BBL 2020-21 Big Bash League season

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone give an example of how the Super sub will work better than it did in ODI's? It was pretty pointless from memory right?
From what I remember, all it did was give the team bowling first an extra batsman as they'd sub out a bowler once he'd bowled his ten, and as there wasn't as much point bringing in a bowler for a batsman the teams would name an extra batsman as the sub (they had to name it before the toss) and hope they'd bowl first.

From what I remember, all it did was give the team bowling first an extra batsman as they'd sub out a bowler once he'd bowled his ten, and as there wasn't as much point bringing in a bowler for a batsman the teams would name an extra batsman as the sub (they had to name it before the toss) and hope they'd bowl first.

and thats why it didn't work well.

i do remember though when it was about James Hopes was our perfect supersub - utility player - could be used as an extra bat or make the bowling a little deeper.

I must be the only bloke that LIKES the changes. The BBL needed a freshen up. None of the rules are bad. I like the sub rule it brings tactics into it. The Bonus Point is great you'll see teams going for 3 point wins late in the year.

I must be the only bloke that LIKES the changes. The BBL needed a freshen up. None of the rules are bad. I like the sub rule it brings tactics into it. The Bonus Point is great you'll see teams going for 3 point wins late in the year.
i just see a few mickey mouse rules being injected into a comp that already suffers from being seen as mickey mouse cricket

Thought of some other rule changes

* umpires have to close their eyes for an over and signal what they think happened by the reaction of the crowd.
* powerball - on the last ball of the 2nd innings - it's winner takes all. The batting team need a 3 or more to win. If the match has already been decided as the chasing team has the runs already - then the bowling team can still win by taking a wicket.

i just see a few mickey mouse rules being injected into a comp that already suffers from being seen as mickey mouse cricket

Maybe so but it's worth a try. My main issue is still the length. Why there aren't double and triple headers during school holidays ESPECIALLY when there will be bubbles I have no idea.

How is the competition already suffering from that? And how do you know?

If anything, it has suffered from being extended to a legitimate full h&a competition, a feature which would ordinarily be the antithesis of a mickey mouse league.

I like the power play rule but really iffy on the other 2. How often will teams just try to go for the 1 point instead of all 4?
This is what sets the BBL back from the IPL, these unnecessary gimmicks.

Can someone confirm this? Laughable if accurate. (I'm assuming he means Team B will go through?)

How is it any different to any bonus point system? In the past you’d have to ensure they didn’t pass your total in 40 overs or crawl to 80% of the target.

Don’t forget that great game where Tassie collapsed in a heap chasing a bonus point and lost the game from an unloseable position

It’s why they bring it in, brings a new dimension to the game. It means a team chasing 220 has another more achievable target than getting bundled out for 100 and getting nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone confirm this? Laughable if accurate. (I'm assuming he means Team B will go through?)

Team A would get 3 and Team B would get 1 point, but I get your drift, it’ll be interesting to see what happens. The toss could become crucial in this scenario.

I think they are allowed to have bowled one which doesn't give you a lot of room to move so yeah would expect the team batting first to use it a lot more.

100% correct.
Don't see how/why side bowling first would use this.
The only fair thing is that both sides have the option to bring in another batter after 10 overs.

Pretty much. It was terribly lop-sided. The game is evleven vs eleven, leave it as such. (I'm no fan of the concussion rule, but understand the health concerns and can grudgingly accept it is necessary at times.)

Then again, T20 is so far removed from cricket that it doesn't really matter what extra bastardry they add to it. Except, playing too much different from the rules in internationals surely affects the chances of winning trophies.

Pretty much. It was terribly lop-sided. The game is evleven vs eleven, leave it as such. (I'm no fan of the concussion rule, but understand the health concerns and can grudgingly accept it is necessary at times.)

Then again, T20 is so far removed from cricket that it doesn't really matter what extra bastardry they add to it. Except, playing too much different from the rules in internationals surely affects the chances of winning trophies.

its honestly going to be bordering on Blernsball by the end of the decade.

Even the names of the rule changes are completely cringeworthy.

Exactly who are they trying to appeal to? Children? People attracted to bright, pretty colours and obnoxious dance music after each delivery?

They've completely destroyed what could have been an elite sporting competition and made it little more than a low quality side show attraction.

Well done, CA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back