List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He's alright he's just a bit of a stirrer, he doesn't mean any harm. Don't take people on here too seriously Coops, generally they aren't out to get you, most of the time it's just poorly thought out humour from most of us. Sometimes people get temporarily s**tty when we say things they don't want to hear but that's what forums are like.
What have I said that is stirring. He keeps asking Mikka for gossip, I said people get PM's.
If Mikka doesn't want to send you or the other poster PM's why abuse and have a go at me?
Maybe he doesn't like either of you. Not my fault.

Hmmm. I'm divided. I do think it is a sign of weakness if I'm honest, and most of us would as quick to ridicule another club for begging HQ for favours, especially a Foundation club such as us.

However, I agree with Diehard, Gringo, and anyone else claiming that Paddy, Dylan, Stuv and Koby vindicate at least the question being asked.

Also, if I'm nitpicking, we got Koschitzke with the PP, not Riewoldt surely. If we'd got the first pick instead of the first two picks, I'm pretty sure we would still have got Roo and left Kosi for whoever had pick 2.
Is accepting money from the AFL a sign of weakness?

The AFL is all about managing the "evenness" of the competition by implementing various equalisation methodologies. The only thing I don't like about priority is picks is that its up to the club to ask for them.

Its should be an automatic process determined purely by the AFL. Bottom 6 clubs performance are assessed before every draft and the AFL, based on the something like the criteria already established, then awards priority picks.

The picks should at a predetermined spot in the draft (say 7/8/9 in the first round) and could include additional 2nd or 3rd round picks if required.

Lets say this year Gold Coast and St Kilda are the ones assessed as needing PP's. Gold Coast is a basket case so it gets Pick 7, 26, 28 & 46. That's a bit over Pick 1 equivalent in points. Saints assessed as not so bad so gets Pick 8 and 27 which is about pick 3 on points.

Lessens the potential adverse draft impact on the other clubs finishing near the bottom.

Given Carlton has already been given heaps so NO NO NO to them.

Just for the record and to clarify...

The whole "PM" is an ongoing joke in here.

A few years back a poster had some goss that he didn't want to share publicly and told people to PM him for details.

The result was about 10 pages of people requesting a PM.

So it's an old joke and deliberate s**t stir.

Joffa has a block on his PM, hence the sarcasm of requesting people to PM him.

So if anyone needs further explanation, PM him.

Is accepting money from the AFL a sign of weakness?

The AFL is all about managing the "evenness" of the competition by implementing various equalisation methodologies. The only thing I don't like about priority is picks is that its up to the club to ask for them.

Its should be an automatic process determined purely by the AFL. Bottom 6 clubs performance are assessed before every draft and the AFL, based on the something like the criteria already established, then awards priority picks.

The picks should at a predetermined spot in the draft (say 7/8/9 in the first round) and could include additional 2nd or 3rd round picks if required.

Lets say this year Gold Coast and St Kilda are the ones assessed as needing PP's. Gold Coast is a basket case so it gets Pick 7, 26, 28 & 46. That's a bit over Pick 1 equivalent in points. Saints assessed as not so bad so gets Pick 8 and 27 which is about pick 3 on points.

Lessens the potential adverse draft impact on the other clubs finishing near the bottom.

Given Carlton has already been given heaps so NO NO NO to them.
Nekminnit AFL gives us band one compo for Newnes...

Just for the record and to clarify...

The whole "PM" is an ongoing joke in here.

A few years back a poster had some goss that he didn't want to share publicly and told people to PM him for details.

The result was about 10 pages of people requesting a PM.

So it's an old joke and deliberate s**t stir.

Joffa has a block on his PM, hence the sarcasm of requesting people to PM him.

So if anyone needs further explanation, PM him.
Dont PM me. I tried that joke on the Crusty one and forgot I had turned it back on.

Full and frank exchange of views exchanged.

Actually shared some intel with each other, like VDS looks great in a grey hoodie etc.

Jesus ******* wept. Can we cut the piling in on the 'bullying' ffs! I'm going to lose it & beat the ******* crap out of the next person that says anything....
threatening physical abuse....kind of bullying imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have lost 5 players to concussion in 24 months, and another to a heart condition. After that, are people on here genuinely not wanting to ask for a PP? Seriously??

The last PP we got played 142 games for us, was an AA & B+F winner before 21 and captained us for 2 years
The one before that played 336 games, was a 6 x B+F, 5 x AA and captained us for 11 years

5 minutes after the draft was over, did anyone really give a f**k how Luke Ball and Nick Riewoldt arrived at the club?

Seriously, did anyone not cheer Roo week in week out because he was a PP? I bet most on here even forget that he was a PP. Why? Because 5 minutes after it happened nobody gave a f**k. Opposition fans might have been outraged for 5 seconds, but for the next 17 years we all happily celebrated everything Roo achieved. For the last 20 years we have undoubtedly been a stronger club because we got a PP in 2000.

Seriously, would any of us have celebrated 09 any less (if we had won) because 2 of the players on that day were priority picks? Because if we said no to the AFL handouts we got in 2000 and 2002 then we likely don't get near those GF's in 09/10. Those picks didn't weaken us in any way, and only helped us get closer to a flag between 04-10.

More importantly, does anyone actually think we are not already competing with teams made stronger by AFL handouts? Did Geelong pay fair price for Scarlett or Ablett? No. They just said thank you and went about winning flags. Does anyone think that Hawthorn dynasty wasn't loaded with a couple of priority picks?? Are GWS, GC, Melbourne and Carlton not already running around with double or triple the first round talent we have on our list?

Screw being proud. We have minimal A grade talent, and the best place to find it is at the pointy end of the draft. I don't care what ass we have to kiss or who we have to beg from, I want access to that talent. Seriously, would you rather be proud? Or would you rather have a completely free swing at a potential A grade mid?

IMO, those who see this as a sign of weakness can GAGF. I want a premiership! And if getting a PP gets us one step closer, then I don't give a rodents rectum who we have to ask and who gets pi**ed off in the process

Preach it.

Although if we get one it might be hard for them to then deny GC and even possibly Carlton but meh. We need all the help we can get.

So does anyone that follows sandy think Sam Fox would have got a call up if he were on our list at some stage this year? Looks to be pretty consistent at half forward.
With Rats now in charge he would've been in with a sniff you'd reckon ;)

fox-rat_1542937i.jpg

Doubt very much we will get a priority pick but it was most probably put forward to see if we could get extra cap space due to having contracted players unable to play - I would expect Roberton and McCartin would be close to the million mark , Pierce and Longer were most probably going to be de-listed anyway.

So If we get a allowance to wipe the slate clean there it would give us another chunk of cash to put towards our salary cap space.

It's good they are making the case for the priority pick is great by Leathlean but the uproar will be huge if it occurs.

We have lost 5 players to concussion in 24 months, and another to a heart condition. After that, are people on here genuinely not wanting to ask for a PP? Seriously??

The last PP we got played 142 games for us, was an AA & B+F winner before 21 and captained us for 2 years
The one before that played 336 games, was a 6 x B+F, 5 x AA and captained us for 11 years

5 minutes after the draft was over, did anyone really give a f**k how Luke Ball and Nick Riewoldt arrived at the club?

Seriously, did anyone not cheer Roo week in week out because he was a PP? I bet most on here even forget that he was a PP. Why? Because 5 minutes after it happened nobody gave a f**k. Opposition fans might have been outraged for 5 seconds, but for the next 17 years we all happily celebrated everything Roo achieved. For the last 20 years we have undoubtedly been a stronger club because we got a PP in 2000.

Seriously, would any of us have celebrated 09 any less (if we had won) because 2 of the players on that day were priority picks? Because if we said no to the AFL handouts we got in 2000 and 2002 then we likely don't get near those GF's in 09/10. Those picks didn't weaken us in any way, and only helped us get closer to a flag between 04-10.

More importantly, does anyone actually think we are not already competing with teams made stronger by AFL handouts? Did Geelong pay fair price for Scarlett or Ablett? No. They just said thank you and went about winning flags. Does anyone think that Hawthorn dynasty wasn't loaded with a couple of priority picks?? Are GWS, GC, Melbourne and Carlton not already running around with double or triple the first round talent we have on our list?

Screw being proud. We have minimal A grade talent, and the best place to find it is at the pointy end of the draft. I don't care what ass we have to kiss or who we have to beg from, I want access to that talent. Seriously, would you rather be proud? Or would you rather have a completely free swing at a potential A grade mid?

IMO, those who see this as a sign of weakness can GAGF. I want a premiership! And if getting a PP gets us one step closer, then I don't give a rodents rectum who we have to ask and who gets pi**ed off in the process
I'm not against a PP as such but I will say that Nick Riewoldt would have been a saint regardless… we had the #1 pick, so Kosi was the bonus there.

Take away the pre first round PP's in 2001, then we have pick #2 maybe all of Hodge, Ball or Judd still there.

I do think a first round PP is too much, end of first round is a good area for an extra pick.

I wouldn't complain if we were given an extra top 5 pick, just don't think it's good for the comp long term.

The worst rort of the PP system was Collingwood ending up with picks 2 & 5 in 2005 after playing in a grand final just two years earlier and winning 8 games in 2004.

That one possibly cost us a premiership 5 years later.

Ah s**t, I never realised how much that impacted us. I remember at the time everybody thought it was a joke and IIRC may have led to the rules being tweaked to poor performances over two years rather than one.

Given that Daisy was Collingwood's best across both finals and Pendlebury got the Norm Smith in the second it really was the difference.

Add it to the list with unlucky bounces, medical treatments being banned too late. We really would have to be the unluckiest team to have missed out on a flag.

In regards to any change of AFL policy with priority picks, the issue of concussion is undoubtedly a growing concern that the league is facing.

HQ have been hot on clubs for any dodgy diagnosis with head knocks for a while now as they're scared stiff of legal action down the track. We're seeing a number of former players make claims that they are suffering debilitating side effects from the concussions that they copped years ago. Hence why we've seen the crack down on accidental head high contact, etc.

The next step is pushing clubs to make early calls on players who have suffered multiple concussions before any permanent damage is caused. An impossible judgement I know.

Without the possibility of replacing a player via an additional draft pick, a club may be adverse to advising a player to retire after continual concussions.
Which is possibly what we have seen with Paddy. His value at the club has made the club go through the process of getting him fit to play, see him cop another hit, another stint on the sidelines and then rinse and repeat. I'm sure they've had his best interests at heart as concussion treatment (and prevention) is still a bit of a mystery in the world of sport.

Maybe (and it is a big maybe), if a club has the availability of a compensation pick in the event of a medically advised retirement then they will be more open to making that hard call on a player (for their own good).

Working out the compensation is the next question. Maybe a pick at the end of the round the player was picked in for a young player under 50 games like Paddy and a formula based on age, accomplishments, etc for older players?

For example;

Paddy- End of 1st Round
Robbo- 2nd round pick after existing 2nd rounder
Longer- 4th round
Pierce- Rookie pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back