• A - really great

• B - pretty good

• C - okay

• D - could have been better

• E - could have been a lot better

• F - terrible!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone tell me what the trade with Sydney was?

How did we go from having picks right after one another to having 4 picks between our second and third pick.

How did we go from having picks right after one another to having 4 picks between our second and third pick.
We only dropped back 2 spots, but Sydney bid on Mead after acquiring our pick. As it happened live some joked that we told them that they had to bid on Mead if we did the trade. Sydney then took Gould with that pick.

25 for 27 (pushed to 28 with a Mead bid) + 2020 third-rounder (originally Fremantles).

Pretty nothing trade, but it's a few more points next year.

Keays and Crocker seem more like Port Power selections
Yeah seems a bit odd to not add any speculative young player and add two guys that will be going for a similar position that it feels like we've already got a heap of guys trying to fight for the role. Says a bit about the draft talent this year imo where the draft ended at mid 60s where it typically goes into the 80s and then only 15-20 odd in the rookie draft where it feels like there's usually another 30-40 odd selections. Think our last pick in the draft is what we'd typically do in the rookie draft so at least they've invested in someone that they see being more valuable in the future and getting them cheaper now.

Seems like more teams are open to keeping a spot open to either pick someone up prior to the start of the season like a few teams did last year and/or go into the mid season draft with an opening (although there's every chance you get that from a LTI).

Not that we saw a great deal go in the mid season draft last year but I suppose it's still a handful of names that might have otherwise been drafted in this draft.

Hamish gives a good explanation on our last 2 picks.

They felt OConnor has good upside because he was stuck behind 2-3 in the WA midfield. They projected the touches he did get to more midfield time and concluded he would have had greater production.

Gollant they accept is a Smokey but felt if he went round another year would be high end so best get him in now.

Some rationale I guess. Hamish has too many runs on the board to be throwing the toys out at this early stage.
The BK touch

Hamish already flagged people wouldnt like the last pick selection but I am neither here nor there so will follow his progress or lack of

The BK touch

Hamish already flagged people wouldnt like the last pick selection but I am neither here nor there so will follow his progress or lack of
I've gone back and watched several of Lachlan's NAB League games in their entirity today/tonight and honestly this pick has me completely flummoxed. Other than he looked decent overhead and he most certainly is a long way off growing into his body he doesn't look to have much pace, plays a very outside game and his kicking doesn't look to be anything special. I did note he stuck a couple of decent tackles though.
I'll bow to Hamish and his crew's judgement but all I can say is he must have really shown them something special when playing for PEGS in the AGSV school football program.....

I've gone back and watched several of Lachlan's NAB League games in their entirity today/tonight and honestly this pick has me completely flummoxed. Other than he looked decent overhead and he most certainly is a long way off growing into his body he doesn't look to have much pace, plays a very outside game and his kicking doesn't look to be anything special. I did note he stuck a couple of decent tackles though.
I'll bow to Hamish and his crew's judgement but all I can say is he must have really shown them something special when playing for PEGS in the AGSV school football program.....
Yeah the comment about him costing more next year doesnt stack up for me

Rory Sloane is the recent example and instead of rookie listing him we waited one year and he still went 44

Again it may pay off but we wait and see

I think our approach to the Rookie Draft has changed in recent years. Rather than picking skinny kids with X-factor who will need 2-3 years to develop we have switched to more mature bodies who have one year to step up or exit stage right.

Crocker and Keays this year, Butts and Strachan last year, Murphy the year before. I thought that we may have have used a spot on the Rookie list for a project ruckman but I wasn’t aware of the Sudanese Basketballers prior to the draft.

Yeah the comment about him costing more next year doesnt stack up for me

Rory Sloane is the recent example and instead of rookie listing him we waited one year and he still went 44

Again it may pay off but we wait and see

I get where they're going with that, and it's more why risk other clubs being interested, especially if you're certain he's special?

That said, we must be incredibly confident he'll grow into that body, and be a dominant inside midfielder. Gollant profile doesn't fit elsewhere.

I would be very interested, from an Crows recruitment interview perspective, if you spoke to 50 Victorian kids who thought they were in the potential 40-rookie draft area about their feelings about moving to Adelaide as a rookie pre-draft, how many would have shown a bit of reluctance.

Now with one SSP spot left open, if you invited any of those undrafted kids to come train in Adelaide for the last rookie spot against Mathews, wonder how many would change their attitude after missing out on their dream.

Also Crows SANFL top up squad had 2, potentially 3 AFL draftees (with Mathews) so even a Crows SANFL top up squad position could look good for kick-starting an AFL career. Will be very interested to see who is invited to train with the squad over summer, and who ends up in the Crows SANFL development squad.

Any kids left around the country with that express pace and line-breaking ability that we want to see?

I think our approach to the Rookie Draft has changed in recent years. Rather than picking skinny kids with X-factor who will need 2-3 years to develop we have switched to more mature bodies who have one year to step up or exit stage right.

Crocker and Keays this year, Butts and Strachan last year, Murphy the year before. I thought that we may have have used a spot on the Rookie list for a project ruckman but I wasn’t aware of the Sudanese Basketballers prior to the draft.

Butts and Murphy were closer to skinny kids than mature players like Keays.

I get where they're going with that, and it's more why risk other clubs being interested, especially if you're certain he's special?

That said, we must be incredibly confident he'll grow into that body, and be a dominant inside midfielder. Gollant profile doesn't fit elsewhere.
Its interesting, sounds like a rookie selection not a pick 48. On the night the justification was GWS were picking him next and Hamish had to jump in, that’s been dispelled by Hamish himself though. BACCS you called me stubborn for not believing it, seems I might have been wise not to believe. I’ll accept your apology in advance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah was going to say, a very un-Crows-like rookie draft, these guys are like the token DFAs Port picks up annually

Not gonna write them off though, both have time on their side at 22yo but are developed enough to make a good impact for our SANFL side
Nah Depth primarily ...possible upside / future ....but our list depth is young and exposed to injury next season ...we didn't need more youth on the Rookie List

Nah Depth primarily ...possible upside / future ....but our list depth is young and exposed to injury next season ...we didn't need more youth on the Rookie List
Port tried something similar a couple of years back, we laughed at them, most didn’t get a game and were delisted.

It’s short sighted and who cares if our depth is tested next year, we aren’t going anywhere but if we’ve missed out on some youth that can have a long term career, that’s more costly than finishing 12th instead of 10th.

Last edited:
Is anyone else confused with the logic used by GC to give their 2020 mid-first round pick away to Geelong for a 2nd rounder? Makes no sense to me.
They rated Sharp about 15 this year, so for them it was close to an equivalent pick and they get the player they wanted.

Is anyone else confused with the logic used by GC to give their 2020 mid-first round pick away to Geelong for a 2nd rounder? Makes no sense to me.
Looking from a Crows perspective GC have it too easy. Not hard to be frivolous with first round picks when they are gifted so easily. I hope the AFL ask them WTF were they up to throwing a 1st round selection at Geelong to gain a second round pick.

Looking from a Crows perspective GC have it too easy. Not hard to be frivolous with first round picks when they are gifted so easily. I hope the AFL ask them WTF were they up to throwing a 1st round selection at Geelong to gain a second round pick.

Yeah, almost a bit of arrogance about them. "Look at all these clubs so desperate for our early picks AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

Port tried something similar a couple of years back, we laughed at them, most didn’t get a game and were delisted.

It’s short sighted and who cares if our depth is tested next year, we aren’t going anywhere but if we’ve missed out on some youth that can have a long term career, that’s more costly than finishing 12th instead of 10th.
Your list strategy changes, or should change ...depending at where your list is

Rookies, given the list in last 3 years ...you'd go youth

Rookies after losing experience and having so much youth ...can undestand adding some experience, to cover injuries ...but they're 22 yo , not 26 yo ......btw no-one's been talking negatively about Wilson (25 yo) or Kieran Strachan (24 yo)

We still have another Rookie pick, which is likely to be a "project" young player

This side will still be thereabouts next season

If they stuff the picks ....they simply put their hand out

source.gif

Your list strategy changes, or should change ...depending at where your list is

Rookies, given the list in last 3 years ...you'd go youth

Rookies after losing experience and having so much youth ...can undestand adding some experience, to cover injuries ...but they're 22 yo , not 26 yo ......btw no-one's been talking negatively about Wilson (25 yo) or Kieran Strachan (24 yo)

We still have another Rookie pick, which is likely to be a "project" young player

This side will still be thereabouts next season
But if you’re bringing in experience in case of injuries you’re basically saying you’re not developing the youth in your team, the experienced players come in if you have injuries, not the youth.

Wilson shouldn’t have been retained, Strachan I can understand as he’s only been on an AFL list for one year and showed development, plus we have no rucks.

The sides been thereabouts without winning anything for 20 years, our strategy of not bottoming out hasn’t worked. Its decisions like this which keep us there. Too afraid of going backwards a little. These guys will not help us win a flag, uncovering a gem rookie might.

But if you’re bringing in experience in case of injuries you’re basically saying you’re not developing the youth in your team, the experienced players come in if you have injuries, not the youth.

Wilson shouldn’t have been retained, Strachan I can understand as he’s only been on an AFL list for one year and showed development, plus we have no rucks.

The sides been thereabouts without winning anything for 20 years, our strategy of not bottoming out hasn’t worked. Its decisions like this which keep us there. Too afraid of going backwards a little. These guys will not help us win a flag, uncovering a gem rookie might.
:thumbsu:

We took the "rookie" pick gamble, adding Gollant and O'Connor to the main list ....have added 3 Quality players this Draft on top of 4 Quality picks last Draft .....and probably 3-5 next Draft (inc Edwards)
That's a good crop of young players to regenerate the list

I'm happy taking Crocker / Keays .....I wouldn't be doing it next Rookie Draft

Back