List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

1 or 2 years playing then 2 years coaching/academy
Seriously lol, I give up, let’s just put Malchesci back out there, it will be the same result. I hear Malcolm Blight might be interested in a position as long as it’s 3 years

For what? Surely not to play he is older than the Queen
Still perform better than some on Sun list, also to last that long maybe the youngster can learn how he take care of his body. Marceski can't even perform in AFL, Burgoyne is still playing AFL and had the flexibility to play different Role.

Still perform better than some on Sun list, also to last that long maybe the youngster can learn how he take care of his body. Marceski can't even perform in AFL, Burgoyne is still playing AFL and had the flexibility to play different Role.
Malchesci was a quality player in a better side but rubbish for us, this would just be a repeat imo

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/5e6720a8c94474e538b6dcac824e67da
Suns targeting Shaun Burgoyne
similars

"Gold Coast has set its sights on Hawthorn champion Shaun Burgoyne filling a Luke Hodge-type role for them next year.
The Suns’ plan is for 36-year-old Burgoyne to play in 2020 and then in 2021 if his body holds up.
As part of the package to lure the four-time premiership player north they would offer him an off-field role after he finishes playing."

If we do that, Gil and the AFL will never give us any help.

If we going to get a 37yr old to lace up the boots for 2 years.

Talking about making some mistakes. Jesus.

Self inflicted pain.

Still playing well. Not a terrible idea.
But in the most structured team in the league, massive mistake

We keep doing this stupid s**t, it’s the pick swap debacle all over again. We give up 4 2nd rounders to get the Eagles pick which turns into 18 and then this year we do it again with the lions

Burgoyne is just the next Malchesci

1 or 2 years playing then 2 years coaching/academy

It would seem this part is just as interesting as the playing ... if he could encourage and help indigenous players to settle and develop ..be a huge get.

.... Burgoyne’s off-field prospects could include a role within the Suns football department or with the club’s expanding academy.

I know Burgoyne is old as *, but I have a huge man crush on him.

He is a top 10 player of the last 20 years. If we are choosing between Tom Nicholls or Shaun Burgoyne's corpse it's not even a decision #weekendatburgoyne's

I don't see how getting Burgoyne impacts on the rest of our list build or the concessions we may get from the AFL.

Has the relationship with Dew from the Port days.

Day is playing alright. He is just about the strongest bloke in our team. We should keep him, but he'd have to be on a lower wage.

I'd also keep Tom Nicholls, if he wants to stay. His form in the NEAFL has been good. He's a good backup to Witts.

It would be crazy to trade either Miller or Sexton. Madness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burgoyne makes more sense than Roughead. A 1 year contract, then see if his body holds up sounds ok to me. I think some of our young blokes would love to play in the same team as him.
yeah agree with this. Burgoyne is still a star and could provide the on field leadership we need even if just for 15 games a year and is flexible enough to play any position on ground.

I think we're talking down different lines.
Someone with Hurleys experience would be great as a bridge for the development of our young team.
Lukosius would definitely benefit if he continued down back - don't deny that at all.

I'm just suggesting that the asking price in a trade you suggested was way off. You basically said Essendon give us Hurley - a 2 year player beyond his best for Ben King - an 18 year old key forward with 15+ years ahead of him. That was the part I am disagreeing with.

My Lukosius comment above was aimed at your comparison with Rozee, they play completely different roles - not really sure how or why he came into the conversation. Wouldn't necessarily take the performance of a 196cm player in their first year as representative of his future performance.

Its like saying - Hey Sam Draper hasn't shown anything at AFL level - we'll take him for a 5th round pick thanks.
I never said Hurley for King.

I said you wouldn't pick up both Hurley and Zaharakis for an unproven player like Lukosius (or King for that matter) without something else going the other way as well. I'd say a pick, but I don't know enough about the value of those to know. Maybe, if it were both, you'd be looking at, eg.
Hurley + Zaka
for
King + a third rounder (?)

Draper is different because good ruckman take time to develop, bit when they do you can more easily see how their development and skillset will translate to AFL standard. Blind Freddie can see Draper coming.

You've put 2-3 years of AFL level service on Hurls and Zaka yourself. You'd be getting a bargain. Hurley has been in the AA conversation this year until his injury, not past his best at all.

Funny your concern was age though. I lolled when I read Burgoyne's name. Would still be great for player development. Hurls would be better value for a partial on-field role.

Forget about Rozee; my bad. I was looking at line ups earlier this season and thought Luko was a hf. The stats are obviously incomparable if he's been playing as a hb.

I never said Hurley for King.

I said you wouldn't pick up both Hurley and Zaharakis for an unproven player like Lukosius (or King for that matter) without something else going the other way as well. I'd say a pick, but I don't know enough about the value of those to know. Maybe, if it were both, you'd be looking at, eg.
Hurley + Zaka
for
King + a third rounder (?)

Draper is different because good ruckman take time to develop, bit when they do you can more easily see how their development and skillset will translate to AFL standard. Blind Freddie can see Draper coming.

You've put 2-3 years of AFL level service on Hurls and Zaka yourself. You'd be getting a bargain. Hurley has been in the AA conversation this year until his injury, not past his best at all.

Funny your concern was age though. I lolled when I read Burgoyne's name. Would still be great for player development. Hurls would be better value for a partial on-field role.

Forget about Rozee; my bad. I was looking at line ups earlier this season and thought Luko was a hf. The stats are obviously incomparable if he's been playing as a hb.

You did say
"I'm interested in Wright or King. To trade from our list I'd be looking at Zaharakis, Myers or Hurley,"
I read that as King or Wright for Zaharakis or Hurley or Myers.

Must have interpreted your comment wrong though.

OF course Hurley would be better than Burgoyne. It's all about what we have to give up to get these players.

You from Hobart Thurls?
yep, you too? I grew up in South Hobart and went to Friends School...….you guys blow up about 100 point losses for The Suns our first 18 was so bad we would get done by 150 plus to Hutchins or St Virgils day in day out

Can't believe some on here are against getting Burgoyne. Still playing alright footy but that is beyond the point, the real benefit of his recruitment wouldn't be on field(Although as I said he's still playing ok), but for what he could do off field. He'd help build that culture of excellence, he's played 370 games and won 4 flags... He'd be the perfect leader/role model for your younger players and would show the young players how to take ownership of the Suns and turn the GC into a quality side like Hodge has done for us. The guidance and mentorship he'd give the young players would be invaluable.

Has a preexisting relationship with Dew as well having won the 2004 flag together at Port.

Can't believe some on here are against getting Burgoyne. Still playing alright footy but that is beyond the point, the real benefit of his recruitment wouldn't be on field(Although as I said he's still playing ok), but for what he could do off field. He'd help build that culture of excellence, he's played 370 games and won 4 flags... He'd be the perfect leader/role model for your younger players and would show the young players how to take ownership of the Suns and turn the GC into a quality side like Hodge has done for us. The guidance and mentorship he'd give the young players would be invaluable.

Has a preexisting relationship with Dew as well having won the 2004 flag together at Port.

How does it look when the 37yr old you just got to your club on 400-500k a year does his calf in the JLT game and doesn’t play a game all season.

The media will call for the Suns heads even further

How does it look when the 37yr old you just got to your club on 400-500k a year does his calf in the JLT game and doesn’t play a game all season.

Any club would be supremely lucky to have a guy like Burgoyne on the list or even just around the club. He'd essentially be a playing assistant coach plus the work he'd do aiding the development of your younger players and even your leaders with his experience and leadership skills would just be a real asset to your club. So even if he did injure his calf he'd still be a huge asset for the club. But he played 17 games last year and has played 12 this year...also played 370 games over the course of his career. He's extremely durable and imo is capable of playing at a high standard all the way to 400 games like Boomer Harvey. Not sure why you're worried he might cop a season ending injury. Never been an injury prone player.

We wouldn't want him just for his playing ability. A big part would be for leadership & mentoring, but hopefully we'd get some onfield value too.

But in the most structured team in the league, massive mistake

We keep doing this stupid s**t, it’s the pick swap debacle all over again. We give up 4 2nd rounders to get the Eagles pick which turns into 18 and then this year we do it again with the lions

Burgoyne is just the next Malchesci
I disagree, malcheski is playing with Sydney pressure based and stoppage team that wear out players body, look at Melbourne, Fremantle, Sydney and Gold Coast players kicking and handball skill. . Brisbane is playing a more possession based type of football. You need effort but when your team is young you already lost out in endurance and big body so the only way is to improve your skill. Effort and endurance will improve when you have a few pre season and not in rehab.

Last edited:
You did say
"I'm interested in Wright or King. To trade from our list I'd be looking at Zaharakis, Myers or Hurley,"
I read that as King or Wright for Zaharakis or Hurley or Myers.

Must have interpreted your comment wrong though.

OF course Hurley would be better than Burgoyne. It's all about what we have to give up to get these players.
Yeah sorry, I just meant if I were GC, I'd be looking at those two as senior players on the EFC list who could be getable.

I also think one of Wright or King would benefit our list. Looking again at what I've written, maybe Wright and a 3rd or King and a 2nd. It's conjecture though. Does that sound equitable to you?

We wouldn't want him just for his playing ability. A big part would be for leadership & mentoring, but hopefully we'd get some onfield value too.
It also makes you wonder if players are enticed to play alongside/under him. I'm under the impression he is a strong figure in the indigenous community and could even sway Martin and Ah chee to stay on as he could be a great teacher to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back