Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As it stands we all know that we have one of the highest amounts of first round picks on our list in the competition (21 is the number from my count) with many of those 24 y.o and under. Most clubs have between 12-15 first rounders on their list (GWS still has over 20 also). The cream players as we know are generally found in the top 15 in any draft (sure you get the odd anomaly outside of this) and we have 17 top 15 picks on our list (14 of these players are under 25) - these are spread all over the park also (forward, mid and back -wingers and mercurial types included). SOS has done a mercurial job here and it is now up to the players and coaches to develop and I have no doubt that with the talent and the work ethic it will happen and it may happen quickly.

It’s actually 23, and we should hear about it from Ch7 I’m sure.

Not a crack at you, but this line gets trotted out every single year..... and this year is probably one of the years where it is least applicable... there are a lot of spots up for grabs because we are so painfully noncompetitive. Any player who resembles AFL standard is going to get a lot of games this year, same as last year, and the year before that.
Training the house down
Hardest preseason I have ever done
Training with the midfield group
I've done "most" of the sessions

There's alot of similarities every preseason with the rhetoric. Best to proceed with caution on the pre season hype and be realistic of expectations.

We have 4 ruckmen because 3 of them are injury prone and the other is a young kid.

Pretty sure the current premiers have 4 or 5 ruckmen on their list
4, unless you seriously count McInnes as a ruck option.

2 of them are genuine forward threats in their system (Williams, NicNat), while 3 of them are athletic freaks (Hickey is the third).

It's usually the better team that is perceived and often correctly so, to have the better talent.

Can't deny Brisbanes young squad though with the likes of Andrews, McCluggage, Berry, Rayner, Witherden and Hipwood, for starters.

It may seem odd to us, but many outsiders still see Brisbane to have the better and deeper young talent. I don't see it, but there may be a reason for that. :)
I see it as quantity vs quality...with out quantity coming through just a bit behind.

That list of names is great, but I dont see any of them reaching the heights of Cripps or Curnow.

Our ruck stocks are a bit of a concern....in a few years time when our young mids are hitting their straps, we'll have a 31 yo injury prone Kreuz, Matty Lobbe 32, another injury prone ruck in AP at 29....and TDK at 21. Leaves a bit of a gap.

One player coming out of contract at the end of 2019 is Peter Wright from GCS. Potential ruck/forward rotating with Harry - he's still only 22, would be around 24 when our mids are starting to running amok.

Worth a look at the end of the season?

Our ruck stocks are a bit of a concern....in a few years time when our young mids are hitting their straps, we'll have a 31 yo injury prone Kreuz, Matty Lobbe 32, another injury prone ruck in AP at 29....and TDK at 21. Leaves a bit of a gap.

One player coming out of contract at the end of 2019 is Peter Wright from GCS. Potential ruck/forward rotating with Harry - he's still only 22, would be around 24 when our mids are starting to running amok.

Worth a look at the end of the season?

Forward more so than ruck, so not really the replacement you’d be chasing for the leading ruckman (though we were knee deep into him previously by rumours).

If there’s someone like a Darcy Fort, perhaps that’s the avenue to take. State league prepped, mature and raring to go, though we’ll see how he fares at AFL level firstly.

I see it as quantity vs quality...with out quantity coming through just a bit behind.

That list of names is great, but I dont see any of them reaching the heights of Cripps or Curnow.
That's it, they have more depth and probably a more stable core of senior types, at least they did have at the start of their rebuild.

Andrews too, fair player already - very consistent.

See how Raynor, Witherden, Berry, McCluggage, Bailey go on improving this year.
Andrew apparently elite. Handy having a midfield that protects your defence. They are moving him forward in 2019 which I think is a dumb move. Coz they don’t really have the KP depth.

Forward more so than ruck, so not really the replacement you’d be chasing for the leading ruckman (though we were knee deep into him previously by rumours).

If there’s someone like a Darcy Fort, perhaps that’s the avenue to take. State league prepped, mature and raring to go, though we’ll see how he fares at AFL level firstly.
Interesting, I didn't know there were rumours floating around Wright linking him to the Blues.
Article by Shaun Hart (GCS development coach) says he sees the longer term prospect of ruck for him, although a dangerous forward.

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2018-06-21/ruck-the-wright-fit-for-peter

Just thought I'd throw it out there as a possibility given our list requirements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much TDK hype, ‘he might be Charlie like good’ hopefully we won’t need to :)
like charlie he just looks like he enjoys playing footy - it's a great start - many players seem to have this sense of having to get better and prove themselves good enough - they worry about ******* up instead of getting on with playing the sport they love and enjoying themselves - tdk is having fun and I'm enjoying watching him whatever happens.......

Jacobs, Sinclair, Longer, Nankervis, lycett all traded in rather cheaply.

We will grab a ruck when required with the lure of more game time.
Varying degrees of 'cheapness' though...

Jacobs for 33 + 67

Sinclair straight swap for Lewis Jetta

Longer + 48 for 25 + 41

Nankervis for 46

Scott Lycett a free agent on a 5 year deal of about $700k pa

I'd also add the following:

Mumford for 39

Witts for 44 + 62

McEvoy for Savage and 17

I'll see your Thomas & Casboult

and raise you

Jack O'Brien Dow SPS Kennedy McKay McGovern TDK Stocker Lang Walsh Schumacher Garlett Marchbank Weitering Newman Fisher Macreadie Cuningham Polson Charlie Williamson Fasolo Pickett Kerr BSOS Finbar Setterfield Gibbons Cottrell Goddard LeBois Owies.

plus SOS Russell Liddle Lloyd Agresta Judd

All brought in in just over 3 years!!!! :oops:

And with all of these off field additions, exactly where are we? Reigning wooden spooners men and women.

If you end up in the bottom 3 as often as we have, you are expected to sign good players. Developing them is another matter. Unfortunately, we have a poor track record in this area, especially with ruckmen. How many of them will take that next step? I put to you that the following have to make a serious statement this season or face the risk of being traded or cut.

Petrevski-Seaton (needs to show everyone why he was the best 16 y.o in the country. Coach needs to let him run. If not then the West will come a calling)

Weitering (reminded me of Watts at times last year. Disinterested, appalling body language and at times sulking. Should have played more seconds footy to get his confidence up. Opposition clubs will apply a lot of physical pressure on him.)

SOS (He desperately needs something. Not quick, not a big mark, not tall, not fast. Hopefully he can find his niche)

Kennedy (refer to previous posts. Not upto AFL standard)

Garlett (At times can be electrifying, but is lazy and selfish)

Pickett (You may as well put him on 'delisted'. He will never play another senior game)

Fasolo (Zero credits left. Cannot afford any more mistakes Will get cheap goals, but will he be there when the game is in the balance?)

Murphy(2 ordinary years. Looks and plays like a player whose body is shot. If he has another bad one, he will be forced out. Lot's of kids willing to take his spot)

Jones (Went off his meds last year, and became the unpredictable Jones of years gone by. Hopefully they have got him back on the right meds.)

And with all of these off field additions, exactly where are we? Reigning wooden spooners men and women.

If you end up in the bottom 3 as often as we have, you are expected to sign good players. Developing them is another matter. Unfortunately, we have a poor track record in this area, especially with ruckmen. How many of them will take that next step? I put to you that the following have to make a serious statement this season or face the risk of being traded or cut.

Petrevski-Seaton (needs to show everyone why he was the best 16 y.o in the country. Coach needs to let him run. If not then the West will come a calling)

Weitering (reminded me of Watts at times last year. Disinterested, appalling body language and at times sulking. Should have played more seconds footy to get his confidence up. Opposition clubs will apply a lot of physical pressure on him.)

SOS (He desperately needs something. Not quick, not a big mark, not tall, not fast. Hopefully he can find his niche)

Kennedy (refer to previous posts. Not upto AFL standard)

Garlett (At times can be electrifying, but is lazy and selfish)

Pickett (You may as well put him on 'delisted'. He will never play another senior game)

Fasolo (Zero credits left. Cannot afford any more mistakes Will get cheap goals, but will he be there when the game is in the balance?)

Murphy(2 ordinary years. Looks and plays like a player whose body is shot. If he has another bad one, he will be forced out. Lot's of kids willing to take his spot)

Jones (Went off his meds last year, and became the unpredictable Jones of years gone by. Hopefully they have got him back on the right meds.)
Murphy (2 ordinary years) where were you in 2017, he won our BnF.

Kennedy will prove you wrong. Are you sure you are a carlton supporter. You might be a closet bomber or pie fan right??

Your description of Weitering is baseless never have I seen him disinterested. He works his arse off. Our mids cost him a better year. His game v Adelaide in the last round was ******* amazing.

Silvagni has worked harder than anyone this preseason. A huge weight on his shoulders.

Just thought I'd make some subtle changes, tell me what you think;

Hawthorn used to operated like a corporation and actually won premierships going back to 2015.....haven't won a final since. They used to be innovative and proactive. Over the past 4yrs, they've adopted the same philosophy that got our list to the state it was end of 2015. On the other hand we had some of the most so called powerful business identities sitting on our Boards since 2005 and were run like a D Grade Amateur team with chook raffles. Not any more! Look at Brisbane. They did last year what we did in 2017, and they didn't do anywhere near a complete cleanout like we did. Now they are considered genuine up and comers. Our list is still 2 years away from being dominant. Time will tell no doubt.

What do you think Moods?? Reads better to me 😁

No prefer my version if it is all the same.

Where are you getting these stats from

This was Round 17 last season and below is Round 19.

Injury list pre-Round 17:

Kade Simpson - Calf - Test

Jacob Weitering - Calf - Test

Caleb Marchbank - Heart - Test

Kym Lebois - Knee - Test

Angus Schumacher - Groin - Test

Harrison Macreadie - Hamstring - 1 Week

Tom De Koning - Hamstring - 1 Week

Sam Kerridge - Groin - 1-2 Weeks

Jesse Glass-McCasker - Knee - 4-5 Weeks

David Cuningham - Hamstring - 5-7 Weeks

Andrew Phillips - Hamstring - Season