Preview 2020 AFL Grand-Final: Richmond v Geelong @ The GABBA (Serious one)

Remove this Banner Ad

If Dusty wins his 3rd Norm surely they will rename it the Dustin Martin Medal.

Sup guys, just wanted to get your guys perspective on what it’s like to support a great side - cos I know a lot of you used to be in the same position as me in not knowing what that’s like for my whole life...
You’ll be right mate
First ten years are the hardest
I don't know about that...I did the entire 37 and 2016 felt as bad as any of the previous 36 :(
But then I was fortunate enough to have 10 good ones with 3 cups before that.
I think the longer you wait...the sweeter it is...and the 2017 GF was my best time ever.
And seeing as you're an Essendon supporter...
The 37 years of losing and sacking coaches and stuffing up draft picks...etc...used to affect me so badly...that I refused to allow my 2 sons to support Richmond...and coaxed them down the Essendon path...it was my fathers team...and back in the late 90's...that looked like a much safer option for them...who could have known.
The beautiful irony of all that is...10 years ago they upped and took off with their mother...and I have never seen them again.
So, they may have taken all my possessions and my name...but they didn't get to enjoy the success of my football team...that I've had all to myself :)
Interestingly, when I first started supporting Richmond, my mother, who grew up there, used to tell me about the great 23 year premiership drought, that ended in 1967. Seemed unbelievable to me back then, with my 10 years of regular success. Never thought I'd be doing 37 years myself. Now we could have 3 in 4 years. You never know what's around the corner.

The tigers team that spanked the cats earlier this season (if not for poor accuracy we win by 45+) is also far better now than they were then

yeah I see us doing it comfortably. Could be wrong but geelong really fell to pieces in that game. If they didn’t have Ratogolea it would have been 10 goals to 1

Another dumb question:

did the fact that you wore your home kit in 2019 make it any more special?
I feel like if Essendon won a flag in their red clash I’d be praying we got another in black.
It made absolutely no difference on grand final day in 2017. I thought it would look wrong or feel a little different, but once the game started...

Alot has been made about how we don't really have a team of stars and it's our system that gets us our premiership (which is weird considering we have the best finals player of all time).

So is this game a game of a bunch of individual great players VS a proper coached team ?

Yeah, I think it's a ridiculous theory and an insult to the all the current players.

This is a very underrated post and pretty much sums it up.

This is why I pray they don't name Ratugolea as he has a big enough body to take marks for Geelong one or two kicks out of defence. Then a quick dish off and they are away. Yes they have other tall options but they are less bulky and more prone to having their marks spoiled. As soon as the ball goes to ground, or even out of bounds, we reset. And then we are the team that is away.

Almost all our losses to good teams have been when the oppo are able to maintain possession, and that requires pinpoint precision all game (I think the Eagles did this to us a few years ago), or they have someone tall to clunk all the marks and we die a death by a thousand cuts because we simply can't get the ball to ground and rebound (Cox, Naughton).

The sh*t teams have beaten us with massive flood, that's the other way to beat us, but you end up with a low scoring bore-fest and it's a 50/50 whether you score enough goals on the rebound to win anyhow. I think we'd just bomb from 60 if that happens again. Would be very surprised if Geelong turned their gameplan upside down and tried this, but I guess we have to be ready for it.

Are Geelong really going to be able to pull of a game where they rarely have a turnover? On a wet, greasy night? When the ball carrier will be under constant pressure from his Richmond opponent?
I thought Ratugolea's burst in the last quarter when we played them last was absolutely terrifying. 100% the type of player who could take the game away from us.

I'm less concerned about Rhys Stanley. Let's hope they go with him.

100%
It might be recency bias, but he always seems to dominate in the air against us. at 3/4 time in rnd17 I was thinking, what a pleasant surprise that Rata hasn’t looked like tearing the game open, next 20 minutes he almost did.Unstoppable the way he flies at the ball, if he hones the rest of his game, he'll be a serious player

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another dumb question:

I feel like if Essendon won a flag in their red clash I’d be praying we got another in black.
Made no difference. 217 probably more special being the drought breaker and being the underdog.

now our clash jumper is just known as premiership yellow

I loved the way Marbs, caddy and Oleg celebrated after the siren against port.
Normal the emergencies would secretly hoping for an injury but not these three.

Lol Fevola saying he doesn't like Barty being our choice for cup presenter. Fev just salty Carlton would never chose him even if they did manage to make a grand final in his lifetime.
Who cares what that fat * says

Lol Fevola saying he doesn't like Barty being our choice for cup presenter. Fev just salty Carlton would never chose him even if they did manage to make a grand final in his lifetime.
At the risk of sounding slightly arrogant; who the * has any right to question what the Richmond Football Club decides to do? Have we not earned the benefit of the doubt by now?

Another dumb question:

Not a dumb question, an interesting one. A lot of neutrals expected us to be pissed about it, but most of us really like that guernsey, and now it holds a special place in our history.

Another dumb question:

Even after another premiership in 2019, I will always think of our yellow clash as our Premiership Guernsey.

I am interested to see what Balta can do. If Grimes and Astbury can curb Hawkins that could free up Balta and look at.

Can Broad help with Danger in the backline?

Broad is good because he can play tall or short (as can Grimes), but I would be tipping Vlastuin or maybe even Jack Graham follows him.

Broad is good because he can play tall or short (as can Grimes), but I would be tipping Vlastuin or maybe even Jack Graham follows him.

Vlastuin might not be quick enough for Danger in the backline.

I am anticpating Danger to up another level and give his absolute all.

He will be a massive threat I think

Lot of times he has been saving himself in matches this year. Naturally one would think in the GF he will leave it all out there and go kamikaze.

Not sure where he might be positionally. Huge threat up forward but I can see he will want to make an impact wherever he can

Last edited:
0-1 mm predicted for Saturday
10-25 predicted for Sunday

Weather gods wear blue and white apparently
Honestly I would prefer a dry game. One of our biggest assets in this match up is Lynch and Riewoldt vs Taylor and Henderson. Lynch in particular will be twice as effective in the dry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back