Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the realities we will have to face is that we are not immune to losing players. We have an abundance of talent, some of whom will seek other opportunities. Marchbank might be one of those guys who is squeezed out of the backline and pursues more ground time elsewhere. I'd hate to lose anyone, particularly a player with as much upside as Marchbank but, with quality ins come some outs. Can't see how we fit Plow and Marchy in the same backline either. Makes us a bit slow in terms on exit speed and decision making.

Players with currency like Marchbank will be shopped around to fix the final holes in our list.

Marchbank is one of those players who is probably best 22 in terms of talent but might not be in terms of team structure. As such, I think all of the following are probably true:

• We want to keep him. Players get injured, and even if he's on the edge of the 22 in terms of structure he'll still play a lot of games for us.

• Of all the young KPP talent we have (e.g. Weiters, Charlie, Harry), Marchbank seems like the one we could most afford to lose.

• Now would be a bad time to trade Marchbank as he hasn't really shown what he can do, or at least not for a sustained period. Trading Marchbank now would not be selling high.

Bottom line, seems like the best course would be to keep Marchbank for now, hopefully give him a decent run over the next year or two, and see how our KPP situation shakes out. Maybe at some point in the future we'll have to trade him in order to land someone else we need more... or maybe that need doesn't arise or the KPP picture changes.

Footy isn’t played on paper, there are variables such as form injury and match ups, you can’t have to many good players in any position, most side have one or two key players out most weeks.
Look at how many were of the opinion that Harry Charlie and McGovern would make us too tall up forward, the 3 of them barley played together due to form and injury

Footy isn’t played on paper, there are variables such as form injury and match ups, you can’t have to many good players in any position, most side have one or two key players out most weeks.
Look at how many were of the opinion that Harry Charlie and McGovern would make us too tall up forward, the 3 of them barley played together due to form and injury

Totally agree, that's why I think it makes more sense to consider best 30 rather than best 22. I'd much rather keep Marchbank than lose him.

At the same time, neither list spots nor draft currency are unlimited, and list balance is a thing. If we're relatively long on one position and relatively short on another then a tough decision might have to be made. And yes, this can backfire or turn out worse than expected due to bad luck, like how we traded Tuohy out when we had heaps of small running defenders and then lost Doc, Byrne, Willo through various injuries etc. But the end result of that trade... was a Geelong future pick that enabled us to get Marchbank.

It's a conversation we can have forever but a few start points -

1. Having too many good players costs. We do have the TPP issue to contend with. You cannot put all your money in one area of the ground.
2. Balance, balance and then some more balance. Having a balanced squad of 44 players allows opportunity and development for all.

It's not as easy as loading up with talent for talents sake. It just doesn't work. It cannot work.

One of the realities we will have to face is that we are not immune to losing players. We have an abundance of talent, some of whom will seek other opportunities. Marchbank might be one of those guys who is squeezed out of the backline and pursues more ground time elsewhere. I'd hate to lose anyone, particularly a player with as much upside as Marchbank but, with quality ins come some outs. Can't see how we fit Plow and Marchy in the same backline either. Makes us a bit slow in terms on exit speed and decision making.
Injury has been a big factor in his career too date, tremendous courage and third up defender not at all a key positional player and atm on exposed form maybe through lack of continuity has poor kicking skills and poor awareness of players around him, its these two traits that imo are a little worrying in his game.
Every chance he can largely eliminate them out of his game and become more like the player we all hopefully see him becoming, it all depends on what camp you are in if you think Weitering Jones Marchbank and Plowman all can fit and function in the same backline, I'm one that thinks it's too tall and limiting flexibility and run against sides with dangerous quick and mobile forward lines.
Certainly don't want to see Marchy go but, we need to have a well balanced backline for most matchups they will encounter against certain sides, there will be times opposition teams will require us needing a taller backline 👍

I don’t see the issue. Jones the big dog, Weitering CHB, Marchbank 3rd tall/intercept defender, Plow licking down on the med/small, then there’s Doc and two others (Simmo, Newman, Willo, Samo, etc) as running/distributing smalls.

Feels fairly similar to the structure that good teams like Richmond, Geelong and West coast employ.

I feel like people get lured into looking purely at height. Plow may be listed at 193cm but he does best on smaller opponents, not dissimilar to Grimes (not saying he’s that good but you get the drift...)

I don’t see the issue. Jones the big dog, Weitering CHB, Marchbank 3rd tall/intercept defender, Plow licking down on the med/small, then there’s Doc and two others (Simmo, Newman, Willo, Samo, etc) as running/distributing smalls.

Feels fairly similar to the structure that good teams like Richmond, Geelong and West coast employ.

I feel like people get lured into looking purely at height. Plow may be listed at 193cm but he does best on smaller opponents, not dissimilar to Grimes (not saying he’s that good but you get the drift...)

It’s a slow backline. I’ve watched the Richmond small forwards run rings around it. We might as well be witches hats.

Richmond defence only plays with 3 190cm plus players.
WC defence only plays with 3 190cm plus players.
Geelong are slow.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would be really pi**ed off if we traded Marchbank. By no means is he expendable (in my opinion). He is a vital cog to our structure.
That's the very problem...he isn't a vital cog.

Not positionally in that we have two preferred KPDs, and not in terms of reliability in that he misses every other week with injury.

I'd love him to get a full season in and build on his immense potential.. but I can absolutely understand why he may be shopped. May be somewhat dependant on how we rate Macreadie internally too.

Have been heavily linked to Betts Papley and Butler.
Small forward is a need, but would we really need all three?
Betts and Butler should come cheap at least

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that is what the club have in mind for Martin

I see it and it may start that way, but it wouldn't take much through the pre-season for Teague and co to have a change of mind.
If Sydney refuse to deal with Papley, Martin may just make the next best option for a creative forward post....even with Betts and Butler on board.

Martin in the back-line does make sense though.

I think that is what the club have in mind for Martin
Thanks Arrow - timely post for me. Came to the thread this morning to ask where people see Martin playing. Have been concerned that if Papley and Betts come and potentially Butler, and if Martin is seen as a forward, JSOS and Cunningham might be starved of opportunity. Like the idea of adding Martin class to the backline.

If we got Butler what's everyone's thoughts on turning him into a small defender as we got carved up most wks by teams small forwards

I think this is a horrendous idea.

Need small forward.
Obtain small forward.
Immediately send small forward to backline?
What? Why?

I think this is a horrendous idea.

Need small forward.
Obtain small forward.
Immediately send small forward to backline?
What? Why?
We are getting papley Betts and Martin and did you even watch us this yr it was the small forwards that tore us up nearly every wk

If we got Butler what's everyone's thoughts on turning him into a small defender as we got carved up most wks by teams small forwards
If we get butler we'll use him as a forward. If we get papely i'd rather butler over betts.

But if we need a small defender then we go out and get a small defender. Not a fan of having too many swingmen. 1 or 2 is handy but we need the best 22 settled in their positions for the most part.

We are getting papley Betts and Martin and did you even watch us this yr it was the small forwards that tore us up nearly every wk

Nope. You're right. Sorry. Here I was talking about our team all year, but I forgot to watch any football. If I'd seen any, I too would realise "Dan Butler - Small Defender" is a winning idea. I see where I went wrong here.

Also, I think we should get Patrick Cripps out onto a wing, Jack Martin can play second ruck to Kreuzer and IF we can jag B Crouch or Ollie Wines, they can play full back. :drunk:

OR... just throwing it out there.... we could play good players in or near the position they're good at.

Nope. You're right. Sorry. Here I was talking about our team all year, but I forgot to watch any football. If I'd seen any, I too would realise "Dan Butler - Small Defender" is a winning idea. I see where I went wrong here.

Also, I think we should get Patrick Cripps out onto a wing, Jack Martin can play second ruck to Kreuzer and IF we can jag B Crouch or Ollie Wines, they can play full back. :drunk:

OR... just throwing it out there.... we could play good players in or near the position they're good at.
And baker started as a small forward to and was one of Richmond best last night as a small defender it's called looking outside the box mate

Team development has been constrained by too many classy players not actually - playing. Marchbank/Cuningham/Williamson/Docherty - huge outs in a rebuild which was based on getting youth in and playing together. Some hard decisions will have to be made by end 2020 - because these players have constrained team and list development. Lots of pick 'capital' spent on Marchbank and Cuningham - and both have delivered way unders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back