Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno what makes me more angry..
Thinking about the possibility of Sumich as coach Or thinking about Freo trading Blakely out cheaply. Ugh.

The Sumich thing depresses me. Outside Perth I don’t think he would be on a shortlist of 15 as a senior AFL coach. Is it the 1990s?

Hindsight's a bitch but crazy that we couldn't find a spot for DeBoer among all the delistings. Could have spent the last few years protecting our young midfielders if things had been played differently.

Hindsight's a bitch but crazy that we couldn't find a spot for DeBoer among all the delistings. Could have spent the last few years protecting our young midfielders if things had been played differently.

Has to be looked at in context. He was out of contract at the time while others (cough *Pearce* cough) weren't.

He played something like 5 games his last year so we could get games into Weller, Langdon, Blakely......

Has to be looked at in context. He was out of contract at the time while others (cough *Pearce* cough) weren't.

He played something like 5 games his last year so we could get games into Weller, Langdon, Blakely......

and it sounds like he did a bit of a soul search when cut by us and trained even harder to get GWS's attention which is why I said it's all about hindsight.

But **** me he's given some value to the Giants these last few years.

I know that most players had a pretty good relationship with Ross & this is not a blame everything on Ross post, but I reckon that Bailey Banfield was quietly content when Ross was sacked.
His career at Fremantle was heading in a very similar direction to DeBoers. Inside mid asked to play as a high defensive half forward, good luck.

GWS took him, gave him a definitive role and developed him to flourish in it!
At freo - he had no role, he was out of favour and had stagnated.

Hindsight is a bitch, but he would never have become the player he is now if he stayed at Freo, FACT.
Time to be happy for him and move on, getting delisted was the best thing that happened to him!

GWS took him, gave him a definitive role and developed him to flourish in it!
At freo - he had no role, he was out of favour and had stagnated.

Hindsight is a bitch, but he would never have become the player he is now if he stayed at Freo, FACT.
Time to be happy for him and move on, getting delisted was the best thing that happened to him!

Absolutely, the post was inspired by watching tonight and being happy for him. Though he did have a role, it was just the wrong one (pressure forward more often than not).

What I want to be encouraged by now is a new coach that can find new roles for our players that bring out their best, without having to be cut.

Absolutely, the post was inspired by watching tonight and being happy for him. Though he did have a role, it was just the wrong one (pressure forward more often than not).

What I want to be encouraged by now is a new coach that can find new roles for our players that bring out their best, without having to be cut.
De Boer never played as a pressure forward. He often played as a forward tagger, not the same thing. Primarily though he played an extra defensive midfielder. He spend all but one year of his Freo career playing along side one of the foremost taggers in the history of the AFL. Do people think he should have had creepys spot or something?
It wasn't the wrong decision to let him go even in hindsight.

WTF is going on with the shoulda got Naughton thing still? Am I missing something? Have we got a couple of KP's leaving that I don't know about?

Pretty sure we're about to lose 2 or 3 best 22 mids and I for one am pretty stoked that we grabbed mids with 2 and 5 in that draft and they've had a couple of years to build.

If there is anyone saying told you so about Stephenson though, I'll give you that... He'd would be pretty handy in our side right now I reckon.

I don't want to clog the Next Coach thread up with this but can people stop saying this board was all over Naughton at the time of the 2017 draft and we didn't really want LDU? Below is the poll attached to the 2017 ND thread.

View attachment 749972

It's the same as this terrible hindsight Tim Kelly rookie listing rubbish that is getting sprouted.

That poll is titled which players do we take, not which players do you want. Different things altogether

De Boer never played as a pressure forward. He often played as a forward tagger, not the same thing. Primarily though he played an extra defensive midfielder. He spend all but one year of his Freo career playing along side one of the foremost taggers in the history of the AFL. Do people think he should have had creepys spot or something?
It wasn't the wrong decision to let him go even in hindsight.

Sorry forward tagger not pressure forward... and for a third time I know that cutting DeBoer was the making of him but I still think there was value there that we didn't find. I can hope that in this next period hindsight will say that we got better at that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know that most players had a pretty good relationship with Ross & this is not a blame everything on Ross post, but I reckon that Bailey Banfield was quietly content when Ross was sacked.
His career at Fremantle was heading in a very similar direction to DeBoers. Inside mid asked to play as a high defensive half forward, good luck.
He had a pretty ordinary year at Peel didn't he? Regardless, I I'd be interested to hear which of our inside mids you would have dropped so Banfield could play in his preferred position.

WTF is going on with the shoulda got Naughton thing still? Am I missing something? Have we got a couple of KP's leaving that I don't know about?

Pretty sure we're about to lose 2 or 3 best 22 mids and I for one am pretty stoked that we grabbed mids with 2 and 5 in that draft and they've had a couple of years to build.

If there is anyone saying told you so about Stephenson though, I'll give you that... He'd would be pretty handy in our side right now I reckon.
Sam Sturt will be our Stephenson. I’m genuinely excited to see what he and Valente will bring to the team. They almost seem forgotten about because they didn’t debut in their first year. Sturt has the frame and athleticism to be a scary forward and Valente looks like he could be a better skilled Blakely replacement.

3 way trade:
Saints
IN: B.Hill, pick 24
OUT: Bruce, pick 5
Bulldogs
IN: Bruce, pick 20
OUT pick 12, pick 41
Fremantle
IN: pick 5, pick 12, pick 41
OUT: B.Hill, Langdon (pick 20), pick 24

Thoughts people?

Add StKilda’s pick 55 to Freo.

May get it done.

I think Freo will be reluctant to give up 24. Pick 12 is a dangerous spot with Henry.

Yeah but everyone wanted someone who could kick the ball better :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back