2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

It's strange Cripps and Petracca are being discussed in an AA thread.

All 18 coaches are taking Petracca over Cripps, notwithstanding Cripps' year. Clearly Petracca has so much more upside it's not funny, whereas Cripps had a great year and probably something close to his peak.

Petracca has the ability to become a gun midfielder. He just needs to learn how to get easy ball. Almost half of Petracca's possessions are contested.

I won't debate these players, as I'd be doing a disservice to Petracca and that's no insult to Cripps.

Cripps needs to be compared to Jake Melksham, not Petracca.
I think Cripps is more valuable than Melksham. He doesn't have the potential upside of Petracca. What he dies do from whatI've seen is take his chances. Good poise and decision making.For the Eagles Ryan and Rioli look spectacular and can do great things.

Cripps reminds me more of Bruest. Looks like a role player but always finds a way to get the job done.

I think Cripps is more valuable than Melksham. He doesn't have the potential upside of Petracca. What he dies do from whatI've seen is take his chances. Good poise and decision making.For the Eagles Ryan and Rioli look spectacular and can do great things.

Cripps reminds me more of Bruest. Looks like a role player but always finds a way to get the job done.
Even though I brought Melksham up he also doesn't play like Cripps. And for what we want Melksham is more suitable.

Melksham often plays as our deepest forward as our talls push higher. His one v one contested marking is brilliant and when he does roam outside the F50 his kicking inside 50 is as good in the league, which is why he's no.1 in the AFL for goal assists in 2019.

You can have Cripps.

Haynes..Andrews..Astbury
Lloyd.....Hurley....Whitfield
Treloar....Oliver.....Coniglio
Martin...Franklin..Bontempelli
Breust...Brown....Daniher

Grundy...Cripps...Fyfe

Dangerfield, Heeney, Macrae, Adams

All 18 coaches are taking Petracca over Cripps, notwithstanding Cripps' year. Clearly Petracca has so much more upside it's not funny, whereas Cripps had a great year and probably something close to his peak.

Petracca has the ability to become a gun midfielder. He just needs to learn how to get easy ball. Almost half of Petracca's possessions are contested.

I won't debate these players, as I'd be doing a disservice to Petracca and that's no insult to Cripps.

Really need to put a J in front of that Cripps.

Really need to put a J in front of that Cripps.
Yep. I came in reading this thread late and was wondering in what world are Melksham and P Cripps similar players.

J Cripps misses so many easy goals.

If he kicked them he would be AA

Last edited:

Yeah that's kinda my point. Petracca was pick 2 in the draft and everyone is waiting for him to turn into a star. J Cripps is probably our 5th most hyped forward after our talls and Rioli & Ryan.

All 18 clubs would rather have Petracca than J Cripps but Cripps is currently performing at a slightly higher level, admittedly at age 26 vs age 22.

When I first saw Petracca play at AFL level I thought he'd be an absolute star but after 3 full seasons (and he's a big kid so wasn't getting beaten up as a first year player) he doesn't really seem to be getting better. He's a mile off AA standard right now but I hope by the end of 2019 he isn't.

Even though I brought Melksham up he also doesn't play like Cripps. And for what we want Melksham is more suitable.

Melksham often plays as our deepest forward as our talls push higher. His one v one contested marking is brilliant and when he does roam outside the F50 his kicking inside 50 is as good in the league, which is why he's no.1 in the AFL for goal assists in 2019.

You can have Cripps.

Actually we cant, I dint support the
J Cpripps mises so many wasy goals.

If he kicked them he'd be AA
Not been my impression. I'm not very focussed on watching the Eagles though. It's a perception from last years finals mostly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that's kinda my point. Petracca was pick 2 in the draft and everyone is waiting for him to turn into a star. J Cripps is probably our 5th most hyped forward after our talls and Rioli & Ryan.

All 18 clubs would rather have Petracca than J Cripps but Cripps is currently performing at a slightly higher level, admittedly at age 26 vs age 22.

When I first saw Petracca play at AFL level I thought he'd be an absolute star but after 3 full seasons (and he's a big kid so wasn't getting beaten up as a first year player) he doesn't really seem to be getting better. He's a mile off AA standard right now but I hope by the end of 2019 he isn't.
Petracca's contribution in 2018 is underestimated.

I think he's 25-30% below what he'll become, however, he did finish the season with the 7th most score assists and the 12th most inside 50s. Combined with 20 disposals and almost a goal per game they're handy numbers and not the horrendous year that seems to be portrayed on here.

48% of Petracca's possessions are contested, which is very high and more akin to a full-time inside mid. In fact, an inside mid would be happy with those stats. He needs to up his uncontested possessions and get to around 25 disposals per game. If he can do that he'll start being the player many of us envisaged.

Rioli from West Coast might be a shot this season. Regardless, will snag some majors and create a fair bit.

Laird Tarrant Andrews
Whitfield Mcgovern Lloyd
Treloar Cripps Yeo
Heeney Riewoldt De Goey
Fantasia Brown Bruest

Gawn Fyfe Kelly

Martin Oliver Haynes Macrae

The 2013 draft to dominate, Kelly, Bont, Cripps, Merrett, Fantasia, Sicily, MCrouch
Don’t think it will be Merrett after packing two preseasons in a row. Not Bont and crouch whose only really just getting back to full fitness. Whereas Cripps has had two full preseasons in a row. Trimmed down and has Andrew Russell getting more out of him than ever.

At this stage the likely Bombers would be:

Zach Merrett
Michael Hurley

Possibles:

Joe Daniher
David Zaharakis
Dyson Heppell
I wouldn't write off Shiel. He was AA in 2017 and In an outside role for the first time last year. He's been very durable the last few years, but how he fits in to your setup will be a factor.

Theirs a few players who would need to be injured to miss the team surely. Id say Martin/McGovern/Cripps are the 3 certainties. My guess is

FB: Williams, Hurley, Sicily
HB: Laird, McGovern, Whitfield
C: Gaff, Cripps, Kelly
HF: Martin, Riewoldt, Dangerfield
FF: Gray, McDonald, De Goey
R: Gawn, Viney, Conigllio
I/C: Oliver, Macrae, B.Crouch, Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back