Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Is setterfield really a star yet?

Of course not. Nowhere near that level at the moment.

But he did look terrific at times throughout 2019 in particular towards the end of the season, so we're understandably very confident he'll be a terrific footballer.

I find Richmond the most interesting draft of everyone, admittedly they can afford to take a risk this year. However on face value their first pick was rated by most in the 30’s and their second and third picks at 44 & 45 they took players that Brisbane didn’t value at pick 59 and they have watched them closely all year.
If the order that Ralphsmith and Dow were taken at were swapped then it wouldn’t have looked as strange.

I agree though, it was an interesting/unusual draft for us.

It's okay but the Blues have the best Under 23 talent in the AFL. GCS improving dramatically as well.

Curnow
McKay
Weitering
Setterfield
Walsh
Stocker
Cuningham
SPS
Dow
O'Brien
Marchbank
DeKoning
Kemp
Fisher
Williamson
plus a few others that I reckon will step up as well including this years draftees Philp Honey Ramsey & Phillip
A few of the players you've listed here have shown next to nothing at AFL level, while others have literally yet to play a game.

Off the top of my head
Joel Selwood
Jake Lever
Jake stringer
These guys all missed there top age draft year and still went on to be drafted in the first round and become star players

Sel didn't do his ACL, just an fyi. Had knee troubles, but not an ACL

Not a bad haul for West Coast considering we didn’t start till the 3rd round.

Would’ve preferred a mid like Byrnes over Jamieson but the pick of Johnson made up for it.

Treacy is there as a list replacement for Willie Rioli I’m assuming. Mature aged, ready to play.

Stoked with the O’Niell pick and Ah Chee and Brayshaw we’re committed too. Would’ve loved a punt on a rookie mid instead of Chee but that’s a personal preference.

Feel a bit sorry for Brisbane, their academy had been pillaged.
Feel no sympathy given they traded out a heap of picks that could have kept those academy players when they traded with Port Adealide over a week ago and another pick of 48 to Collingwood a week ago, Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Off the top of my head
Joel Selwood
Jake Lever
Jake stringer
These guys all missed there top age draft year and still went on to be drafted in the first round and become star players
Not what I said. Selwood didn’t do an ACL. Neither did Stinger. Surely you’re having a laugh with Lever. He’s done the other risk picking ACL players. He’s done two

Carlton fans are so salty about GCS pick 11 went to Geelong , what about those GWS handout Carlton got in setterfield (top 5) and Kennedy. Both first round pick and Carlton only paid second Rd for it. A lot of silvagni GWS special pick also.
Screwing GCS, Fremantle, GWS in one go instead of giving up pick 9 for 15,20 and Martin is good for Carlton fans, I think all three club will avoid to deal with Carlton in future or use the same tactics on them wait until last minute.

Last edited:
Feel a bit sorry for Brisbane, their academy had been pillaged. And apparently no club is allowed to bid on any player in Gold Coast's Darwin academy zone that the Suns want.

AFL making up rules as they go

It goes to show that Brisbane is doing a great job with its academy and the benefits are flowing to other clubs. Don’t feel sorry for them.

The AFL changed the rules for Gold Coast for the next couple of years so that their academy players can be pre-listed for no loss of draft points. This might be as big a lift as getting priority picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton fans are so salty about GCS pick 11 went to Geelong , what about those GWS handout Carlton got in setterfield (top 5) and Kennedy. Both first round pick and Carlton only paid second Rd for it. A lot of silvagni GWS special pick also.

How does that make sense ? Your Suns pick (11) is from next year's draft anyway, so you got your facts wrong there for one thing.

Secondly I like the Suns personally myself and wish them all the best for the future, despite the Jack Martin debacle.

We are? I must have missed the memo.
In all seriousness though, I'm happy with the changes to Carlton's list so anything that other clubs have or haven't done is ultimately irrelevant.

We are? I must have missed the memo.
In all seriousness though, I'm happy with the changes to Carlton's list so anything that other clubs have or haven't done is ultimately irrelevant.
We are? Not salty but just vinegar blue fans ;). Look how many post GCS, GWS, Fremantle fans talk about who your club pick and your draft trade here , compare to blues fan talking about other club draft pick and draft trade the ratio is about 8:2

Last edited:
In this universe... they’re sucking up $1.3m - $1.4m of your cap next year. But hey, knock yourself out...

We've been banking extra money for the last 3 years. We didn't land Conglio or Papley so had to spend it. Betts is cheap and Martin gets most of his contract up front. We now have lots of SC room in years to come. Club are extremely happy and so are most of its supporters

Man Carlton fans are intolerable. Wish I could filter them out somehow they make this thread almost unreadable.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4
Consider changing your name.
Screwing GCS, Fremantle, GWS in one go instead of giving up pick 9 for 15,20 and Martin is good for Carlton fans, I think all three club will avoid to deal with Carlton in future or use the same tactics on them wait until last minute.
What are you on about..I haven’t read anywhere on this thread CFC supporters are hung up about what transpired between GWS and Cats.
It’s a free market, two party discussion,an agreement is reach between clubs and we move on.
It’s not rocket science.

Consider changing your name.

What are you on about..I haven’t read anywhere on this thread CFC supporters are hung up about what transpired between GWS and Cats.
It’s a free market, two party discussion,an agreement is reach between clubs and we move on.
It’s not rocket science.
Not many people got the opportunity or privilege to learn science like you , I don't have any idea what is rocket science my apologies.

Feel no sympathy given they traded out a heap of picks that could have kept those academy players when they traded with Port Adealide over a week ago and another pick of 48 to Collingwood a week ago, Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Not a failure to plan really. Got the player we wanted from the academy, and passed on the other 2 who weren't in our plans - as we have done before.

Making that statement you’ve obviously sighted the contracts..I’d say you’re going on what you read or heard..all here say..only folk who are in the know are player, manager, club and the AFL..
Move on, you don't agree you don't have to read opinion post, putting opinion in forum is not a statement is personal opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back