2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick Liam Henry at 3. Kysaiah Pickett at 8, a random Rioli from the top end at 97 and H.Benell in the PSD. Chuck ‘em all in the forward 50 and watch the G light up.

Our list does lack excitement factor I agree.
Would 100% be on board if we did this. Henry, Pickett and a random Rioli running around the F50 alongside Benell. I'd go every week to watch us if that was the case. Instead we'll go with a totally unproven and ruck/forward development type player, and probably an uninspiring small forward who will be about as useful as Spargo. Never change Melbourne!

The HS article seems to allude GWS rating Jackson higher than Green. If they won’t match our bid. Surely we take who we rate higher. Don’t play chicken with Giants.
A number of clubs have said that they would take Jackson at 3.

A number of clubs have said that they would take Jackson at 3.
Do we need a ruck though? Most in the know have also said you can throw a blanket over picks 3-10 and the difference in quality would be very minimal. So wouldn't it make more sense to then pick 2 kids who fill a need for us? Young and Serong(Pickett/Weightman) would fill needs for us and be picks that would hardly be a stretch. There is just so much risk involved with this Jackson kid. I can see NicNat retiring and this kid getting homesick. We all know it's going to happen and we aren't a strong enough club to go up against WCE. Typical we have a sh*t year and the pick we have has no standout. # 2 would have been perfect for us. It's just so typically MFC for this type of thing to happen!

I've got nothing against Jackson but I'm just flummoxed that our biggest need - good kicking - is easily filled by the bloke who is deserving to be #3 this year and who could do so immediately. Instead we'd rather take a risk on a guy who may be great in 4 years time but is playing in a role we don't need cover for.

MFC isn’t in a position to take a huge gamble on a project player like Jackson. Stuff up our picks this year and we’re actually in pretty deep s**t when it comes to list profile over the next 4-5 years. If we draft poorly and don’t get massive improvement from the current list then we’ll be back at 2012-2013 level very quickly.

I am going to be so relieved when on draft night the dees bid for Tom Green at pick 3, and GWS match the bid and then we pick Hayden Young with pick 4 and we have a beautiful kick on the half back line to set up our play and everyone can go on with living their lives with calm rational minds. It’s gonna be so great, I won’t even care who we draft at 8!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How come Young is a 100% rolled gold certainty yet other players aren't? Because he hit targets at U18 level?

What's his contested possession rate? Because it's been proven blokes with an average contested disposal rate at U18 level can't stand the kitchen as the grow up.

I wanted Aaron Francis at #4 because he looked like a Goddard clone at junior level, beautiful kick of the footy but can't bring any of it to the top level

How come Young is a 100% rolled gold certainty yet other players aren't? Because he hit targets at U18 level?

What's his contested possession rate? Because it's been proven blokes with an average contested disposal rate at U18 level can't stand the kitchen as the grow up.

I wanted Aaron Francis at #4 because he looked like a Goddard clone at junior level, beautiful kick of the footy but can't bring any of it to the top level

Exactly. No good recruiter drafts for needs at 3 either. Yes our team needs pace and good disposal but at pick 3 just get the player you think is going to have the best chance of being a star!

I’m not saying that’s not Young but to say we have to draft him because he is a good kick is ridiculous. And if we were drafting for needs we wouldn’t be looking at pick 3 to strengthen our backline after the investment we’ve already made in doing that.

I’ve warmed to this Jackson bloke. The whole situation is so weird that I’ve decided it can only be explained by his being a freak talent and worth the gamble. Also Oliver was a bit of a late bolter and he’s my favourite person ever.

MFC isn’t in a position to take a huge gamble on a project player like Jackson. Stuff up our picks this year and we’re actually in pretty deep s**t when it comes to list profile over the next 4-5 years. If we draft poorly and don’t get massive improvement from the current list then we’ll be back at 2012-2013 level very quickly.
He's not a project player he will play senior football next year for any club that picks him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back