Weideman, Hore, Langdon). 2022-2024 is when they should really be peaking hopefully under a fit Viney and Gawn leadership and dragging Petty, Spargo, Sparrow, Jackson, etc to a flag. But it would be a miracle if we finish top 4 again in the next two years. Took the Tigers until 10 years after they recruited Cotchin/Rance to do it.
Richmonds climb began in 2012 where they just missed finals, then they made it 13, 14, 15 but without winning a final then had a really poor year in 16. A lot of their premiership players were picked up in those years. I know we are a different team to Richmond we don't have any a core group of stars surrounded by role players but I think equivalent wise I think 2020 is our equivalent of their 2014 so yeay 2022-24 sounds like a good estimation.

Pick Up Sam Flanders.

He Ha's a bit of swagger about himself says he "Can change a game off my own boot"
HS experts have analysed his game and think he plays like Petrecca (at least at U18's level/Carnival)

Flanders is a contested ball beast and is extremely competitive.

Unfortunately he’s also a ball butcher and I just can’t see us brining in a contested mid who has poor disposal by foot.

The only inside mid we should be looking at is Tom Greene, but GWS will match any bid.

I still can't make any sense of the points system at the draft. I think I had a stroke the first time I read it, which then prevented me from understanding it on any subsequent attempts.
That’s how they get you

Pick Up Sam Flanders.

Not sure being compared to Petracca thrills me all that much. Five years after being drafted at pick 2 we’re still waiting for CP5 to change a game off his own boot.

Would rather someone who is likened to the Bont or Charlie Cameron.

Pick Up Sam Flanders.

Why would we need someone who turns the ball over? Not like we don't have about 15 of them already....

Not sure being compared to Petracca thrills me all that much. Five years after being drafted at pick 2 we’re still waiting for CP5 to change a game off his own boot.

Would rather someone who is likened to the Bont or Charlie Cameron.

Love these "plays like" things. People take them so literally.

Its says plays like Petracca not IS Petracca.

I played footy with a guy who was likened to Joe Daniher in the media. Not sure why he never made it out of state league footy if he was like Joe Daniher.

Can't wait to watch Jackson and Bradtke in Casey's forward 50 for the next 2-3 years whilst Preuss is getting 60 taps a game. Exciting stuff.
I can’t wait to see Gawn and TMac at Casey while Jackson is winning the Coleman as the AA ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

Back