2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

In a perfect world, mids aren't squeezed in. I just think given the quality of midfield depth, this is what will end up happening.
Oh i agree but 10 mids and only 4 forwards in stupid in my view.. Personally i would go something like this

B: Stewart, Andrews, Grimes
HB: Sheppard, McGovern, Rich
C: Sheuy, Fyfe, Macrae
HF: Walters, J.Cameron, Ablett
FF C.Cameron, Hawkins, Darling
R: Grundy, Neale, Bontempelli
IC: T. Kelly, Gawn, Cripps, Houli/Saad

Would also think about replacing Gawn with another player since Darling could ruck for 5 mins a Quarter instead

This team is much more balanced and would look like a team that would be fielded

Oh i agree but 10 mids and only 4 forwards in stupid in my view.. Personally i would go something like this

Would also think about replacing Gawn with another player since Darling could ruck for 5 mins a Quarter instead

This team is much more balanced and would look like a team that would be fielded

It certainly sticks to a traditional 22. Feel weird leaving Danger and Dusty out given they're 2 of the best goal kicking mids and often spend parts of game there. I like Houli, but don't think he's had an A.A season, Saad either for that matter, but I get having another defender on the bench.

Darling could not ruck for five minutes a quarter. Gawn and Grundy deserve to be in. Both have been in top 10 players for the season.

Adam Saad gets in surely ? Been Essendon's most consistent and standout player all season.

Starting Marcrae in the centerline over Cripps is just lol worthy, in fact I don't think he will even male the bench. Good player, but hardly having an elite season like Cripps has

Darling could not ruck for five minutes a quarter. Gawn and Grundy deserve to be in. Both have been in top 10 players for the season.

Nope. Gawn doesn't get in this year. This is one season where we don't need two rucks in the AA team

So one of them sit on the pine whilst the other rucks and swap half way through a quarter?
Both Gawn and Grundy are number 1 rucks not 1 and 2
And one sitting forward with 3 tall's all ready hell no

Interesting that people are so set on Harris Andrews, and that the same "flaws" (namely his defensive one-on-one loss rate, which is one of the poorest among key defenders) that existed with Alex Rance (and caused so many arguments over the last few years) are being overlooked or going unnoticed.

Not saying Andrews should be negatively judged or discounted on particular criteria, just interesting how perceptions differ. I guess there'll be a point where Andrews will become "boringly great" or "overrated", and we'll nitpick to justify not selecting him too (this is where Jeremy McGovern is right now).
Harris takes the best opponent. Rance often didnt.

Thats the difference. Fairly obvious.

Nope. Gawn doesn't get in this year. This is one season where we don't need two rucks in the AA team
Sure, much more important to have the 11 ranked mid/flanker on the bench than the top two ruckman who are both top 10 players. It’s not a real *en team that plays anyone. Picking two rucks was done last year and they’ll do again.

Needs more Tarrant and Cunnington

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Sheppard has the best case of any Eagles player. Has been consistent all the way through and has had a better season than Hurn.

So one of them sit on the pine whilst the other rucks and swap half way through a quarter?
Both Gawn and Grundy are number 1 rucks not 1 and 2
And one sitting forward with 3 tall's all ready hell no
If they both made the team last year then they'll both make it in this year. It will come at the expense of the third best Key forward (which is equally as unecessary).

I am not fan of 2 rucks in the AA.. just takes up another midfielder spot. It has to be Grundy and him alone! he rucks the whole game himself and he has been clearly the best.

You asked for the difference. Ive given it.

Your point re: his unanimous inclusion may be valid. I havent looked into it.

Im just simply answering your query about why he doesnt get the same level of disdain as Rance does.

It's because he gets the best opponent.

Yes, you answered the question. Now I follow on with further discussion.

Given how the game is actually played in 2019, why is one-on-one play so heavily weighted to some? And why is doing less well against better opponents seen as more valuable?

Also, it's not like Andrews participates in more one-on-ones than Rance historically has, or spends less time doing "help" defence.

Just kind of feels like perception is wildly different, with somewhat flimsy justification, is all.

Yes, you answered the question. Now I follow on with further discussion.

Given how the game is actually played in 2019, why is one-on-one play so heavily weighted to some? And why is doing less well against better opponents seen as more valuable?

Also, it's not like Andrews participates in more one-on-ones than Rance historically has, or spends less time doing "help" defence.

Just kind of feels like perception is wildly different, with somewhat flimsy justification, is all.
The perception is different because when we think about the "best defender" we want them to be matching up against the best forwards.

Now, this as you say may not be optimal for the modern game. But thats why Rance is called one of the greatest defenders of the last 10 years, but not one of the greatest full backs.

Presti in his prime for example could shut down blokes just as well as Rance.

Haven't seen enough of Brisbane and Andrews this year, but that post strikes me as most likely nonsense.

Scroll up.

Dude is a North fan who is upset that Andrews is gonna keep his world beating Robbie Tarrant from making it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back