Analysis 2019 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Football was never better to watch than the Malcolm Blight coached Geelong teams. However many the opposition kicked, the Cats would kick more.

I think our game style should match our city, vibrant, adventurous, going forward and taking a risk. John Longmire is not that sort of coach, and I think that's the issue many have with him.

Personally I'm fed up with dull safety first, finish 7th footy.

Football was never better to watch than the Malcolm Blight coached Geelong teams. However many the opposition kicked, the Cats would kick more.

I think our game style should match our city, vibrant, adventurous, going forward and taking a risk. John Longmire is not that sort of coach, and I think that's the issue many have with him.

Except the Ferals did not kick enough in GFs under Blight. Good points though, other than I don't agree about Spiv Central (Sydney) being especially vibrant.

Don't worry South Melbourne was pretty vibrant in its day. Plenty of risks also on Saturday nights

By resume training do you mean normal training or the kind of training Buddy was doing this year that didn’t really do him any favours?
All I can say is what the club has said that he will begin training in the new year and isn't expected to miss any football.

But also the club said that he hadn't been doing any training this year. So I don't really know what you're talking about

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Match the city. Utterly mismanaged and mired in traffic.

All I can say is what the club has said that he will begin training in the new year and isn't expected to miss any football.

But also the club said that he hadn't been doing any training this year. So I don't really know what you're talking about

I’m referring to the fact that he barely trained yet still played. IMO that doesn’t do a player any favours, regardless of how great the player is. I think if he isn’t fully right going into the start of next season for whatever reason, I don’t think the same thing will happen again.

I’m referring to the fact that he barely trained yet still played. IMO that doesn’t do a player any favours, regardless of how great the player is. I think if he isn’t fully right going into the start of next season for whatever reason, I don’t think the same thing will happen again.
Mickey O did it for most of his career apparently and he went okay.

You would have appreciated the match when South coached by Des Tuddenham kicked 22 goals and got beaten by Geelong by two goals at the Lake Oval. Stewie Gull kicked 8 in a losing team. John Scarlett, Matts Dad played full back for us that day. I also remember Geelong at the Lake Oval when they were coached by Bob Davis kicking something like 18 goals and were still beaten by us.
Players had flair and dash. The Geelong wingman Tony Pollinelli smoked a pipe at three quarter time. Glory days

Last edited:
And im saying he is expected to get in about 5 months off training so we can hold of joining hanrahan and his cries of ruination until buddy actuakly does pick up something that's expected to affect his round 1 fitness.

And im saying he is expected to get in about 5 months off training so we can hold of joining hanrahan and his cries of ruination until buddy actuakly does pick up something that's expected to affect his round 1 fitness.

How do you figure 5 months? I heard he wouldn't be training until February. The season starts in late March if I recall correctly. That's like 2 months at the most.

And my point wasn't that Buddy wouldn't be playing. I said it's a strange place for us to be in when Reid is our experienced forward in the best shape at the minute, and that if for some reason Buddy and Menzel aren't playing round one (not a totally bizarre prospect given they're both on lay-offs at the moment), then Sinclair and Naismith may be in the same side. That's all

After the GC the jig was up in regards to the game plan. Be instructive to watch the game again and the players visible as GC ran over the top of us.

Clarke can play off a half back flank, go into the middle and has pace, Mc V can but cant and doesn't; COR can play off a flank, play in the middle and has pace and McV can, but can't and doesn't; Thurlow can play on a half back flank, a wing and has pace and McV can but can't and doesn't. If McV lines up in the firsts next year that means there has been some disappointing pre-seasons by the newbies or the coach is playing favourites. O hold on he doesn't does he?

In thinking of my best 22 for next season, I'm looking ahead to the end of the home and away season and hopefully a few finals.

I'm with you Connolly on this, as good as McVeigh has been for many years I would hope that by the end of next season other players have demanded to be picked ahead of him. I'd add Jack, Smith and Reg in a similar vein in that as good as they have all been, hopefully there are better (and especially for the defensive 6/7) pacier options by the end of the season who provide a bit more zip than those 4 mentioned players can at this stage of their careers.

So my best 22 by end of next season would be something like this -

Rampe - Melican - Cunningham
Jones - Aliir - Lloyd
Florent - Mills - Hayward
Heeney - Reid - Blakey
Ronke - Buddy - Papley
Sinclair - Parker - Kennedy
I/C - Hewett - Menzel - Dawson and one of say Thurlow/O'Riordan/Ling as a 7th attacking defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SYD-header.png

TEAM EXPLAINED: The back half remains stable as always, and with Callum Mills to split his time between defence and the midfield, he starts on the bench. Lewis Melican will eventually push for a spot but coming off knee surgery and his hamstring issues, he'll have to wait. Veteran Kieren Jack is the unluckiest player here, with Harry Cunningham, draftee Nick Blakey and recruit Ryan Clarke preferred on the bench because of their versatility. Callum Sinclair excelled as the number one ruckman this year so deserves his chance again ahead of Sam Naismith, who is working his way back from his ACL. Recent groin surgery means goalkicker Daniel Menzel is unlikely to be ready for round one.

PRE-SEASON BATTLE: Key forwards Sam Reid and Tom McCartin will fight to partner Lance Franklin as the second tall inside 50, but Reid's battle with his own body could be the clincher. Both could fit into the same team but we're going with an extra midfielder on the bench, as Blakey can also play tall. - Adam Curley

B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
HB: Jake Lloyd, Aliir Aliir, Jarrad McVeigh
C: Zak Jones, Josh Kennedy, Oliver Florent
HF: Will Hayward, Sam Reid, George Hewett
F: Ben Ronke, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley
Foll: Callum Sinclair, Luke Parker, Isaac Heeney
I/C: Callum Mills, Harry Cunningham, Nick Blakey, Ryan Clarke

Defender depth: Matthew Ling, Jack Maibaum, Lewis Melican, Colin O'Riordan, Harry Reynolds, Jackson Thurlow, Durak Tucker

Forward depth: Jordan Dawson, Kieren Jack, Tom McCartin, Daniel Menzel*, Toby Pink, James Rose, Sam Wicks

Midfield depth: James Bell, Zac Foot, Robbie Fox, Justin McInerney, James Rowbottom, Ryley Stoddart

Ruck depth: Joel Amartey, Darcy Cameron, Sam Naismith, Kurt Tippett^

^Kurt Tippett has retired, but remains on the list for salary cap purposes

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-15/r1-2019-who-plays-in-your-clubs-seasonopener

In thinking of my best 22 for next season, I'm looking ahead to the end of the home and away season and hopefully a few finals.

I'm with you Connolly on this, as good as McVeigh has been for many years I would hope that by the end of next season other players have demanded to be picked ahead of him. I'd add Jack, Smith and Reg in a similar vein in that as good as they have all been, hopefully there are better (and especially for the defensive 6/7) pacier options by the end of the season who provide a bit more zip than those 4 mentioned players can at this stage of their careers.

So my best 22 by end of next season would be something like this -

Rampe - Melican - Cunningham
Jones - Aliir - Lloyd
Florent - Mills - Hayward
Heeney - Reid - Blakey
Ronke - Buddy - Papley
Sinclair - Parker - Kennedy
I/C - Hewett - Menzel - Dawson and one of say Thurlow/O'Riordan/Ling as a 7th attacking defender.
That is a very good side. If it stays together on the paddock barring injury. Very quick and a lot goals in it. That forward line will be a nightmare for opposition defences. Might need two rucks with Naismith in and Sinclair going to a resting forward pocket. Ronke taking Lings spot on the bench.

Still don't like it. Especially with a player in his 30s, even if he's a GOAT like Bud.
No choice last year. Too many out to not play Buddy. We crashed out in the end without him. That last final he was cooked. Agree he needs to be good and fit this year.

You would have appreciated the match when South coached by Des Tuddenham kicked 22 goals and got beaten by Geelong by two goals at the Lake Oval. Stewie Gull kicked 8 in a losing team. John Scarlett, Matts Dad played full back for us that day. I also remember Geelong at the Lake Oval when they were coached by Bob Davis kicking something like 18 goals and were still beaten by us.
Players had flair and dash. The Geelong wingman Tony Pollinelli smoked a pipe at three quarter time. Glory days
I can imagine Ramps doing that

Only when Eade was coaching. When Roos came in he got Mickey operated on and eventually fit. He was sensational in 2004, 2005 etc because he was fit.

He was called Magic for two reasons. Blindingly brilliant on the paddock and disappeared at training.

Not magic its called presumption of innocence and actually being innocent. You were there and can positively establish guilt beyond reasonable doubt in regard to an appalling crime? Thought not.

Especially when you consider the Police in charge of that investigation said he had no wrong doing in the incident. Not to mention not being present when the alleged act transpired.Why the **** that would get brought up on this Board after **** knows how long down the track is beyond me. Wait ! No its not when I think about it.:rolleyes: I thought actively posting on this Board would send me to the nuthouse but even reading it has given me a Brain Injury.

Especially when you consider the Police in charge of that investigation said he had no wrong doing in the incident. Not to mention not being present when the alleged act transpired.Why the **** that would get brought up on this Board after **** knows how long down the track is beyond me. Wait ! No its not when I think about it.:rolleyes: I thought actively posting on this Board would send me to the nuthouse but even reading it has given me a Brain Injury.
The nut house isn't so bad. Get a lie down every afternnon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back