Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to give Hughes a go in the midfield.

Am I right in thinking he clock one of our fastest on field speeds and is one of our best endurance runners?
Has all the athletic ability in the world and is a good mark, don't think he has the football nouse to be an inside mid. He doesn't come across as the contested, bottom of a pack type.

The assumption now being that we can draft better players in the draft...

Historically we have done ok with the rookie list. This yeh looks like we have the House Full sign on the door!.. not sure that’s a great thing!
It's a short term problem though - we have plenty of speculative players with potential upside on our list already - no need to gamble with more rookie picks for now imo.

This time next year our list should be more balanced - we'll get rid of some rucks and act on the results of last chance saloon for a whole bunch of players on our list. Can see us trading in a handful of players (hopefully a quality free agent and another B22 player). Then go into next year's draft with a similar bunch of spots including one for Liam Henry from NGA, and room for a couple of rookies again. And then up to 4 NGA players the following draft where we might do a North/Sydney and just load up on points (giving us a load of options with trading) and again take another couple of rookies.

Hughes looked really promising at the end of 2017. The emergence of Ryan and arrival of Wilson has pushed him down the pecking order considerably now. I still think he can make it, but will likely have to show some skill in the midfield to force his way back in.

Bit surprised about Nyhuis. I thought he genuinely showed something late in the year. Up until then I had my doubts.

But I guess it's more about list management than anything else. By moving players onto the rookie list (and I guess taking the punt that they won't sign with someone else as delisted free agents) it effectively improves our draft position significantly.

It's a short term problem though - we have plenty of speculative players with potential upside on our list already - no need to gamble with more rookie picks for now imo.

This time next year our list should be more balanced - we'll get rid of some rucks and act on the results of last chance saloon for a whole bunch of players on our list. Can see us trading in a handful of players (hopefully a quality free agent and another B22 player). Then go into next year's draft with a similar bunch of spots including one for Liam Henry from NGA, and room for a couple of rookies again. And then up to 4 NGA players the following draft where we might do a North/Sydney and just load up on points (giving us a load of options with trading) and again take another couple of rookies.
yep. if we'd turned over those 3 as well, by my count, we'd have turned over something like 35 players in the past 3 years. That's a massive change for a footy club. We need to pick 4 more draftees then actually focus on getting some consistency over the next couple of years with the players we have so they can gel together and the results will follow.

Duman is the most talented rookie we’ve had in years imo.

Only thing holding him back is the fact he’s got the body of a draftee at best. If he can put on weight and/or find a way to play decent footy anyway he’ll be a better player than anyone we’ve recruited from the rookie list since Barlow.

From the round 23 game v the bulldogs in 2016 there is

Out:
Sheridan
Dawson
Spurr
D pearce
Silvagni
Ibbotson
Sutcliffe
Yarran
Mayne
Weller
Pavlich
Neale
De boer

Still on list
Walters
S.hill
Ballantyne
Sandilands
Mundy
Tucker
Blakely
Langdon

That is only 3 seasons ago and only 8 from that game remain on the list.

The biggest fear I have for this year is so many new players that there is no synergy at all and a lot of turnovers, not from skill errors but hitting certain kicks to certain spots not second nature. I think it is a good think peel didn’t play finals last year to get a few extra weeks of training as a group

Jarryd Lyons delisted by Gold Coast. Given we've lost Lachie, might be a decent DFA pick up to help bolster our midfield. Thoughts?
I’d pick him up. That’s a good cover to have, but gee Gold Coast wtf?
Barlow and Lyons are hugely better then 3/4 of their list..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At full fitness I think I'd have Nyhuis over Duman in my B22

Will he ever get tried as a forward again? Didn't he slot 4 against North Melbourne that one time?

Yeah, but that was more arse than class. Helicopter kicks were going through.

I'd take Duman at this stage, but I reckon both were positives (of which there were very few) that came out of the last third of the year.

We have more of a threatening forward line. Hogan/Tabs as FF and CHF. Lobb would go perfectly as the forward/ruck hybrid role. That’s not too tall. Hogan loves to play one on one, roaming. Tabs can run all freaking day. If they mark and keep it out of the defenders’ hands, not tall is it? If we keep Tabs our, then Freo playing the Pav style again. Hogan as number 1, with Lobb. Relying on a Medium forward in Mccarthy. Not ideal.

What people are forgetting is the smalls. We ll only look ‘tall and slow’ if we don’t have pacey, crumbing smalls doing the job. That’s what Richmond and West Coast do so well. Cripps, Le Cras, Rioli and Ryan benefited greatly on playing the 4th defender if at all. The high pressure when the defenders were so focused on Kennedy and Darling.

Now that we have a better strengthened forward line, Walters can play around the packs and Matera is dangerous in front of goals instead of up the ground.

Hughes will star at another club, huge potential. Apeness is a surprising one. Clearly Bell wanted to do some hard truths.
You do realise the three of them will very very likely be on the list next season and a lot of clubs are doing the same thing. Each of them have a one year contract (which is pretty much the point of the rookie list - it is a 1-year contract list) and they are available for selection every round. All we are doing is making room so we can take picks 14, 31, 43, 65 instead of picks 14, 90 (rookie pick 5), 108 (rookie pick 23) and 126 (rookie pick 43).

You do realise the three of them will very very likely be on the list next season and a lot of clubs are doing the same thing. Each of them have a one year contract (which is pretty much the point of the rookie list - it is a 1-year contract list) and they are available for selection every round. All we are doing is making room so we can take picks 14, 31, 43, 65 instead of picks 14, 90 (rookie pick 5), 108 (rookie pick 23) and 126 (rookie pick 43).
Yeah, realize that. Good way to get Hughes and Apeness fired up. But smart too. Not many other clubs will want them. Hopefully we use the draft well. Bell isn’t playing around, which is great

From the round 23 game v the bulldogs in 2016 there is

Out:
Sheridan
Dawson
Spurr
D pearce
Silvagni
Ibbotson
Sutcliffe
Yarran
Mayne
Weller
Pavlich
Neale
De boer

Still on list
Walters
S.hill
Ballantyne
Sandilands
Mundy
Tucker
Blakely
Langdon

That is only 3 seasons ago and only 8 from that game remain on the list.

The biggest fear I have for this year is so many new players that there is no synergy at all and a lot of turnovers, not from skill errors but hitting certain kicks to certain spots not second nature. I think it is a good think peel didn’t play finals last year to get a few extra weeks of training as a group
Not too fazed tbh. We need the right gameplan for the youth. Ross cannot play the same plan from 2013-2015 and expect it to work the same. Not a chance.
Luckily a lot of the list turnover is for youth and speed. The main core has played together and will be buoyed by the fact they have better options to kick to, and improvement can come.

Do we have any available R/L spots?

I'm thinking more about Tom Medhat, if we don't end up with him in the National Draft what are our options? Is this Cat 2 rookie thing an option for him given he is NGA?
Yeah both Carter and Medhat can be B listed if they make it that far and we want them.

I'm thinking more about Tom Medhat, if we don't end up with him in the National Draft what are our options? Is this Cat 2 rookie thing an option for him given he is NGA?
Yes, that would be the dream scenario. 2 extra players who are effectively outside the list.

I saw Carter train and he looked ok.
I like the look of Medhat, really like his potential.

Duman is the most talented rookie we’ve had in years imo.

Only thing holding him back is the fact he’s got the body of a draftee at best. If he can put on weight and/or find a way to play decent footy anyway he’ll be a better player than anyone we’ve recruited from the rookie list since Barlow.

Duman is that non-assuming guy who just finds the next player in the chain effortlessly and has a footy brain of knowing where to go - once he grows into his 192 cm frame he'll be an instant selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back