Preview 2019 Round 16 Richmond vs Suns. Metricon 6/7 2pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Egg set to debut, Richmond will have used the most number of players in the league this season. (38)

The only players not to play
Grigg, RCD, Turner, English, Moore, Aarts, Miller, Pickett

Also have the lowest number of players to have played every game (3)
Lynch, Prestia and McIntosh

Last edited:

With Egg set to debut, Richmond will have used the most number of players in the league this season. (38)

The only players not to play
Grigg, RCD, Turner, English, Moore, Aarts, Miller, Pickett

Also have the lowest number of players to have played every game (3)
Lynch, Prestia and McIntosh
Turner would of been close for a debut before the stress fractures, aarts could of got games and Pickett will

so why is everyone raving on about Will Brodie ? he can't even displace Miles...
Brodie doesn’t really work hard defensively that’s why dew ain’t a fan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Egg the 6th debutant this year (played first AFL game).

Balta, Stack, Ross, CJJ, Naish, Egg
It was so funny collingwood and the media fawning over their "first and only" debutant of the year.
I was under the impression they had heaps of injuries.

As I’m sitting here at Coburg Lake watching the boys endlessly fly up and down the flying fox I started contemplating where Richmond are positioned in 2019.
Like many, once Rance went down I got pretty depressed about our season and not having to see the great man with that magnificent physique orchestrate the back line has been difficult and challenging. Last year unlike 2017 we ran the wrong race as we decided to play the hare rather than the tortoise and by seasons end we failed to reach the finish line. This year has been different as we’ve had no choice due to the injury gods working against us and we’ve been forced to play a host of kids whilst our senior stars have been in rehabilitation.
I honestly believe this has been a blessing in disguise and that our premiership window is still open as our stars slowly filter back for the marathon it’s meant to be.
In 2019 the tortoise could still win this race If no more serious injuries are to fall upon us. The return of Short and now Egg after injuries has shown that the club can get players back to the standard pretty well straightaway in their first games. Short’s game of halfback last week was absolutely scintillating and this forced us to use another trump card in Stack to run amok in the forward line.
I’ve probably been unfair to Tom Lynch as he’s had to carry the tall forward position on his lonesome self. This again opened another door for young Chol who came off a broken leg ( magnificent recovery for a big man)only last season to come out and play his breakout game last weekend .
Young Jack Graham has struggled for 12 months or more with chronic shoulder issues is now starting to look like the Jack Graham That Is rather than the Jack Graham That Isn’t. I’m all in hope that we get our full side fully firing in preparation to play finals by round 19 , in order to have a full tilt for our 12th flag.
Collingwood and West Coast Eagles both started slowly last year and went on to play in the grand final. Collingwood were easily beaten by us in both home and away games only to have our measure in the pre-lim. Their injuries were nowhere near as significant as ours have been this year especially in those 50/50 games. If we win by around 50 points this weekend our percentage will be around 100 which is pretty well amazing considering the young blood that’s been forced onto the park.
My conclusion is that 2019 the competition being so competitive the premiers are still undecided and can come from anywhere in the eight.
The Richmond football club will not be there in September just making up the numbers, so fasten your seatbelts and get on the Tiggy train as the ride is just beginning.

Last edited:
So is this round finally the one where we beat a side by 60+ points?

Anyway, this is another non-negotiable game for us. We did what we had to do against St Kilda, so now we need to bank another win before our hard stretch against GWS, Port Adelaide and Collingwood. Preferable if the win was 60+ points, but Gold Coast games at Metricon are often an arm wrestle so I’ll understand if we don’t.

One thing though. Please, no more bombing the ball blindly. It’s what is stopping us from both scoring more and conceding less. Blind bombs inside 50 does not favour our smaller forward line and blind bombs from defence will see the ball come straight back for a potential mark in our defensive 50 by the opposition.

Apart from that, I have a feeling that we’ll win well. At this point of the season I’m sure that the boys understand how crucial a win would be in every remaining game

Actually feel like we don't bomb blindly I50.... it looks deliberate. It's terrible and doesn't work but I think the guys are so used to JR making a contest out of anything that they expect Lynch to do the same or better.

I want to see him on the lead more (and then have our guys lower their eyes).

Actually feel like we don't bomb blindly I50.... it looks deliberate. It's terrible and doesn't work but I think the guys are so used to JR making a contest out of anything that they expect Lynch to do the same or better.

I want to see him on the lead more (and then have our guys lower their eyes).
Yeah it definitely seems like a tactic and I want them lowering their eyes more too.

When our pressure was rampant, this bombing to space worked at a wide ground like the MCG because our ability to close down space fast meant that we had the advantage. The ball would fall on the ground and we were terrific at ground level. Yes, we lost quite a few games away from the MCG because this tactic didn’t work as well on narrower grounds, but the MCG is where the finals and Grand Final would be played if we finished high enough (which we did).

Now that our pressure advantage is all but gone though, bombing to space is no longer an advantage. This is especially so without Riewoldt as you just said. I wish we would just adjust as a playing group to our circumstances a little better and stop using that tactic. The game that we probably didn’t bomb as much was the Fremantle game at Optus Stadium, and our offence was fantastic. More of that and less of our forward ball movement against Geelong for the rest of the season please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back