Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon that's one thing that's come out of Binuks data analysis work. Clubs were under-rating some of the skinnier guys. At underage they look underwhelming, but if you can be confident they can get the meat on the bones, then they'll come flying back in to contention. All the guys we took late-ish last year were scrawny. Gollant is super scrawny but if he can put some muscle on he might be ok.

Come on, you can’t seriously think Binuk has anything to do with that at all. You have a weird fascination with this guy.

I reckon some of Binuk's work came out with the O'Connor pick where Hamish was talking about what his stats would have looked like with full midfield minutes for Claremont.

You don’t need to be much of a stats person to realise that players would get more touches if they played more midfield time. It’d more likely be WA recruiting staff that identified that the kid didn’t play a lot of midfield time.

We were 4th on a very easy draw and a gameplan that would only find success against weaker teams.

That 4th was as much a false dawn as a false dawn could be.
We were at least fighting through games though. Brisbane, GWS and Richmond games we fought til the very end. Geelong game onwards they just packed in their bags the moment a game got tough.

We were sitting 4th mid-year at the bye. I don’t think the camp could be an issue for our post-bye collapse, when it didn’t appear to impact our first half of the season. It just seems too nonsensical. More likely some ego clashes among the team and mixed messages from the coaches regarding selection, and then the accumulative losses just exacerbated the unhappy environment.

God you talk some absolute garbage.

We were at least fighting through games though. Brisbane, GWS and Richmond games we fought til the very end. Geelong game onwards they just packed in their bags the moment a game got tough.

There are no prizes for fighting through to the very end, especially if you are setting yourself up as a contender. You might be able to take some pride if you are an up and come.

The warning was firmly in the method though, relying on contested ball with no reliable scoring method whilst can get results in the minor rounds will always get exposed in finals. Geelongs rather abysmal final record post 2012 attests to that as the flag bearer of this style (until around this year).

There are no prizes for fighting through to the very end, especially if you are setting yourself up as a contender. You might be able to take some pride if you are an up and come.

The warning was firmly in the method though, relying on contested ball with no reliable scoring method whilst can get results in the minor rounds will always get exposed in finals. Geelongs rather abysmal final record post 2012 attests to that as the flag bearer of this style (until around this year).
Effort is the first non-negotiable any team should be putting up. As long as it's there then you've got something to build on, whether your first or last. We went from having at least that to absolutely nothing by the end of the year.

The key drivers of selection philosophy pre-date Fagan though. I really don’t see him as having had any meaningful influence on football matters.
Yep it’s a club philosophy. They don’t like the scrutiny of losing, it puts their positions under threat and brings on external reviews.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were sitting 4th mid-year at the bye. I don’t think the camp could be an issue for our post-bye collapse, when it didn’t appear to impact our first half of the season. It just seems too nonsensical. More likely some ego clashes among the team and mixed messages from the coaches regarding selection, and then the accumulative losses just exacerbated the unhappy environment.
A big issue the playing group had was the game style ( slow , stifling , shitty , shutdown ) Pyke implemented over the first half of the season .
Even though we squeezed out some wins the players absolutely made it clear that they did not want any part of the ultra defensive , flood numbers back , slow as treacle ball movement , possession maintaining football that the coach thought was necessary for us to get the W's .
This battle of style caused a solid divide throughout the back half of the season until all parties pretty much gave up .
In fairness to the coach it was probably our best hope of eeking out more wins but as a player and spectator it was hard as hell to watch

A big issue the playing group had was the game style ( slow , stifling , shitty , shutdown ) Pyke implemented over the first half of the season .
Even though we squeezed out some wins the players absolutely made it clear that they did not want any part of the ultra defensive , flood numbers back , slow as treacle ball movement , possession maintaining football that the coach thought was necessary for us to get the W's .
This battle of style caused a solid divide throughout the back half of the season until all parties pretty much gave up .
In fairness to the coach it was probably our best hope of eeking out more wins but as a player and spectator it was hard as hell to watch
Although I'm not sure where you got the evidence that "the players absolutely made it clear that they did not want any part of the ultra defensive , flood numbers back , slow as treacle ball movement , possession maintaining football", I do agree that it was as hard as hell to watch. In fact I walked out of a couple of games last season as it was just too painful.

Although I'm not sure where you got the evidence that "the players absolutely made it clear that they did not want any part of the ultra defensive , flood numbers back , slow as treacle ball movement , possession maintaining football", I do agree that it was as hard as hell to watch. In fact I walked out of a couple of games last season as it was just too painful.
There were certainly discussions between players and coaches about game style leading into and through the mid season break .

Fingers crossed lessons have been learned from those who survived the external review. The club was well and truly in shambles.

Onto the present, I love this from Nicksy, it’s an openness I haven’t seen from the AFC for a while and I hope it continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's great. Come and say hi whenever you walk past, I want to talk as much as possible

I don’t think it’s coincidence that Nicks said he will focus on team first when he got the job. We’ve had a selfish playing group for awhile now.
Absolutely. In a team first environment, when you get dropped you congratulate the guy coming in and see how you can help him do well.

In a selfish environment, you sook it up because it was your spot and others were worse than you, then have a whinge about it and demand to come back in after one semi-decent performance...not that we had anyone do that last year

Absolutely. In a team first environment, when you get dropped you congratulate the guy coming in and see how you can help him do well.

In a selfish environment, you sook it up because it was your spot and others were worse than you, then have a whinge about it and demand to come back in after one semi-decent performance...not that we had anyone do that last year

Our coaches drummed the culture of entitlement into our senior players by way of their selection philosophy. Constantly excusing poor performance from senior players due to non-statistical roles, bringing experience and the need to maintain continuity whilst kids get a game and then dropped for a senior player who was either average in the SANFL or didn’t play at all. It’s only injuries that give the kids a genuine crack for multiple games.

We were 4th on a very easy draw and a gameplan that would only find success against weaker teams.

That 4th was as much a false dawn as a false dawn could be.
Point remains, we were competitive in the first half of the season and then the second half we sucked so bad Carlton looked a better team than us! Blaming the drop off this season due to last season's camp is just silly blaming for the sake of blaming. The players had as much to blame as the coaches from what I had seen, particlarly the last 5-6 games this year.

Interesting take on your comment I put in bold font. You're suggesting it was all the coaches fault and no fault on the players themselves?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back