2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Be a bit rich for us to sook about priority selections seeing as we were gifted Trengove and then Brayshaw after that. Sucks to suck for us we wasted them on both occasions
Club should just stfu on this. Kinda embarrassing Goodwin waffled on about it after we've received a bunch in recent history (And have asked for more).
I just don't understand people. Every year they work themselves up into a fever about the top 5 selections and every year the best player is never the number 1 pick. Pick 3 could very bloody easily end up the best in the draft if we develop well

Why would it be a bit rich?

Firstly, we got Brayshaw for Frawley, not for a priority pick.

Secondly, Gold Coast’s argument is that they need more draft talent or they’ll never make the finals. That’s a straw-man argument. They’ve had seven top ten picks in the past three years. And they’re about to add Rowell to that group.

They’re not down the bottom of the ladder because they don’t have enough talented players. They’re down there because they’re playing a bunch of kids.

If they needed more draft talent, why did they trade pick 2 in 2017 for Lachie Weller? They could have had Stephenson, Hunter or Naughton with that pick.

None of their arguments stack up. There is no justifiable reason for the AFL to penalise other clubs just because Gold Coast want to stock up on talent. Priority picks are there to provide equalisation and give struggling club’s a chance, not to give them an unfair advantage.

As for lower picks turning into gun players, you’re absolutely right. There usually are some hidden gems later in the draft. But no one knows who that will be yet. It’s just a guess.

Anderson is already a gun player. There’s a lot less risk involved in taking him at pick two than there is in taking another player with a lower pick. And he is also exactly the type of player we need. So, why wouldn’t the club object to another club depriving us of the chance to get him, especially when that club is already loaded with top ten talent?

There’s nothing rich about Goodwin taking the AFL to task for penalising us without a justifiable reason. On the contrary, it would be negligent of him if he didn’t.

Why would it be a bit rich?

Firstly, we got Brayshaw for Frawley, not for a priority pick.

Secondly, Gold Coast’s argument is that they need more draft talent or they’ll never make the finals. That’s a straw-man argument. They’ve had seven top ten picks in the past three years. And they’re about to add Rowell to that group.

They’re not down the bottom of the ladder because they don’t have enough talented players. They’re down there because they’re playing a bunch of kids.

If they needed more draft talent, why did they trade pick 2 in 2017 for Lachie Weller? They could have had Stephenson, Hunter or Naughton with that pick.

None of their arguments stack up. There is no justifiable reason for the AFL to penalise other clubs just because Gold Coast want to stock up on talent. Priority picks are there to provide equalisation and give struggling club’s a chance, not to give them an unfair advantage.

As for lower picks turning into gun players, you’re absolutely right. There usually are some hidden gems later in the draft. But no one knows who that will be yet. It’s just a guess.

Anderson is already a gun player. There’s a lot less risk involved in taking him at pick two than there is in taking another player with a lower pick. And he is also exactly the type of player we need. So, why wouldn’t the club object to another club depriving us of the chance to get him, especially when that club is already loaded with top ten talent?

There’s nothing rich about Goodwin taking the AFL to task for penalising us without a justifiable reason. On the contrary, it would be negligent of him if he didn’t.

Facts and reason have no place on this board, don't you realise it's for champs and trolls only?

Seeing Essendon smash freo shows why a GC priority 1 would make NO difference. Essendon traded in a heap of quality players after being decimated after the drugs saga and have risen quickly. Its clear the AFL need to assist them to somehow attract some quality players and stop the exodus from GC.
They have No 1 pick, another 1st rounder and Rankine will be available to play next year plus first pick in the 2nd round. If Martin leaves add another good pick. They will have to open a creche to cope with all their kids.
Anderson seems like a good choice for us.

I wouldn't surprise me if GC end up with 1 & 3 (Lukosious trade), and attempt to trade with the Dees for pick 2, in order to pair up Rowell & Anderson.

GC: Pick 2
Dees: Pick 3 & 17

Would Dees fans be happy to drop one pick spot to get pick 17?

I wouldn't surprise me if GC end up with 1 & 3 (Lukosious trade), and attempt to trade with the Dees for pick 2, in order to pair up Rowell & Anderson.

s**t yeah I would

s**t yeah I would

If you were going by player "type" in this draft, then Ash would be your number 1 target and he'll be there at pick 3.

Pick 17 is the cherry on top. Luke Jackson would make a nice Max Gawn protege, and the kid can play KPF.

If you were going by player "type" in this draft, then Ash would be your number 1 target and he'll be there at pick 3.

Pick 17 is the cherry on top. Luke Jackson would make a nice Max Gawn protege, and the kid can play KPF.
Depending on salary cap, adding pick 17 would also give us trade currency to land one or both of Langdon and Zak Jones without sacrificing someone like Brayshaw. So in short I’d happily chop off my dick for Stewie Dew to eat as a hotdog for that kind of deal.

I'd say they are comparable in terms of talent, except Wines can actually kick a goal, and Wines has more mongrel in his little finger than Brayshaw has in his whole body. I'd trade him for Brayshaw on attitude alone.
Attitude?

I went to the North vs Port game on the weekend and Wines put in about as much effort as I do at work on a Monday morning post 3 day bender. Pass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh God, we’ve brought the champ out for an airing. If anyone upgrades to pal then we’re done for
I got champ'ed seven times in one transaction by the guy who works at the Southern Cross Gloria Jean's yesterday.

I got champ'ed seven times in one transaction by the guy who works at the Southern Cross Gloria Jean's yesterday.
I hope you called him pal.

Edit. I work across from there. I’m going to hang about the place acting like a Jayden Hunt and see if I can improve on your champ score.

Attitude?

I went to the North vs Port game on the weekend and Wines put in about as much effort as I do at work on a Monday morning post 3 day bender. Pass.
Yeah, because a sample size of one is useful. Were you at the other 130+ games he's played? Port have fallen to bits. In a good side that's up and running, Wines would be in our top 5 players - barring injury of course. He's carried a few injuries in the last couple of years. I was only talking about whether he's a good replacement if Brayshaw were to leave. ie. like for like type player. Anyway, we don't have to keep talking about Wines - but your comment based on you seeing him in one game needed to be called out for the statistical irrelevancy it is. You could argue there isn't a single player on Port's list worth having on the strength of that game.

Depending on salary cap, adding pick 17 would also give us trade currency to land one or both of Langdon and Zak Jones without sacrificing someone like Brayshaw. So in short I’d happily chop off my dick for Stewie Dew to eat as a hotdog for that kind of deal.
Looking at Stewie Dew that would have to be bloody decent size hotdog for him to even consider masticating it!

Only if GCS traded P17 up, to around P12 (gws)...

I would allow GCS Anderson... if they give us P3, & P12/13 from gws.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back