2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Green and Kemp would be an absolute dream result but.. This is the MFC so it will most likely be Jackson (without a green bid) and Ash or trade out the pick for a later first and crappy 2nd, and we'll once again be left to question our decisions.

Really don't get the praise for JT, apart from Oliver he hasn't really hit a home run with our drafting.

On TRT-LX2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope we don't now end up with Jackson at 3 and Ash at 8. Only seen small clips of highlights, but pretty much all of Ash's highlights video was of him turning the ball over. Sure he ran fast first, but we might as well have just paid the extra money to keep Frost as Ash just seems like a smaller version of the Frostman.
I tend to agree. Hate to bash a kid who will probably end up being a good player, but if they are his highlights then I don't want to see the other vision. The 'backs himself in' commentary is always fraught with danger. It's easy to back yourself in against other 18 yr olds. I recall another promising player with speed and confidence - Sam Blease. A bloke who sprints 15m then blindly bombs it 50m is the last thing we need, especially if he can't defend (not sure if he can or can't but assuming he's an attacking HBF). So I guess what I'm saying is....welcome to the club Mr Ash!

If we dont bid on Green then it means some sort of 'arrangement' has been reached with the MFC and either the giants or the AFL. Otherwise it is absolutely ludicrous that we would pass up Tom Green. This is the club that offered a job to Phil Scully just to get his son over the line. * them, bid on Green or Mahoney and Jason Taylor can walk.

Purely on principle we can’t let the side that came runner up in a GF take two top 5 picks.
Exactly this. Surely, surely we bid on Green at 3. I simply cannot believe that we would not bid on him. He's most people's pick 3 anyway in this draft. So why the hell would we not bid on him? Don't you pick best available that high in the draft? Imagine Green and Oliver together in the middle! GWS trading today with Adelaide suggests we are going to let the runners up from last year, take 2 Top 5 kids in this draft. Ridiculous from us. Even more ridiculous is we pick this WA ruckman. A ruck is the last thing on our list we need right now. We need pace and skill, attributes Young has. We'll see how it plays out, but I'll be disgusted if we don't bid on Green at the very least.

Like others have said. It’s surely unlikely that GWS trade with crows without prior knowledge we won’t bid on green. Also apparently Giants mad for Jackson. So perhaps we’ve also said we won’t take him allowing GWS Jackson and Green. We get Young at three.
Saying that, there is plenty of speculation from multiple sources we’re taking Jackson.

Like others have said. It’s surely unlikely that GWS trade with crows without prior knowledge we won’t bid on green. Also apparently Giants mad for Jackson. So perhaps we’ve also said we won’t take him allowing GWS Jackson and Green. We get Young at three.
Saying that, there is plenty of speculation from multiple sources we’re taking Jackson.
How would they know we aren't going to bid on Green? We haven't been a club that has leaked much since Roos took over. And why aren't we going to bid on Green? I don't get it? Green has been targeted as the 2nd or 3rd best player in this draft. So why the hell would we not bid on him? Yes, we don't particularly need another inside mid, but who would pass up a Cripps clone? Happy to trade Viney/Brayshaw if this kid ends up being anything close to Cripps standard. But surely GWS take him if we bid on him, which means they don't get a free crack at another Top end talent in the top 5. This is a team that has what seems like endless amounts of talent on their list and made the GF last year. We finished 17th! Why the hell would we 'help' them by not bidding on Green? If they don't match our bid then we get another gun mid and still have pick 8 to use on a top end talent like Kemp, Serong or Ash.

But like most have said, GWS would never make this trade if they weren't sure what we were doing with pick 3. It's all a bit fishy tbh..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given GWS would have spoken to Melbourne about it, surely there must be some inside goss from an in-the-know poster on what's going on here.

How would they know we aren't going to bid on Green? We haven't been a club that has leaked much since Roos took over. And why aren't we going to bid on Green? I don't get it? Green has been targeted as the 2nd or 3rd best player in this draft. So why the hell would we not bid on him? Yes, we don't particularly need another inside mid, but who would pass up a Cripps clone? Happy to trade Viney/Brayshaw if this kid ends up being anything close to Cripps standard. But surely GWS take him if we bid on him, which means they don't get a free crack at another Top end talent in the top 5. This is a team that has what seems like endless amounts of talent on their list and made the GF last year. We finished 17th! Why the hell would we 'help' them by not bidding on Green? If they don't match our bid then we get another gun mid and still have pick 8 to use on a top end talent like Kemp, Serong or Ash.

But like most have said, GWS would never make this trade if they weren't sure what we were doing with pick 3. It's all a bit fishy tbh..
I think you answered your own question. Would giants risk the trade only for us to bid on Green. We haven’t necessarily leaked maybe negotiated.Une they’ll do us a favour down the track. We seem to have a decent relationship with GWS.

Because if we bid they won't match.

GWS think they have called a Melbourne bluff so you guys should reveal you've been playing 42D chess all along.

Send 3 to Sydney for 5 and 25.

Sydney bid on Green, GWS pass and take Jackson, you guys take the player you always wanted in the first place in Young and get pick 25 for free.

GWS think they have called a Melbourne bluff so you guys should reveal you've been playing 42D chess all along.

Send 3 to Sydney for 5 and 25.

Sydney bid on Green, GWS pass and take Jackson, you guys take the player you always wanted in the first place in Young and get pick 25 for free.

Sydney could just say “no thanks we’re not interested in losing pick 25 just to keep GWS honest on Green.”

Melbourne alone must bid on Green.

Sydney could just say “no thanks we’re not interested in losing pick 25 just to keep GWS honest on Green.”
I dont think they are matching Green if a bid comes at 3 and I think they've made that clear, that would be literally chucking away a future 1st for no reason.

They have made this clear from doing that trade. Sydney would do the trade if they expect GWS to pass, which it seems like they would to me

I dont think they are matching Green if a bid comes at 3 and I think they've made that clear, that would be literally chucking away a future 1st for no reason.

They have made this clear from doing that trade. Sydney would do the trade if they expect GWS to pass, which it seems like they would to me

It’s still involves guesswork on what GWS will do. If I were Sydney I wouldn’t be throwing pick 25 away like that unless I was 100% certain of the outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back