Discussion 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You check their Visa's VDS or you doing a Jeff?
Unless they are operating illegally , it can be cheaper to employ a resident.
And.......
https://www.workvisalawyers.com.au/...visas-for-fast-food-businesses-to-be-cut.html
-------------
The Fast Food Industry Labour Agreement established in 2012 has been scrapped by Immigration Minister Peter Dutton. This will result in significant reductions of 457 skilled visas issued to fast food businesses. More than 500 skilled worker visas were approved for fast food businesses over the past four years.

The 457 visa programme has been under the microscope of the Federal Government ever since the reported visa abuse of 7-11 workers. In our earlier article we talked about the possible scrutiny of specific industries for the employer sponsored visa programme, which includes:
------------

500 workers , 600 7-11's in Australia.

I guess they have until their Visa's run out.

He raised valid points IMO. Whether they are accurate remains to be seen.

If they are, is he still a racist? I'd say no.

I thought a Hansonite such as yourself would agree.

He raised valid points IMO. Whether they are accurate remains to be seen.

If they are, is he still a racist? I'd say no.

I thought a Hansonite such as yourself would agree.

I thought that was a red tinged hard plastic surface.
I was probably leaning more towards Palmer :p

They may well be informed statements by Kennett.
IDK anything about the security company involved.

I do remember many many years ago it seemed that everyone working in Nightclub security near where i lived was a large person of Indigenous New Zealand appearance. But that may have just been my perception. Their fingers dug in and left bruises when they lifted me by the shoulders and carried me out.

Last edited:
Booing of Goodes wasn't racist, but Kennet is?

I actually agree with him on this one. As crass or non PC as it is.

Valid points.

I'd be interested to see what their background is in terms of experience and if they aren't 457 workers.

More importantly what their brief was.

Until such time it looks like he has upset the easily offended crowd.
His comments may have some relevance if every whitey born in Australia loves AFL. As that is patently untrue Bonehead is engaging in racial stereotyping.

Silly comment from Jeff. My family migrated to Australia for a better life. I'm sure a lot of people still do. Insensitive to say the least. But I am not surprised. It's Jeff Kennett.

His comments may have some relevance if every whitey born in Australia loves AFL. As that is patently untrue Bonehead is engaging in racial stereotyping.

Meanwhile if he came to my place of work , he'd notice a couple of people with the appearance of Vietnamese boat people.
One poor sucker barracks for North the other for Essendon. One is leading the workplace AFL Fantasy comp, but i think i can get above the other one.
Both doing well in the footy tipping. Great guys to chat to about the game on a Monday morning.
They don't look a lot different to some others who are in fact recent Cambodian immigrants. ( Wonder if i can get them on the Saints ).

Meanwhile if he came to my place of work , he'd notice a couple of people with the appearance of Vietnamese boat people.
One poor sucker barracks for North the other for Essendon. One is leading the workplace AFL Fantasy comp, but i think i can get above the other one.
Both doing well in the footy tipping. Great guys to chat to about the game on a Monday morning.
They don't look a lot different to some others who are in fact recent Cambodian immigrants. ( Wonder if i can get them on the Saints ).

Yeah, we have a friend who is from a Vietnamese background, she looks like she could have a accent still but she's born here and when you go to the footy with her she actually embarrasses you. She'd get evicted in the current climate. Hawks fan so she deserves to get manhandled from any stadium. Her husband didn't have a team and I talked him into the Saints, he's still shitty 10 years later.

Yeah, we have a friend who is from a Vietnamese background, she looks like she could have a accent still but she's born here and when you go to the footy with her she actually embarrasses you. She'd get evicted in the current climate. Hawks fan so she deserves to get manhandled from any stadium. Her husband didn't have a team and I talked him into the Saints, he's still ****ty 10 years later.
Yep, there's a Viet guy at our firm who migrated here 5 or so years ago. Strong accent but loves his football (Dogs supporter) and I'm sure wouldn't appreciate the rubbish Kennett went on about.

Guy on the radio said that the security at the G stays in the same area, and gets to know people, and will approach the sober one and say... "psst hey get your pissed mate to settle down". They actually know the regulars.

Apparently Marvel Security is constantly rotated and moved.

Silly comment from Jeff. My family migrated to Australia for a better life. I'm sure a lot of people still do. Insensitive to say the least. But I am not surprised. It's Jeff Kennett.
Mate, I worked with heaps of Greeks who had settled in Highett.
(They took great delight in teaching this Skip all the bad words).
And one, coincidentally also named George, was a mad Saints supporter.
The topic of conversation, and commiseration, every Monday morning through winter because this was the 80’s.
Kennett apparently never spoke to George.
More’s the pity.
He should have.

Mate, I worked with heaps of Greeks who had settled in Highett.
(They took great delight in teaching this Skip all the bad words).
And one, coincidentally also named George, was a mad Saints supporter.
The topic of conversation, and commiseration, every Monday morning through winter because this was the 80’s.
Kennett apparently never spoke to George.
More’s the pity.
He should have.
The ruling class.

he's not a racist (at least in regards to this issue) but he was racially stereotyping. His point is valid, that people that don't have a feel for the game (tho you'd only have to go to a few tight contests to acquire this feel) shouldn't be asked to make judgements of that nature. But by more or less saying, 'look at the guards, they're indian, clearly they have no feel for the game' is a poor effort.

It's a typical trap older generations fall into (dare I say it), they have a valid point but make it in way that marginalises people, and then double down on it because they believe the initial point was valid. From my experience, once people hit their sixties they don't take feedback in regards to their behaviour well at all. It's understandable, they're over it, they just want to make their point and be shown a little respect given their years. But it doesn't make it right.

What Jeff should have said was, 'From the reports about what took place today, it sounds like the security staff overreacted and do not have a feel for the game. It's important that we make sure those employees are trained properly in regards to what is acceptable and what is not so they can develop that feel.'

just me 3 cents

Wow, incredible news about Stephenson. What a fool if true, should miss a few months.

Silly boy, I thought they educated the players about this?
Big loss for the Pies.

( Eddie’ll get him off.)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a bit surprising that you're all still discussing this. It was a dumb thing to say, everyone knows Aussies who know three tens of jack s**t about AFL - I know I do - and plenty of foreign types who could school people on it. This isn't news to anyone but deadshits like Jeff Kennett and nationalist scum. But haters gonna hate. Big deal.

Wow, incredible news about Stephenson. What a fool if true, should miss a few months.
Reportedly the bet was on the rd9 game against us. And it's rumours to have involved the possession tally of at least 1 of his teammates.
I think the only fair outcome is to strip them of the win and give us the 4 points ;)

he's not a racist (at least in regards to this issue) but he was racially stereotyping. His point is valid, that people that don't have a feel for the game (tho you'd only have to go to a few tight contests to acquire this feel) shouldn't be asked to make judgements of that nature. But by more or less saying, 'look at the guards, they're indian, clearly they have no feel for the game' is a poor effort.

It's a typical trap older generations fall into (dare I say it), they have a valid point but make it in way that marginalises people, and then double down on it because they believe the initial point was valid. From my experience, once people hit their sixties they don't take feedback in regards to their behaviour well at all. It's understandable, they're over it, they just want to make their point and be shown a little respect given their years. But it doesn't make it right.

What Jeff should have said was, 'From the reports about what took place today, it sounds like the security staff overreacted and do not have a feel for the game. It's important that we make sure those employees are trained properly in regards to what is acceptable and what is not so they can develop that feel.'

just me 3 cents

It's got to be bullshit though anyway, I've been going to Etihad since it opened and the security have never batted an eye lid to anything unless it's real trouble. They actually actively stay out of anything that looks hairy usually. There has to have been a directive from stadium management or the AFL to stop potential violence and it's lead to them being a lot more of a presence. They even have these dumb jackets with some kind of crap written on them. The AFL is just doing some damage control after an over reach and blaming a few Pakistani kids who lucked out in their choice of menial jobs. It's the Aussie way, * up your job because you were trying to look busy and then name the campaigner at the bottom for your * up. Even better if you can make it look like their background or religion make them act crazy.

just me 3 cents

"It's a typical trap older generations fall into .... From my experience, once people hit their sixties they don't take feedback in regards to their behaviour well at all."

Typical bloody ageist crap from a soft c*** millennial who's probably 35 and still living at home with their mother. Go get a real job sonny!!!!;)

In my experience the relative age, intellectual capacity, wealth, ethnicity or religious beliefs of an individual are irrelevant to their capacity to behave like a tool.

Come on down Jeff!!!!

"It's a typical trap older generations fall into .... From my experience, once people hit their sixties they don't take feedback in regards to their behaviour well at all."

Typical bloody ageist crap from a soft c*** millennial who's probably 35 and still living at home with their mother. Go get a real job sonny!!!!;)

In my experience the relative age, intellectual capacity, wealth, ethnicity or religious beliefs of an individual are irrelevant to their capacity to behave like a tool.

Come on down Jeff!!!!

I went to school with close relatives of Jeff, I have met him several times a long time ago, he was always a campaigner. These boys are actually lefties and anti privatisation, pro immigration.

man this is really pathetic from Jeff...
of course it is racist .. he is saying that a person from another country cant do a job properly ... it comes down to training not where the person was born .. if we are to belive the hype that security has been ramped up is the training of said security also been ramped up ? i would guess no ...
the issue is that new security are not trained properly on how to do the job (that would extend to the dinkydi 4th generation aussie or the new imigrant)

man this is really pathetic from Jeff...
of course it is racist .. he is saying that a person from another country cant do a job properly ... it comes down to training not where the person was born .. if we are to belive the hype that security has been ramped up is the training of said security also been ramped up ? i would guess no ...
the issue is that new security are not trained properly on how to do the job (that would extend to the dinkydi 4th generation aussie or the new imigrant)

No you have it wrong .
Yes he was racist.
His racism was the assumption that all the Indian looking guys working security had no clue about AFL , the traditions , the way supporters act.

No-one is doing cultural training of security. Its all contractors paid tendering then winning or losing the tender.

If in fact Jeff was correct, ( and he might have been, his racisim was taking his stereotype as fact ) that they are in a large part people from another culture which doesn't understand AFL, then sure they should be trained. It should be at the cost to the service provider who chose those people.

I'd be pissed if i got a new job and i was taught about Australian culture. What a freaking waste of time. Do bakery owners need to be trained in what "Pie n sauce means"? Similarly if you dumped me in Afghanistan and told me i was in charge of crowd control at the Buzkashi, i'd need some sort of initiation, true . but you'd also question why i had been given that job in the first place.

In "Men in Black 3 " Will Smith ( sent back to the 1970's ) is pulled over by a cop checking to see if he's stolen the car. Will points out that "Just because i'm black doesn't make it right to assume i stole this car....though in this case i have, but it doesn't make it right to assume it "

Similarly Jeff may be right, but it doesn't make it right to assume it.

Other than the Japanese team I don't see any women's soccer over here much, so I was Youtubing to see just how good this Sam Kerr is. This was her highlights reel. (Turn the volume down, the "music" is about as bad as Youtube music gets)
I was thinking....damn....imagine if we had even one player who approached the forward line with the same composure decision making ability and general skill (or even one of the 3) that this girl has. It was laughable to watch this video and then remember just how much our players brown their pants when they've got the ball approaching goal (but far enough away that a decision needs to be made). If anyone happens to know Seb Ross, can you force him to sit down and watch and learn?

No you have it wrong .
Yes he was racist.
His racism was the assumption that all the Indian looking guys working security had no clue about AFL , the traditions , the way supporters act.

No-one is doing cultural training of security. Its all contractors paid tendering then winning or losing the tender.

If in fact Jeff was correct, ( and he might have been, his racisim was taking his stereotype as fact ) that they are in a large part people from another culture which doesn't understand AFL, then sure they should be trained. It should be at the cost to the service provider who chose those people.

I'd be pissed if i got a new job and i was taught about Australian culture. What a freaking waste of time. Do bakery owners need to be trained in what "Pie n sauce means"? Similarly if you dumped me in Afghanistan and told me i was in charge of crowd control at the Buzkashi, i'd need some sort of initiation, true . but you'd also question why i had been given that job in the first place.

In "Men in Black 3 " Will Smith ( sent back to the 1970's ) is pulled over by a cop checking to see if he's stolen the car. Will points out that "Just because i'm black doesn't make it right to assume i stole this car....though in this case i have, but it doesn't make it right to assume it "

Similarly Jeff may be right, but it doesn't make it right to assume it.
is it culture that is causing the issue though ? i would think an untrained person from any culture would struggle to do a job the works on a lot of interpretation of a situation being new to the country or not isnt the issue .. highlighting that is putting blame on the fact they are new to the country.. considering a portion of white Aussies still dont get doing black face is wrong and dont get the link of calling a dark skinned person monkey is wrong i would say that training would be important for ALL security..
Jeff having a dip at "new arrivals" is totally a dig that they shouldnt have that job ...

is it culture that is causing the issue though ? i would think an untrained person from any culture would struggle to do a job the works on a lot of interpretation of a situation being new to the country or not isnt the issue .. highlighting that is putting blame on the fact they are new to the country.. considering a portion of white Aussies still dont get doing black face is wrong and dont get the link of calling a dark skinned person monkey is wrong i would say that training would be important for ALL security..
Jeff having a dip at "new arrivals" is totally a dig that they shouldnt have that job ...

What he was saying is that the security guys didn't know the difference from an AFL crowd acting normally , and an AFL crowd acting badly.
I mean telling people to sit down ? Imagine if it had been an Essendon game.

Culture may not have caused the issue, but its not wrong to express that opinion.
What is wrong is assuming you know someone's cultural background, because you saw a few faces on TV.
If Jeff had data from the company that showed that most of the guards were from a different cultural background, i don't see a problem with him making a statement supported by that data.

Is this racist?
----
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...y/news-story/a267d80b4b99852a45a29145c0ce12fd

Nine in 10 rescues on the beach are tourists, with members of the Asian and Indian communities the main culprits.
----
Once again the issue is education ( training ).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back