Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo, Gold Coast, GWS, and Port are probably the teams that I'd say came out of the drafts/trade periods with the most improvement.

Other teams like Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood look like they've potentially had good results too, although it is far to early to say for sure.

-Even though Gold Coast made some head scratching trades, they still brought in a plethora of young talent to their system. This group of players+2018 draft class could go a long long way to establishing the Gold Coast as a competitive football team.

-Freo getting Young/Serong/Henry looks like they'll have 3 fairly solid young players to work with for the future. In 3-4 years these players could be lifting Freo up the ladder.

-GWS snare Ash at 4, who looks a player who can actually impact sooner rather than later, as well as getting Tom Green by matching at 10. No doubt Green either fills the shoes of a departing midfielder in a few years, or is traded for a large draft haul where GWS turn him into 2xtop 10 picks and a 2nd rounder.

-Port hit the draft hard again, this time bringing in 4 players between picks 15 and 25. Along with their 2018 crop, this group will heavily influence Port Adelaide's future. Interesting to watch Port move away from trading for established players and going back to the draft the last few years.

I reckon Adelaide had a preliminary deal with Carlton to trade up to 6. But really wanted McAsey. Their back up was Stephens.

Once Sydney took Stephens, Adelaide weren’t willing to risk McAsey going and reneged on the deal, made easier by the fact Carlton screwed around with Gibbs and essentially cost Adelaide a flag.

75% not wanting him @ 3 is pretty damning is it not?

qualifies as a reach

"Cause the other clubs didn't rate him that highly"

Certainly qualifies as having no idea.

It was a questionable decision given their list IMO, but not a reach.

Saints first pick was pick 52. We drafted Ryan Byrnes who won the Sandringham Dragons B&F and was their Captain.

Knightmare ranked him at pick 18 and said he was the steal of the draft. Explosive, electrifying, intense, damaging kick and a natural leader.

That’ll do me with a weak draft hand after a fantastic trade period. It’s great for us to feel really optimistic again after a lean period.

For starters, the bid should have come after Green.

Is there a single person that believes Green shouldn't have been bid in before Henry?

Even just for that reason to me it's apparent that SOS was being petty.

Freo and the Blues were after the same players in the draft. We traded to take them out of the picture and they tried to do the same to us. We were in direct competition and SOS had a bit of a sook imo when you missed you're real targets.

Sure. A Henry bid came when it did. Nothing wrong with that but why wasn't Green bid on first if it wasn't just a middle finger to Freo?
You must think highly of your club if you believe SOS gave a s**t about Freo ..he bid on Henry to buy time to get other deals in place ...smart thinking and use of the bidding system. Freo where totally irrelevant

GWS not to shabby either

It's okay but the Blues have the best Under 23 talent in the AFL. GCS improving dramatically as well.

Curnow
McKay
Weitering
Setterfield
Walsh
Stocker
Cuningham
SPS
Dow
O'Brien
Marchbank
DeKoning
Kemp
Fisher
Williamson
plus a few others that I reckon will step up as well including this years draftees Philp Honey Ramsey & Phillip

(Log in to remove this ad.)

70%ish not wanting him @ 3 is pretty damning is it not?

qualifies as a reach
I find Richmond the most interesting draft of everyone, admittedly they can afford to take a risk this year. However on face value their first pick was rated by most in the 30’s and their second and third picks at 44 & 45 they took players that Brisbane didn’t value at pick 59 and they have watched them closely all year.

I reckon Adelaide had a preliminary deal with Carlton to trade up to 6. But really wanted McAsey. Their back up was Stephens.

Once Sydney took Stephens, Adelaide weren’t willing to risk McAsey going and reneged on the deal, made easier by the fact Carlton screwed around with Gibbs and essentially cost Adelaide a flag.

We’ve traded with Adelaide since 2016. Don’t think Gibbs was much of a factor on Wednesday.

The original post was under 25s .... but all good, you boys have set yourselves up nicely .... let’s see if it comes together

Under 25s just means the best player in the comp is included into the list of Carlton young guys, so that's alright.

Yeh - I reckon Reid wanted to do the trade but his backup staff said ' remember we would have won the 2017 flag with Gibbs.'

Reid said - 's**t - I forgot ...sorry SOS deals off.

Yeh - I reckon Reid wanted to do the trade but his backup staff said ' remember we would have won the 2017 flag with Gibbs.'

Reid said - 's**t - I forgot ...sorry SOS deals off.

Why was your club so underprepared to trade down? That it needed extra time to make trades.

Most clubs did it within allocated time. Like Freo and Port.

As a “VFL guy” I’ve gotta say I’ve never seen such passion and sooking from Freo fans before.

Eagles fans, is this common?

I'm just in denial that there's officially nothing footy related for months now so I'm just having trouble letting go.

Don't tell me you expect me to go watch cricket or something?

It's okay but the Blues have the best Under 23 talent in the AFL. GCS improving dramatically as well.

Curnow
McKay
Weitering
Setterfield
Walsh
Stocker
Cuningham
SPS
Dow
O'Brien
Marchbank
DeKoning
Kemp
Fisher
Williamson
plus a few others that I reckon will step up as well including this years draftees Philp Honey Ramsey & Phillip
That’s usually what 10 years of s**t footy gets you. But well done.
Imagine the list you could’ve had with some decent recruiters...

Yeah how much better would it be if we gave up 9 and paid Martin the same wage just structured differently.

Glad you aren’t our list manager.
You’re over-paying for him full stop. and betts is cooked. So justifying it with pick comments and payment structure means zero. Sorry, but is this really a shock to you?
& i actually think I could’ve done a better job than your current list manager. but then you’d be a stronger team for it. So all’s good as is....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back